Old 09-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayl View Post
I have a strange situation when using my battery cut-off switch. If I turn the switch off it cuts off any 12 volt functions, then if I turn the switch back on all 12 volt functions are still non-functioning. The only way to restore the 12 volt functions is to plug into an external electric source. The battery can have a full charge when this occurs.
You switch is likely not functioning. The Converter goes to ? I forget since I re-wired my high current DC. Mine is on a large (60A) breaker into the high current buss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayl View Post
Also, my battery does not charge while the tow vehicle is running. I changed the fuse in the tow vehicle battery line thinking this was the problem. If the battery runs down while dry camping we are out of luck until we plug into electric.

Any ideas?
What make and model TV do you have? Some need an additional fuse installed. Some will still drain the TV battery when the ignition is off and others will not. The charge line only provides a modest amount of current. That current depends on how much extra capacity your charing system has for your trailer. It takes all day of towing and Solar to re-charge my batteries after running the furnace for one night.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
We have a 2002 International AS.

I thought I had this problem solved as I took it to a local dealer and they did some re-wiring, but the problem has resurfaced after I had to replace the hitch jack (same dealer). Could they have mistakenly un-done the previous fix?

As it was explained to me prior to the previous fix, there is a sylenoid that needs to be kicked on to allow the battery to charge from the tow vehicle. If the battery is dead then external power must be supplied to kick in the sylenoid in order for the vehicle to charge the battery. The only way this is possible is through external power. To avoid this the sylenoid had to be by-passed.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
The in and the out wires on the solenoid may be reversed. The normal way they are wired is the switch compleats the circuit to ground. This energizes the solenoid and it closes. Check the solenoid and ses if it has one or two small posts. If it has one I will bet money the battery and the load are reversed. If is has two little posts then the positive and negative are likely reversed.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote