Old 05-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Talking Batteries in "storage"

Originally Posted by larryglarson View Post
I have left mine plugged in for 5 years, no problem. I do not experience much electrical usage.
Same for us. Although for just one winter so far!!

Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:40 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Our AS has a battery cutoff switch inside a front interior compartment. I turn it off when storing and wire a battery maintainer to the battery which I plug into a timer that comes on for thirty minutes a day. The stock system is supposed to not over charge but I lost three batteries in about five years.

dalemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Good idea to unhook the batteries and take them inside in the winter if you live in a cold climate -- and hook them up to a battery tender as others have suggested.
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Originally Posted by Seecue View Post
Good idea to unhook the batteries and take them inside in the winter if you live in a cold climate -- and hook them up to a battery tender as others have suggested.
Totally unnecessary to do anything but to charge them up then unhook them. See my post and test on 5 months of battery storage at 0 to 5 degrees F.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:06 AM   #19
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
People in Alaska, northern Canada, North Dakota leave tractors and trucks sitting all winter long in sub zero weather without doing much other than as Idroba says. The liquid in a charged battery is not the same thing as water.

Batteries self-discharge without anything hooked up to them, but if they have not been repeatedly discharged below a level of charge ( which varies with battery type) they should charge back up again without any problems.

If using a trickle charger, the best ones are like the MPPTs we use on boats. They allow you to adjust the float rate. A float rate of 13.8 volts I think, for lead acid batteries, will vaporize some electrolyte after a while. This means that the acid level in the batteries will drop down toward the plates if you don't top them up.
If you can adjust the float of your charger to 13.2 volts for the winter, the batteries don't gas during charging.
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Great info! I was mis-informed about the effects of cold temps on the battery -- thanks for the real-world testing. I'm delighted that we can now forgo the annual ritual of dragging the batteries inside!
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have the stock converter and original batteries in my 2010. I leave it plugged in when parked, although care is required to be sure the water heater and electric heat are off.

The stock converter is not temperature compensated and will tend to overcharge batteries in hot weather. I check them every few weeks and add distilled water if needed, usually just once a year.

In cold weather, the stock converter won't fully charge the batteries, but it will keep them charged enough that they won't freeze.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
How is leaving the AS plugged in for storage any different than leaving plugged in for 3 months when are living in it in Florida?

Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Re freezing of batteries

If your battery is really discharged, then the specific gravity of the battery acid is low enough that it will freeze at somewhere below 0 F. Fully charged battery will withstand -40 easily. So if you live in a really cold winter area you just need to be sure the batteries will hold their charge in storage.

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote