Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Steve and Sharon

2015 27' FB International
Panama City , Florida
Battery issues new 2015 27FB International

Well, I have had my coach out twice and continue to be baffled by the battery system. Sometimes it seems to work, and others it doesn't. I just returned from the dealer after having an awning package added and had them check the batteries which they say are good. After towing it home, I thought I would check the condition of the batteries and placing the "in use" with to in use resulted in nothing. I assumed the battery was dead and wasn't charged by my tow vehicle. So I then plugged it into shore power at the house overnight. After 24 hours with the "In use" with in the in use position, I unplugged the shore power and went to check the battery. Sure enough everything seemed to work. I then attempted to cycle the "in use" switch. Turned it off and then back on....no power, the battery would not connect. While in that state however, the inverter powered up just fine. Now I am really confused as to where to start looking to solve the problem. We are planning a six week adventure and I don't want to start the trip until I can solve this.
FL Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
From your description it sure sounds like the USE/STORE switch (relay) is not working right. Since the inverter is not connected through that switch, and it is working properly, there has to be power in the batteries. The fact that the coach also worked for a while until you cycled the switch, then didn't work again points to a problem relay which is erratic. I hate to say it, but another trip to the dealer may be in order.

The only other thing I can come up with is a bad connection at the battery for the wires which powers the coach. They are different than the ones which power the inverter. So, check the battery connections carefully on both the + and - sides. There will be two large wires on each, + and -. One is for the inverter, the other for the coach itself.

I can't think of any other thing which would cause what you are experiencing.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Steve and Sharon

Panama City , Florida
that would be nice but the dealer is 4 hours away.....I was hoping they would solve it on the last trip. I will look at the batteries in the morning. Thanks for the advise
Old 02-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You may have a loose wire in the converter. It will operate everything in the trsiler, but the power won't make it to the battery.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My vote is the relay. You should hear a noticeably loud click near the battery area when pressing the button. Should hear it every time.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

If the relay is the problem its a easy DIY fix. The dealership can mail you a replacement. First disconnect the battery cables then replace out every wire, one at a time. The relay will be located near the front of the trailer near the batteries with some other boxes and wires. It sort of looks like a small top hat. Follow the wires from the batteries to find the relay.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
My 2014 International had a similar problem. I allowed the batteries to go dead while at the storage facility. With spring on the way I decided to tow it to the dealer for some minor warranty work. After hitching up by manually cranking the electric jack, I set off for the dealer. It's a two hour drive so I figuered the batteries would charge on the trip. To my amazement the batteries were still dead upon arrival.
The service manager told me that the battery switch must be in the "use" position or the batteries will not charge while being towed.
I do not remember this being the case with my 2007 International.
Give it a try and see what happens for you.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Here is a photo of the use/store solenoid that lurks under the settee in my unit. Ensure that all connections are tight. Also ensure that the fuses in the top are tight and not blown. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Checking connections

With all shore power and batteries disconnected, pull the "IN USE" switch out of the wall. Making certain the electrical connections do not touch anything, reconnect the batteries and measure the voltages from the connections of the switch to a good ground. With shore power connected do the same. Then switch the IN USE to off and measure again. Cycle on/off several times and if the switch is always consistent it is probably OK and the relay is the culprit.

Caution, be extremely careful not to allow anything to short out. I will use tape to hold things securely so as to avoid accidentally having a hot side touch the metal of the trailer, or worse, have me between the hot and ground. This is not a pleasant sensation....

Good luck
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Here is a photo of the use/store solenoid that lurks under the settee in my unit. Ensure that all connections are tight. Also ensure that the fuses in the top are tight and not blown. Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423941992.258355.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	232396

Old 02-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Steve and Sharon

Panama City , Florida
I hope someone is still following this thread. When I took the disconnect switch off, i noticed that there is one slot behind the circuit board that does not have a wire in it. I was curious if that is the way it should be wired or is there a wire missing on the switch. I tried to upload a picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	disconnect switch.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	232402  
Old 02-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The switch that is most likely not working is as shown in post 10. There are the correct number of wires in the on / off switch that you have shown. You have to look at the other end. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

If your 27FB is like my 2013 model the switch is located in the front storage area, curbside, behind a piece of partition that the storage light is attached to. You may find it easiest to remove the bed mattress then remove the bed plywood base for easiest access. Its just held on by a lot of screws. If your lucky it may just be a loose wire.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
Steve and Sharon

Panama City , Florida
Well, I got up this morning and started to look at the relay for a possible loose wire....they all seem tight. I did notice that on both sides the end of the wire from the fuse on top is touching/attached to the post where the main lines attach. Is that the way it is suppose to be? It is the same for both the red and green line inputs. Here is what it looks like somewhat blurry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2765.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	232469  
Old 02-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Your wiring looks ok. Idroba and Msmoto usually have this stuff figured out accurately. I would do what they suggest. Easy stuff first. Confirm that the + &- attachments returning to the Airstream at the battery are indeed secure. If you don't have a multi meter, you may as well get one now since you will find that you will always have an opportunity to use it. Part of owning an Airstream. Confirm that there is power at the batteries, wall switch, and the solenoid. Shore power not connected. Operate the 30 amp main circuit breaker in the panel a couple of times. If none of this fiddling works and there is power at the solenoid, and the solenoid fuses are ok, my guess is a defective solenoid. Jim

Old 02-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
First verify the solenoid 'clunks' shut when you put the use/store switch in 'use'.

One way to check is measure the DX voltage across the main solenoid terminals--the big lugs that carry the power when it is closed (activated). If it is truly making contact there will be ZERO volts across it and everything should be running on your 12 volt circuits. More than zero means the solenoid did not close. Something in between 12 and zero means the contacts are toasted and you need a new one.

If it does not 'clunk' that may mean the problem is elsewhere in the use/store circuit or there is no 12 volt power to the use/store switch.

I'm assuming your batteries are charged and properly connected...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #17
Steve and Sharon

Panama City , Florida
To sum it up briefly...if I have shore power connected and the disconnect switch is ON and then I remove shore power, the battery powers everything just fine. I then can disconnect the battery and the light on the switch goes out and it will not reconnect....no "clunk". With shore power connected it ALWAYs "clunks" both off and on. And yes the battery is charged, it registered 12.9 volts after I towed it home and the inverter will power up regardless of the disconnect switch. And the tongue jack and light work fine, so I know there is power in the battery. Just trying to avoid another 4 hour pull to the dealer since I just returned 3 days ago. I am electrically illiterate so I will have to find some help with a work mate to be confident with the other checks with a volt meter.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I think the solenoid is toast but this is not an adventure ruining issue. Since your Airstream will function after the solenoid has been turned on by shore power, just leave it on and plan a visit to the dealer following your trip. There will be other issues that you discover and he can fix them all under warranty. The in use/store button has only been activated once in my 2012 Airstream when I had to replace the inverter. It remains in use 24/7. Jim