Old 05-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Battery charging when in storage questions.

When your AS is in storage do you keep it plugged into a 110v outlet? Will that keep the batteries at full charge without damaging the batteries?

I just purchased a 2009 AS (haven't pick it up yet) and the PO installed a Progressive battery charger (IIRC) to help prolong battery life. I'm not sure exactly what that does and will get more info from him when I pick up the AS. The reason for asking the question now is if it is best to keep it plugged into 110v all the time then I will need to make preparations for a 110v outlet near my storage location.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
As long as you have a 3 or 4 stage converter, you can leave the umbilical plugged in and it will charge and then drop down to a trickle/storage level. However, whe leaving my trailer unattended for long periods, I prefer to disconnect the power from the batteries and use a battery minder trickle charger directly connected to the batteries. That way if there is a surge or a short, nothing in the trailer gets fried.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I disconnect the batteries when in storage. I do leave the solar panel connected to the batteries, but the trailer is electrically disconnected.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I store my trailer away in a lot, so I pulled the batteries and brought them home. Did a full charge with a battery charger and now have them connected to a battery maintainer so they are ready to go. Had to top up the cells once charged. Figure an extra 15min in setup/teardown to deal with batteries
Old 05-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
My AS has a solar panel and keeps the batteries charged while in storage. My bass boat is in the garage with a 3-bank 15 amp charger. (Each battery has its own separate 15 charger and monitor.) I keep it plugged in all the time but it's on an outdoor HD timer that comes on for 1 hour every day. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. If the battery monitor incorrectly reads the battery state it can boil over a battery pretty fast. With a timer the most it can run is an hour a day.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
My converter is plugged in to a 110 outlet under the front windows behind the couch. I put a timer between the converter and the outlet so it only charges the battery only an hour or two ( at separate times) per day depending on how much I'm in or out of there since its in my back yard and I am in and out tinkering with things, running lights, etc.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
When I first got my AS I kept it plugged in (new 3 stage converter) when not being used. It worked fine, but I was amazed with the extra electrical bill cost. I disconected the batteries and put a battery minder on them and the bill was so small I couldn't tell it was on.
Now I have installed a solar that takes care of it at no cost through the converter.
No more unhooking and re-hooking up!
Also when I travel and boondock I don't have to use my generator.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
It sounds to me like your progressive charger is likely a 'float' charger that provides the function of "trickle" charge or "battery maintainer" and you can plug in or not depending how often you use the unit. We are very light users and only go out two or three times per year. I never kept our previous unit plugged in while in storage and we used the same batteries for 6 years before selling. Our new unit has a solar charger and I've had nothing but trouble with the battery...so go figure.
JCW
Old 05-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Even though I had solar panels installed so I wouldn't need to stay plugged into shore power while stored im having issues with my batteries and the solar controller is impossible to figure out...(I have another thread on here where I'm getting help for that....I love this site) so for now I still leave my MoHo plugged into shore power. I had an electrician come out years ago and install a new breaker and a 30amp outlet.

I feel ya on battery troubles. I'm just gonna go buy all new ones. I think 2 years is long enough for coach batteries. Jumping my toad is easy (and sadly happens often as I always forget to turn its engine over when gassing up the AS or every 2 hours as recommended). But jumping the AS is much harder. I bought a booster but 600 Amps didn't cut it. So I'm sure there's something I'm missing or doing wrong but screw it I'm replacing them all. Any brand suggestions for new coach and maybe chassis batteries?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Solar topoff

We have always had solar in our AS with a proper three level controller. I've been told that the standard AS controller is NOT good. We have had zero battery problems in 6 years, so the system seems to be working well.(we're in storage 6 months annually.)

I would both check with your dealer and with the battery manufacturer. The battery guys were the most knowledgeable about which Chargers were good or bad for their batteries. Let them know what model your in, and see what they have to say.

If you do add solar, that would solve your problem IF you use a good solar controller and the install is done correctly.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #11
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
When I first got my AS I kept it plugged in (new 3 stage converter) when not being used. It worked fine, but I was amazed with the extra electrical bill cost. I disconected the batteries and put a battery minder on them and the bill was so small I couldn't tell it was on.
Now I have installed a solar that takes care of it at no cost through the converter.
No more unhooking and re-hooking up!
Also when I travel and boondock I don't have to use my generator.
The high electric usage was with the trailer's main inlet plugged in, so maybe your water heater was on? Maybe the fridge? The 3-stage charger in float mode shouldn't use much more power than a battery maintainer.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Our unit is not stored where we have access to power, so I installed a cutoff switch in the battery box that I will use when not traveling. At the end of the season I carry the batteries home and keep them hooked up for the winter on a Battery Tender.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have left mine plugged in for 5 years, no problem. I do not experience much electrical usage.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canyon Country , California
Purchase a Battery Tender....if it gets damaged you don't have to worry about it. I've been using them on my Harley and BMW and regular lead acid batteries for years. It drops down to a trickle charge. Chargers Now I see they even have a solar option which I never knew about until I just went to their website.