Old 10-21-2005, 02:56 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
brevard , North Carolina
Originally Posted by wilburfierce
. . . Plugged in at home I was getting a tingle plugged into the 110 and had to groud the frame w/ wire & rebar. .
Mark ,
The house outlet was not grounded .

Old 10-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburfierce
okay all you engineers , I bought a multi meter . , another totally arcane piece of technology to me . It doesnt have vdc ( out of 15 units @ Lowe's (1hr staring blankly) none did . it does have an arcane icon for ac voltage settings frm 300-200-200m-1.5v , ad nauseum . and dc 300-200-20-2ooom . Would appreciate some feedback on where to set the thing before . I blow it up ! Murphys law tells me that's what'll happen or I bought the wrong thing !

help !

Will
The 20 setting on the DC side will work for voltage tests on your 12 vdc system. If you are checking a 110vac outlet set it to the 200 setting on the AC side. Remember, always just above the voltage you are testing for.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
brevard , North Carolina
Thanks Ben , The batt's here so at least I can try out my new toy on it , if it's charged I'll head back to the wood and procede . I just got my old chainsaw running that plagued me for 2 mos so I may be on a streak . Didn't see any 12v bulbs @ Lowe's BTW .

thanks all,

Will
"How all becomes clear and simple when one opens an eye on the within , having , of course previously exposed it to the without ..."

Samuel Beckett
Old 10-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The big screw in 12 volt DC bulbs that look like regular 110volt household bulbs are only available at RV stores. Not cheap either. Can not remember where I bought my last ones. You should buy one of those $5 outlet plug in checkers also. I carry one in my side pocket of the truck door and check the outlet on all campsites before I go to the trouble of backing in. Find many that are not suitable. Even that does not prevent you from getting a shock if there is an internal short in the trailer. When you park at the WBCCI international rally they always demand you ground your trailer by having a metal jack stand or a grounding rod.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:44 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
brevard , North Carolina
Thumbs up

Many thanks to all , sorted out my connections , even found 2 12v bulbs stowed away . Had a great but ccold weekend ( our 1st cold nite down heah ! Now I need to tackle thermocouples and winterizing !

best regards ,

will

How all becomes clear and simple when one opens an eye on the within , having , of course previously exposed it to the without ..."

Samuel Beckett
Old 11-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
The big screw in 12 volt DC bulbs that look like regular 110volt household bulbs are only available at RV stores.
I have a work light at home that takes the 12v bulbs. It's the kind where the bulb is in a little cage and you hang it under the hood and hook it up to the battery. I was able to find the bulbs for it at Wal-Mart I believe. Either there or Ace. I forget exactly, but I know they were in the first (and last) place I looked and it wasn't an RV store.

Glad to hear that you got your problems worked out. I thought for a second that you were going to try to fix the Airstream with the chainsaw you just repaired!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
I have a work light at home that takes the 12v bulbs. It's the kind where the bulb is in a little cage and you hang it under the hood and hook it up to the battery. I was able to find the bulbs for it at Wal-Mart I believe. Either there or Ace. I forget exactly, but I know they were in the first (and last) place I looked and it wasn't an RV store.
I got a box of 6 at Napa, 75 watt, 12v dc bulbs, for $4/each. You can get an adapter to screw into the 12v sockets, so you can use the smaller 1141 car marker light type bulbs, to cut down on power consumption. If you read the packaging carefully, though, you will see they are around 40 watts or so themselves, and give off much less light. It is a consideration for boondocking, however, when every watt counts. Another more energy efficient option is to put in 1141-type LED's in place of the 1141 bulbs in the adapter. They aren't cheap, either, but last forever, and give off much more light, with even less power consumption, a quick forum search on LED interior lights should show you what you need to know about them.
By the way, here is a photo of our 63 with the 75 watt 12v bulbs installed and operating. Between them and the 110v bulbs, I can really light up the night now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000793.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	15971