Old 06-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
They still have the trailer, but when I asked the question when I spoke to them on the phone and they had zero information. Told me they are just replacing them with brand new batteries. The pessimism in me immediately came out... How would I know if they actually replaced them?

I guess Iíll know when I get it home and if the batteries are working as expected, then all is good. :-|

Airhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the things to realize is the amount of power that is being drawn from the batteries when you aren't using the trailer. I borrowed a test meter to measure the draw from the batteries when the disconnect switch was in the store or off position and when it was in the use or on position with all appliances turned off. It was enlightening to say the least and gave me some inside as to what my battery conditions are when the trailer is in storage. I'd also note that this is from a 2004 Classic and most likely your results might be different dependent upon your model trailer.

I measured the amp hour draw on my batteries when the battery switch was set to on or the use position. All appliances and lights were turned off. The draw was .1 amp. I flipped the switch to disconnect and the draw was .01 amp. After talking to the dealer about this I found out that the draw when in the on position was from the propane detector, the electronics in the refrigerator (even though it was turned off), and the electronics in the water heater. The draw with the switch in the off position is from the propane detector which is not wired through the switch.

So I sat down and found the amp hour ratings for my batteries when fully charged. Once doing the math with a .1 amp draw per hour, I pretty much figured out why the batteries were almost dead after allowing the trailer to sit several weeks with the disconnect switch in the on position. At .01 amp draw you can also make the same calculation as to how long the batteries will last with the switch in the off position. So understand that the batteries will continue to discharge on some trailers even if that switch is off and you may need some auxiliary charging if the trailer is going to sit for a while, or you need to disconnect the batteries.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhills View Post
They still have the trailer, but when I asked the question when I spoke to them on the phone and they had zero information. Told me they are just replacing them with brand new batteries. The pessimism in me immediately came out... How would I know if they actually replaced them?

I guess Iíll know when I get it home and if the batteries are working as expected, then all is good. :-|
New batteries should have a manufacturer's date sticker on them, which should indicate the install date. Also make sure your dealer receipt has the battery replacement listed, even if there is no charge. Also, the batteries should look shiny and new!

Thanks for the update.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhills View Post

I guess I’ll know when I get it home and if the batteries are working as expected, then all is good. :-|
You might see a manufactured date on the batteries. Typically the OEM batteries have a manufactured date that is prior to the manufactured date of the trailer. If the batteries are dated after the date of the trailer manufacture then you know you had a replacement. Obviously that isn't absolutely the bottom line since you don't know how long the dealer has had the batteries he is using to replace yours, nor how long his supplier has had them on their shelves. In a crunch I've even see a dealer pull batteries out of another unsold trailer sitting on the lot to get a customer out in a timely manner.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote