Old 03-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
That might be the 12V charging line I referred to above. It ran from the generator in the tow vehicle, through a fuse, to the coach battery. In the picture above, it is about a foot to the left of the water fill pipe, and 6" above the rub rail.

On my '59 it is a three prong plug, with one prong unused.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Yeah, I think that's the same one . I guess my next step is to pull that and test the wires to see exactly where they go. Do most people run new wires through to charge the battery rather than use this old style plug? I want to wire the system to a modern style with a battery which is charged by A/C, or tow vehicle. I am not real familiar with the best way to go. Any ideas?

Old 03-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #17
Site Team

, Minnesota
The reason there was a separate charging line for the battery is twofold:

1. The original 6-way connector for the brakes and tail lights did not have a 12V power line. New 7-way connectors do.

2. There were still some positive ground automobiles back then. With a separate charging cord you could rewire it to match the polarity of the tow vehicle.

Most people nowdays switch to a 7-way connector. The drawback is that you can't really get a useful amount of current from the tow vehicle to the battery this way, unless you are on the road several hours and do some careful engineering.

I wasn't long after your trailer was built that Airstream started installing 'Univolts'. These were large, noisy 12 volt converters that could run the 12 volt system and recharge the battery, off of 120Vac feed. Those are usually replaced nowdays with Intellipower converters or some other brand. Doing a forum search on Intellipower or converter will yeild several threads on how to upgrade your system.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the help Don!