Old 01-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
...Why are two 6v batteries better than one 12v? How would you hook them up, in series?...
Six volt batteries have larger plates which means more surface area to produce a charge.

Take two six volt batteries & line them up, end to end, beside a 12 volt battery. You will immediately notice how much bigger the total package is.

If you have both the room & the wallet, two six volt, deep cycle batteries are the best way to go for boondocking. The only disadvantage is that when one battery bites the dust, it will probably drag down the other one too.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Good post, Tom (make the equipment fit the mission). If drycamping is the mission, the simplest almost everywhere solution is a generator. Lots of other strategies, though: Add extra batteries (but don't mix types or ages), install solar panels (but don't expect long winter nights drain to be offset by a sunny day), install a high output alternator in your towing vehicle (but remember that high output requires heavy delivery cable to service rv batteries and carries risk if rearended when not towing), use a wind generator which can deliver amps at night also (but will probably cause the wind to stop blowing!), be 'amp frugal' and use what you have sparingly. What to do ... its a crapshoot ... golfcart (6v) batteries are very available and affordable, but they will only fit with extensive revamp of the boxes and doors (trust me, I did it). Finally keep in mind that while two 6v batteries will deliver 225a (total, not each) if wired for 12v (series), Grp27 batteries will deliver 210a, they already fit and will not suffer a total loss if one battery dies (what good is one 6v?) Clear as mud, huh?
Brian

Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I'm a little late to the party but I do have a question. I see many people touting Interstate. Does anyone have experience with Trojan? I know the name is highly recognized for golf carts. Thoughts? Experience?
Thank you,
Ron
Old 10-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
As a current Optima owner (in my old Jeep), my experience has not been favorable. The first one lasted about 2 years, lucky for me it croaked 2 weeks before the warrantee expired, Sam's did honor the replacement, but the second battery was only warrantied for the remaining two weeks of the first battery's warrantee.
I am not planning on purchasing another Optima product. I feel these things are way over rated.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Why are two 6v batteries better than one 12v?
Poking around the internet it looks like amp hours are amp hours. I just like the idea of two 12v because that's what our Airstream is; if one craps out the other still provides usable power. We just put two Lifeline GPL-31XT in, 250 amp hours total, they fit east-west within our original FC 25 battery box. Cut the forward battery box lip away (under the hinge) to get them in.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I replaced my factory Interstates with Trojan wet cells. Their warranty is three times longer, and they are performing well. My interstates died at 13 months, exactly one month out of warranty. The Trojans cost more, but you get what you pay for.

Mike
Old 10-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I'm a little late to the party but I do have a question. I see many people touting Interstate. Does anyone have experience with Trojan? I know the name is highly recognized for golf carts. Thoughts? Experience?
Thank you,
Ron
There are plenty of us very familiar with Trojan batteries. They are good batteries period! They are also mostly flooded batteries but they do make an AGM series as well. If you buy flooded batteries, you have signed up for KP duty and that is okay if you don't mind that additional duty checking them all the time. I prefer to fish, grill, explore and drink 'water' when I'm out in the RV. You didn't say so not sure if you are considering flooded wet cell (The kind you have to add water too) or maintenance free Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) You certainly don't want Gel.
AGMs are the new flooded and Lithium is the new AGM so if you get flooded, you are kinda behind the times but its not a bad thing. They do work and last like a good ole' flip phone.
The ROI with AGMs is pretty sound and most are moving to them. There are many to choose from including Trojan.
I'm sure you've heard people talking about and even using Lithium. They are coming on strong and most of the concerns of freezing and fires are already addressed, fixed and a non-issue but will take time for the public to accept that as fact.
Some like Optima. I do to but they waste real estate with that spiral design so you don't get as many amp hours.
Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with Trojan batteries.
There are better including Lifeline, Crown and others with better warranties but they are often a little more expensive.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Richland , Washington
I found the battery boxes in my '85 Sovereign will hold a group 31 battery. It originally came with Group 27. I just put two Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle SLI31MDC batteries in mine, about $115 each. I tend to avoid maintenance-free (more like maintenance-proof) batteries. I've have regular flooded lead acid cells last 10 years or more in my pickup, boat and motorcycle. My original old converter in my Airstream was overcharging my batteries so a new one is on the way.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
I think I am going to buy two Trojan 27TMX batteries. These are the flooded type. I have strongly considered rebuilding the battery box to hold two 6v but I think laziness is setting in!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I have to laugh Ronman. I'm getting lazy too and that's why I don't use flooded batteries! Hey at least get the fill-right battery watering system or what they are called if that is not correct. Those are good flooded batteries from what I hear.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:55 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
At least we admit what our wives think they already know!! Who needs a 12 step program with forums?? ����
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 AM   #26
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I think I am going to buy two Trojan 27TMX batteries. These are the flooded type. I have strongly considered rebuilding the battery box to hold two 6v but I think laziness is setting in!
I have 2 6V 250 AMP Hour Crown Batteries in my rig. They have been great - and I can go for a couple of days with no shore power.

Glad I made the switch to 6V. I would recommend Crown if that is an option for you.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:54 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
JDL,
Never heard of Crown. I did send a post to them requesting info. Any reason you were attracted to them?
Thx
Ron