Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Battery Disconnect Switch and Relay

I disconnected the battery using the switch by the door in my 2012 AS International. Now the AS has no power from the battery when I try to put it back into use so either the switch or the relay appear to have failed. I have 13.5V at the Battery, 13.5 going into the relay and 0 coming out. I can hear the solenoid click when I use the switch to turn if off. No sound when I try to put the Battery in Use. For now, because we are traveling, I have jumped around the relay so that I have by passed it and I have power. My question is is there anything that I can damage by jumping around the relay? It is now out of the system. Everything appears okay and I am even thinking that if needed I could plug into shore power without causing damage. What do you guys think? Will I damage anything?
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Basically you have just lost the "STORE" function of the relay, and are in "USE" function all the time. Sounds fine until you can get it fixed to have the "STORE" mode.

We put the switch in "STORE" mode whenever on external power to isolate he batteries from the poor quality stock charger/converter to take better care of our batteries. We let the solar system charge the batteries.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
As long as the jumper is big enough to carry the load all should be ok.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote