Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We've found the furnace fan and water pump to be to big users of juice. We just went six days just on batteries. We keep a gallon jug of water in the bathroom, keep the water pump off and use the jug for flushing most times.

Also if you have subwoofer, be sure the radio is completely off so the woofer isn't being powered. And make sure the antenna booster is off too.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Couldn't you remove the propane cover in order to use the crank in a full circle? It is usually a simple operation to lift the cover off . . .
That is what did when my jack crapped out. Easy peasy, takes 30 seconds.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by phann View Post
I had to use the jack hand crank this summer and found that the propane tank cover prevents you from cranking in a full circle - you have to remove the crank and reconnect every half turn - a real PITA. So...bring an suitable extension that allows you to crank from higher up in a full circle. A large ratchet wrench with extension works even better. Try it out before you leave home.
The propane cover comes off with little effort so you can turn crank 360.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Simple math take your Amp Hour Rating for the Batteries, my West Marine Group 24 AGM's are rated at 79 Amp Hours...maybe liberal; Dual-Purpose AGM Batteries | West Marine
Now don't use more than 60% of the Amp Hours so 79 AH x 2 Batteries = 158 AH X .60 = 94.8 Available Amp Hours. Now take whatever you will be using and figure how long it will be used. For giggles say you would use something with a 5 Amp Draw, 94.8 available Amp Hours divided by 5 Amps would yield 18.96 Hours (using 60%).
Some like using 50% instead of 60 % but this should help you manage the power

I am making provisions for a second Group 24 AGM Battery just for dry-camping. I already have a SOLAR Panel and Regulator that will be used as well.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
We've found the furnace fan and water pump to be to big users of juice. We just went six days just on batteries. We keep a gallon jug of water in the bathroom, keep the water pump off and use the jug for flushing most times.

Also if you have subwoofer, be sure the radio is completely off so the woofer isn't being powered. And make sure the antenna booster is off too.
The water pump does not use much at all from the batteries. The load is about 5 amps and it probably pumps 3 gal/minute. If you have a 30 gal fresh water tank that means it will empty in about 10 minutes using the pump. 10 minutes is 1/6 th of an hour. So, 5 amps x 1/6 hour is about 1 amp hour total to empty the tank. A single group 24 battery has a capacity of around 75 amp hours.

Furnace, and lights and little loads which run long hours are the ones which eat into battery life. Very short term loads like the water pump do not.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
A french press for the coffee is another way to go. go by wall mart and get a pack of those stick-on press lights. You can stick them up anywhere, they come in a pack of three and are led lights. They use AA batteries. I purcased some a few years ago and have yet to replace the AA batteries in them. I have one in the bathroom, so at night just have to press on the light and not have to turn on the bedroom lights. I have replaced most of my lights with Led. I ran the house batteries down on a cold night the next morning I backed the tow vehicle up plugged in the trailer and was able to use the power jack.
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Maggie, do you have a recommendation for a stove top percolator? I was going to use a french press, but that would require 2 things...the french press and a kettle. Percolator would eliminate one item. (Already thinking about staging my FC 19 even though I won't be picking it up for another 3 weeks!)
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #28
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
While we're at it, as I'm a soon-to-be noob as well...When you are plugged into the TV and the engine runs...this trickle charges the batteries, yes? In an emergency could you hook up the TV plug and run the car for a bit to top off batteries? Also, does shore power top them off as well? OK, I'll just come right out and ask it: How DO the batteries charge up?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Maggie, do you have a recommendation for a stove top percolator? I was going to use a french press, but that would require 2 things...the french press and a kettle. Percolator would eliminate one item. (Already thinking about staging my FC 19 even though I won't be picking it up for another 3 weeks!)
Get a good quality, stainless steel one, as the inner bits hold up better.

We have this one, the Rapid-Brew, 12 cup, and love it. Amazon has them, Cabela's has a nice one......just get a good one.

You can always boil water for tea in a saucepan...no need, really, for a kettle, unless it is an aesthetic thing that you just must have.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Just keep an eye on the battery voltage. You can buy a voltage meter for 12V either plug in like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/HappyPrimeDay-...oltage+display

Or get one that you can attach with cables to the battery.

Do not discharge the batteries below 12.0 V - fully charged they will be above 13V. Once they are discharged into the 11V range, they are below 25% which will be damaging. At this level, you are still ok using the jack - but I also would recommend to do this with the TV plugged in and running.

If you do this more often, you should consider a solar panel. We have solar and when the sun is shining our batteries are pretty much always full.
I completely agree with knuff's comments. Keep an eye on battery voltage.
I am currently boondocking on the Outer Banks since Wednesday. Voltage has only dropped from 12.9 to 12.6. I will be here a couple more days. I don't expect it to drop below 12.5v. Just operating lights (led), tv, water pump and charge cell phone and computer. Fridge runs on propane with no phantom load.
Have fun. I love the freedom of camping without hookups.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
I use a French press and a one qt pot to boil water. I have never owned a dedicated water kettle. I use the same press and pot at home so nothing new to buy.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
A Makita coffee maker works also. Boil water in anything you have.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Personally, we/I like having a pot of coffee.

One activity, one perk, a couple of nice mugs full of half regular/half decaf apiece when it was two of us.....I now brew a smaller quantity for just myself, but use the same pot. It has history and memories....I like that.

I like curling up in the mornings, sipping my coffee, watching the news, checking these Forums ....and waking up slowly. Part of the luxury of retirement.

My son drinks several cups in the morning, but uses a press and does them one cup at a time.

It just depends on what you want and need.

Maggie
Old 09-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Airstream Electrical 101

Quote:
While we're at it, as I'm a soon-to-be noob as well...When you are plugged into the TV and the engine runs...this trickle charges the batteries, yes? In an emergency could you hook up the TV plug and run the car for a bit to top off batteries? Also, does shore power top them off as well? OK, I'll just come right out and ask it: How DO the batteries charge up?
Here's just the basics.
Yes, there should be a 12 volt line from the TV that does charge the battery in the trailer. It does so very slowly and can't be counted on to fully charge a depleted battery. It will operate the tongue jack, so you can hitch a trailer with a dead battery.

When you have 120 volt AC power plugged in, there is a converter in the trailer's system that makes part of that power into 12 volt DC. That does charge the battery, as well as powering your lights, etc.. People who like to boondock often carry a generator so they can replenish their batteries while camping. Get a quiet one, worth the extra money.

Do not confuse your converter with an inverter. An inverter takes DC power from the batteries and makes it into 120 volt AC so you can run things like TV sets while camping without AC power. It is not a very efficient process, and will run the batteries down faster. It will not run heavy AC loads like air conditioners and microwave ovens.

There are several good books available on RV electrical systems.

Good luck with your search for an Airstream.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Batteries are generally charged by the convertor when you are plugged in or by the TV when you are on the road. A convertor is just a battery charger.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Get a good quality, stainless steel one, as the inner bits hold up better.

We have this one, the Rapid-Brew, 12 cup, and love it. Amazon has them, Cabela's has a nice one......just get a good one.

You can always boil water for tea in a saucepan...no need, really, for a kettle, unless it is an aesthetic thing that you just must have.

Maggie
Key with the coffee pot pictured, vs electric, is:
1) do not get a fine grind on your beans...it can clog the filter and cause it to drain slower, thus overflow can happen if your on too hot a burner.
2) watch the heat; after it starts to perk fast, turn burner down...we often do this outside on our portable camp stove, but sometimes inside the AS; that is where the front burner is hottest, and can boil over if not careful. Just keep an eye on it... We love the electric when plugged in...but this pot pictured we use always when boon-docking...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:18 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
If your battery is dead I've heard that by connecting the trailer electrical plug to your tow vehicle enough power will come from the car/truck to power the jack.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post

Key with the coffee pot pictured, vs electric, is:
1) do not get a fine grind on your beans...it can clog the filter and cause it to drain slower, thus overflow can happen if your on too hot a burner.
2) watch the heat; after it starts to perk fast, turn burner down...we often do this outside on our portable camp stove, but sometimes inside the AS; that is where the front burner is hottest, and can boil over if not careful. Just keep an eye on it... We love the electric when plugged in...but this pot pictured we use always when boon-docking...
Yes! You are exactly right.

Thanks for adding that. We grind our own beans at the store. Best way to get the proper grind.

We went to all perk, all the time, when traveling, just to avoid carrying two coffee pots.

Maggie
Old 09-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I am a coffee lover.

I ended up getting a 9 cup stainless percolator from Cabelas. To give you a sense of what they mean by a cup. That holds about 1 quart of water.

I grind it chunky, and also put a paper drip filter in the basket. This does 3 things. It keeps a lot of sediment from getting through. And it absorbs some of the coffee oils. And it makes cleanup easier.

I like this coffee pot because it can be used as a means to safely heat and pour hot water also for oatmeal, hot chocolate, or to top off hot water needed for doing dishes if washing something large outside. (I can fill with hot water from inside at the sink, and SAFELY carry and pour it onto my cast iron griddle outside during cleanup)

So while it is true that a small kitchen pan can heat water, please do consider safety and think about a coffee pot or kettle for carrying and pouring hot water.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good points Piggy Bank. Amazon carries smaller versions of the Rapid Brew line for solo coffee drinkers with smaller trailers (weight/storage). Here is the 2-3 cup:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QOM6P2/...=IUR7O1F8NHTCZ

Might work also for melted butter for lobster, hot rum toddies and so forth?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote