Old 01-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
When I leave my trailer for months I plug it into a 24 hour timer. I set it to have power for 1 hour out of every 24. Seems to work fine. Original converter. I change batteries every 2 to 3 years or so because I like to have power available if I need it.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I got the joy of changing my interstates out for new batteries at exactly 13 months after I bought the trailer new. And one month past the warranty date. Oh the pleasure of researching chargers, batteries, and warranty issues. Endless hours of fun on the Internet and with my rep at my local dealer.

I believe, but cannot prove, that the batteries were not properly maintained on the dealers lot, and parasitic drains caused them to discharge too much. Furthering the injury, I didn't really know how much the batteries would discharge and how quickly, even with the store/use switch in store mode, so they got too low while in my storage place.

Anyway, I replaced them with 3 yr warranty Trojans and replaced the charger/converter to multi stage. Since then, it's all been good. Just checked the Trojans yesterday with my multimeter. (They are stored in my garage until spring) I stored them in Nov and they were at 12.87 volts. Untouched, they are still at 12.62 volts. When they get down to 12.4 I will put them on the battery tender for a few days.

Mike

Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
I got the joy of changing my interstates out for new batteries at exactly 13 months after I bought the trailer new. And one month past the warranty date. Oh the pleasure of researching chargers, batteries, and warranty issues. Endless hours of fun on the Internet and with my rep at my local dealer.

I believe, but cannot prove, that the batteries were not properly maintained on the dealers lot, and parasitic drains caused them to discharge too much. Furthering the injury, I didn't really know how much the batteries would discharge and how quickly, even with the store/use switch in store mode, so they got too low while in my storage place.

Anyway, I replaced them with 3 yr warranty Trojans and replaced the charger/converter to multi stage. Since then, it's all been good. Just checked the Trojans yesterday with my multimeter. (They are stored in my garage until spring) I stored them in Nov and they were at 12.87 volts. Untouched, they are still at 12.62 volts. When they get down to 12.4 I will put them on the battery tender for a few days.

Mike

Mike,
Are you able to plug your camper into 110 volt power source? The multistage converter charger will do all the work for you.
Thomas
Old 01-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Batteries and tires often suffer from "lot rot". These two items need to be used regularly. Sitting for months (or longer) on a dealer's lot is very bad for both.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Well, I try to be diligent about all aspects of Airstream maintenance, including topping off my batteries and making sure they're charged. When I picked up my new 2015 Flying Cloud 28 from the dealer, I thought the batteries were also new, but they were well over a year old and poorly maintained and over time I realized they weren't holding a charge. So, I picked up two new batteries at Walmart, which cost me roughly $200 and are guaranteed for two years. At a certain point, it's more practical to get new batteries, than to spend one's life obsessing over battery maintenance. Obviously, there's a happy medium and no one wants to discover their batteries are dead while boondocking in the middle of the wilderness. In any case, I want to thank everyone for replying to my post.

Basically, I installed two battery cutoff switches (the ones with the green knobs) on the negative posts of my batteries. I then turned the knobs disconnecting my batteries flow to and from the trailer. I left the cross cables connected , which connect the two batteries in parallel. I then connected an 8 amp battery tender I purchased from Walmart from the positive of one battery to the negative of the other. I made sure my propane tanks were tightly turned off and I placed the battery tender under the propane tank cover where it is protected from the weather. At this point, the tender is safely working on standby and my batteries appear to be charged and in good shape. That's all folks! Thank you all again for your valuable input.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Why are NEW batteries only warrantied for two years?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
Why are NEW batteries only warrantied for two years?
Price point. The Interstates that Airstream uses are only warrantied for 12 months. Pay a little more, get a little more. I replaced my Interstates with 3 yr Trojans.

Mike
Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
Mike,
Are you able to plug your camper into 110 volt power source? The multistage converter charger will do all the work for you.
Thomas
Yes, and no. There is power where I store my trailer, but it's a bit wonky. Lots of people plug in, and the circuits get tripped regularly. The owners don't check them daily so unless someone complains the circuit doesn't get reset. It's kind of a large, older place, but it's only 15 minutes from where I live, and my trailer is covered, so...

When I store in the summer, for a week or two I just physically disconnect the batteries so they don't discharge too much. In the winter I pull them and bring them home. It works for me.

Mike