Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I keep my trailer pluged into a 120 vac source all the time. I did this after my batteries went flat and would not recharge. No more problems since.
FYI - My trailer has an external battery box. It filled up with rain water once and killed the batteries. I drilled a couple of drain holes in the bottom and haven't had anymore trouble.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I've forgotten all about having an LPG leak monitor, consequently, it doesn't drain the batteries at all.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The propane detector is not the only source of phantom loads. On ours, the subwoofer is always on; I installed a switch and turned it off. If you leave the tank and battery monitor on, that will draw some current. If you forget to turn off the antenna booster, that will draw more current.

Since batteries discharge over time anyway, the advice to put them on a charger regularly is the best advice.

Gene
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Dumb question for the OP… When your battery isolator is switched off, will the battery still charge from shore power? If so, then your converter, or inverter/charger, or whatever, bypasses the battery isolator.

I consider it a dumb question becasue it's pretty obvious that Airstream trailers aren't wired the same as Airstream motorhomes. What I'm thinking of might not apply to you, but if it does…

I ask because if you have an inverter/charger to power your AC appliances from your house batteries while boondocking, you may have parasitic drains on the AC side. I found that out the hard way with my Interstate. With my DC side switched completely off and the inverter switched to "invert", I still have 120vAC power to my televisions, microwave, and 12vDC/120vAC refrigerator. I have to be sure when I place my unit into storage that I switch the battery isolator to off, and switch the inverter/charger to either "off" or "charge only."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
We are solving the problem tomorrow. I am putting a 150 watt solar panel on top, with a 30 amp internal controller. We went with the Zamp unit.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
A follow up. I picked up the trailer yesterday, after having the solar panel installed. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see the installation of the panel and how the wiring was brought into the interior. What I saw, I didn't like!

The service techs routed the cable down the back side of the refrigerator, which is OK. What was not OK was the rough hole that was cut, with the wiring chafing against it. It was also chafing on a metal fin between the refrigerator and the AC unit.

I sent photos to the service manager, and will be taking it in tomorrow to have grommets and clamps installed to keep things from chafing.

I suspect that many Airstreams may have their solar panels installed in a similar manner. You may want to check yours. If the positive lead from the panel chafed through and made chassis ground, it might fry your panel. There is supposed to be a fuse between the panel and controller, but if it shorts above the fuse, it is a moot point.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
(snip)

If the positive lead from the panel chafed through and made chassis ground, it might fry your panel. There is supposed to be a fuse between the panel and controller, but if it shorts above the fuse, it is a moot point.
Actually you can dead short a solar panel positive to negative terminals with no problems at all. The current they generate is self limiting and cannot rise above the normal output of the panel even in a dead short situation. They are not like a battery which a short generates large extra current flow.

I am not saying that the wiring rubbing against a fin on the refrigerator is good, but a short on the wire between the panels and the charge controller will do no harm to the panels.

Been there, done that a whole lot of times. In fact I test the output of solar panels by dead shorting them through an ammeter to see their max current output.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Actually you can dead short a solar panel positive to negative terminals with no problems at all. The current they generate is self limiting and cannot rise above the normal output of the panel even in a dead short situation. They are not like a battery which a short generates large extra current flow.

I am not saying that the wiring rubbing against a fin on the refrigerator is good, but a short on the wire between the panels and the charge controller will do no harm to the panels.

Been there, done that a whole lot of times. In fact I test the output of solar panels by dead shorting them through an ammeter to see their max current output.
Thanks, that's good to know. This is my first experience with solar.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #23
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
A quick hour at the dealer, and all seems well. I also had them run a bead of sealant at the joint where the bumper compartment meets the body. There was leakage and floor rot reported on earlier FB models, but is purported to be corrected on my year. Better safe than sorry.

It's nice to have the batteries topped at all times.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
Battery testing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Drathaar, if you've run your batts flat, twice, they are now seriously and permanently compromised and will no longer have their rated Ah capacity.
this has happened to me also.
how can i verify if my (almost new) batteries are shot ?
thanks-in-advance.
Rob.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I just posted my method this morning.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ry-102788.html
Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jammer's method is a good one, but, I just use a hydrometer which does a fairly good job. They are often sold as "battery tester". It'll tell you how good or bad each cell is. If you go boondocking and find the batteries are running down much faster than normally, that's a clue.

I never ran the OEM batteries flat, but I did run them down pretty far several times (better than freezing) using the furnace, and they lasted 3 years. You never know what happened to them at the dealer—they could have run them down many times. People have reported more than once they bought a "new" trailer and the batteries died several months later.

Gene
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Since I do not have access to external power where we store our AS, I installed a cutoff switch at the batteries to eliminate any parasitic draw. It has made a big difference.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
So the electronic battery cutoff switch in my 2008 Classic 25FB doesn't cut off this parasitic power loss from the LP detector or refrigerator circuits, monitor panel and TV booster? I should still install a manual battery disconnect?

Kelvin