Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Battery Depletion Question

Newbies here, trying to make sense of the battery usage in our '17 25fb fc. Took it on its maiden voyage for a couple days this weekend and the batteries seemed to deplete rather quickly.

Got home, plugged her in for 24 hours, unplugged from the house and the meter read 13.0. To test, we turned on the radio and the main lights, which caused the meter to immediately drop to 12.9. A few minutes later the meter showed 12.6. Left the trailer (radio and lights still on) for three hours and the meter was at 12.3, which I understand to be 70%.

Does this rate of depletion align to expectations?

I appreciate feedback and advice!

Chris
__________________

Airhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,038
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that you never really got to the point at which your batteries were at 100%. I'm going through the same thing right now with our new Flying Cloud... the voltage dropped faster than I expected given use, and having disconnected the batteries, topped off with distilled water and put them on a battery tender-reconditioner for a few days I'll be more likely to believe the results on our next trip. I'd lay even odds that one of mine is a bit ill, but it doesn't read like a dead cell, just lower than the other.

The 13v-to-12.6v drop is just from you drawing off what's called the "surface charge" from the batteries, 12.6 v or MAYBE 12.7v is where they'll sit on their own if they're healthy flooded lead-acid batteries with no load. After the drop to 12.3v, turn everything off and recheck in a few hours. Also, don't put TOO much stock in what the SeeLevel says, get a real multimeter and measure at the battery terminals as your source of truth.

If you don't want to fiddle with it personally but don't mind removing the batteries, take a photo of the cabling (for ease of reassembly), remove the batteries and haul them to your nearest Interstate dealer that can test them properly (call around and confirm that they'll do this.) Then you'll know if you're working with a phantom draw in the trailer or an issue with one or both batteries.
__________________

__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that you never really got to the point at which your batteries were at 100%. I'm going through the same thing right now with our new Flying Cloud... the voltage dropped faster than I expected given use, and having disconnected the batteries, topped off with distilled water and put them on a battery tender-reconditioner for a few days I'll be more likely to believe the results on our next trip. I'd lay even odds that one of mine is a bit ill, but it doesn't read like a dead cell, just lower than the other.

The 13v-to-12.6v drop is just from you drawing off what's called the "surface charge" from the batteries, 12.6 v or MAYBE 12.7v is where they'll sit on their own if they're healthy flooded lead-acid batteries with no load. After the drop to 12.3v, turn everything off and recheck in a few hours. Also, don't put TOO much stock in what the SeeLevel says, get a real multimeter and measure at the battery terminals as your source of truth.

If you don't want to fiddle with it personally but don't mind removing the batteries, take a photo of the cabling (for ease of reassembly), remove the batteries and haul them to your nearest Interstate dealer that can test them properly (call around and confirm that they'll do this.) Then you'll know if you're working with a phantom draw in the trailer or an issue with one or both batteries.
Thank you for the speedy response! I went to shut off radio/lights and now we're at 12.1 (little more than an hour later since the 12.3 reading). Turned off the radio/lights and now seeing 12.3. I will check back in a few hours.

Is there a multimeter you recommend?

Thanks again,
Chris
Airhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,038
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
As I said, I like a Fluke. Mine has more bells and whistles, but this is a good basic one and as far as I know is as good as fancier ones.

Fluke 101 basic "pocket" multimeter
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,038
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
I apologize... I was just writing about my Fluke, but it was on another thread. Oops!

So, some differences between the Fluke I recommended and mine. My Fluke that cost about 4x that 15 yrs ago has a few more bells and whistles and was made in the US, and I can theoretically send it in for service (though I've never had to do so.) I think the leads that came with mine are a little nicer than the ones on the cheaper new ones, but a) you can buy fancier leads if you want, they're plug-and-play, and b) you probably don't need the fancier soft-touch leads anyway.

There are decent meters for $20 if you like. I'm weak for nice tools, though, and like to keep stuff forever. Basically you want a fairly-accurate auto-ranging meter that reads DC voltage and AC voltage and continuity. The basic meter I linked doesn't have the capability to read current, that'll cost you more and is a bit of a fiddly thing to do, but it's useful on occasion. Accurately reading DC current will likely require a bit of rewiring so it qualifies as nerdy stuff. AC current is easy to read with a clamp-on accessory if the meter has the option, but less of an issue with an Airstream. Maybe if you're troubleshooting the air conditioner...
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,685
Chris,

For a more deliberate pace of diagnosis, IMO it would make sense to keep things simple at first, and plug in your trailer's shore power for 2-3 days, in order to charge the batteries fully. First, make sure the cells are all full with distilled water [using safety goggles and gloves] per your owner's manual. [A 24-hour charge after a trip is not enough.]

Then unplug from shore power, wait an hour, and see what the battery voltage is on your monitor panel. All of your 12-volt functions should be off: furnace, lights, radio etc.. [Reading the voltage without waiting an hour gives an inaccurate reading.]

Put the Use/Store switch on Store, wait 24 hours, put the switch on Use, and report on the battery voltage again. Go back to Store.

Repeat the above for another day and check the voltage.

From the above simple steps, further steps can be recommended. Your batteries may have "lot rot" from improper care at the dealer, but this will become apparent soon if so.

Yes, if you have the time and inclination to take the batteries to the store for testing that will be quicker.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- One of many RV battery primers for background FYI:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Thanks for all of the great info... ordered a multimeter and have the batteries charging.... looks like patience is a virtue. In the meantime I will be going to Battery School!

I hope to report back with good info in a few days.

Chris
Airhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,038
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
I need to add to what I wrote earlier... I've found a relatively affordable meter that, under the right conditions, does a good job of measuring DC current with a clamp. I knew there were some Flukes that do so, but a) I already have 2 Flukes, and b) the Flukes that have this feature don't seem to be the more-affordable ones. I decided to try out a lesser meter that claims this functionality and I have to say the results were pretty good.

I bought a Southwire 21050T True RMS Clamp Meter from Lowe's for $85 from Lowe's. It seems that most of the clamp meters in the half-that-or-less price range only measure AC current. It's actually got some nice features... in addition to the amp-clamp, it has a temperature sensor that can be useful in certain situations, contactless voltage detection and normal voltage and resistance measurement. It comes with a nylon carrying bag to keep all the parts together and clean, and now it lives in the front locker of our Flying Cloud.

It is *NOT* the best multimeter from an ergonomic point of view. I never find myself having to "fiddle" much with a Fluke to get it into the mode I want, but the Southwire is less well thought-out, or perhaps designed by someone who thinks differently than I do. One often needs to adjust 3 different controls to get it set to do what you want, but once set it does the job and now I have a way to measure DC current that'll do nicely until I rewire things for a Tri-Metric someday.
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhills View Post
In the meantime I will be going to Battery School!

Chris
You mean Battery "U" right? This is a great place to learn, probably more info than the average Joe needs.



http://batteryuniversity.com/
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
2016 19ft flying cloud
 
Spokane , Washington
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 115
Make sure all your lights are turned off
I left the awning lights on the first three days I went out

Also ,unplug your sub woofer when not using,,,it draws current just setting
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
dmbecke's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 235
I'll bet those batteries sat around a while prior to your ownership and thus are in great need of tending
As mentioned, check cell levels and using a good charger let them go 2-3 days and recheck
I'll bet you will be fine after that
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I need to add to what I wrote earlier... I've found a relatively affordable meter that, under the right conditions, does a good job of measuring DC current with a clamp. I knew there were some Flukes that do so, but a) I already have 2 Flukes, and b) the Flukes that have this feature don't seem to be the more-affordable ones. I decided to try out a lesser meter that claims this functionality and I have to say the results were pretty good.

I bought a Southwire 21050T True RMS Clamp Meter from Lowe's for $85 from Lowe's. It seems that most of the clamp meters in the half-that-or-less price range only measure AC current. It's actually got some nice features... in addition to the amp-clamp, it has a temperature sensor that can be useful in certain situations, contactless voltage detection and normal voltage and resistance measurement. It comes with a nylon carrying bag to keep all the parts together and clean, and now it lives in the front locker of our Flying Cloud.

It is *NOT* the best multimeter from an ergonomic point of view. I never find myself having to "fiddle" much with a Fluke to get it into the mode I want, but the Southwire is less well thought-out, or perhaps designed by someone who thinks differently than I do. One often needs to adjust 3 different controls to get it set to do what you want, but once set it does the job and now I have a way to measure DC current that'll do nicely until I rewire things for a Tri-Metric someday.


Thank you for the info on the multimeter and following up! Our trailer is in with service for due bill and warranty work. I requested they check out batteries of which they claim they would send to interstate (takes a week). I'm very curious to see the results.
Airhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhills View Post
Thank you for the info on the multimeter and following up! Our trailer is in with service for due bill and warranty work. I requested they check out batteries of which they claim they would send to interstate (takes a week). I'm very curious to see the results.
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing what the dealer says.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhills View Post
Thank you for the info on the multimeter and following up! Our trailer is in with service for due bill and warranty work. I requested they check out batteries of which they claim they would send to interstate (takes a week). I'm very curious to see the results.
Wondering what the dealer said about the batteries?

Thanks,

Peter
__________________

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Hold-down Strap Shorting Against Positive Battery Post rel Sprinter and B-van Forum 3 08-13-2013 10:32 PM
Question about wiring new battery charger on the battery side of the latching relay. BTUs4You General Repair Forum 3 07-27-2012 12:36 PM
To battery or not to battery 29348 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 4 07-16-2006 02:02 PM
Wiring Sequence to hook up 2 x 6 volt battery pack to your 12 volt trailer battery TobyJH Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 0 05-21-2004 12:04 AM
Battery check--why don't I ever have to add battery water? Kistler Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 8 05-17-2004 09:03 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.