Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Battery drain while plugged in.

While camping with full hook ups I noticed my 12 volts lights starting to dim and my voltage meter read 9 volts. I assumed that as long as the trailer was plugged into a 110 volt outlet that I would always have ample 12 volt power as the 110 would be converted to 12 volt as needed. Is it possible to drain the battery while plugged into shore power?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, if your converter/charger is not working. First check the 120 volt circuit breaker to be sure it is on. Second check for blown fuses or a bad fuse holder in the charge circuit. For some reason your battery is not being charged by the converter/charger, and it should all be automatic.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Yes. See possible causes, below:

* Battery(ies) are discharged.
* Battery(ies) are dry (electrolyte has boiled out, frequently from overcharging).
* One or more batteries have a shorted cell (this pulls the voltage down).
* Battery cable(s) loose or corroded.
* Converter defective, or blown fuse.
* 120 volt AC circuit breaker in power box is tripped.
* Shore power cable or connectors are defective (connector blades might be dirty or corroded).
* Shore power is out of spec (too high, too low, intermittent).

There are quite a few possibilities, so I'd check the ones that you can and post what you find. That will narrow down the remaining possibilities.

Troubleshooting is not difficult for the trained and/or experienced. Ask your RV friends and neighbors for help. Most likely, some will have had similar problems and can assist in finding and fixing the problem.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I will check those items you mentions and see if I can figure it out.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
You probably have a switch for the converter. Make sure it's on. Ours is behind a front curtain.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
troutbum

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm having a similar problem. When checking it I discovered the 110V circuit breaker open. so I closed it. It popped open again in about 10 seconds, indicating a short somewhere. Any ideas? Can short in one of the batteries cause this?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldflyfish View Post
I'm having a similar problem. When checking it I discovered the 110V circuit breaker open. so I closed it. It popped open again in about 10 seconds, indicating a short somewhere. Any ideas? Can short in one of the batteries cause this?

Thanks
A short in one of the batteries shouldn't affect your 120v breaker, it should burn the fuse between the converter-charger and the batteries. It may be that your converter charger has become a boat anchor, or that there's an unrelated problem on that circuit, or even that the breaker is just worn out. On a 2010 trailer I'd rate the last option as a low probability, but things happen. Is it a GFCI breaker or a regular one? GFCI breakers can be quite finicky.

One way to isolate the converter as a possible source of the problem would be to unplug it from the wall (assuming it wires in with a normal 3-prong plug) and turn the breaker on. If it stays on, the problem is in/near the converter. If it opens in a similarly short time, the converter is probably ruled out as the culprit.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
troutbum

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks.

I'm going to check a few things and if the problem isn't obvious, it's off to the repair shop.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
troutbum

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
It's the converter.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Problem Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfuller678 View Post
While camping with full hook ups I noticed my 12 volts lights starting to dim and my voltage meter read 9 volts. I assumed that as long as the trailer was plugged into a 110 volt outlet that I would always have ample 12 volt power as the 110 would be converted to 12 volt as needed. Is it possible to drain the battery while plugged into shore power?
I tested the 12 volt distribution panel and discovered that the electrical post connecting the wire to the 12 volt fuse panel was bad. This was causing a partial connection - ie 9 volts as the lights dimmed and 0 volts when there was no 12 volt power at all.

I simply relocated the wire to the fuse box to another terminal and everything has worked perfectly since. Thank you to everyone who responded.