Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Battery Cable Identification Help

Hey guys - In the next few days I'll be moving from 12v batteries to two 6v batteries. I want to make sure I don't mess up the wiring in the process and could use the forums help to identify some cables running to my existing setup (from a previous owner). Below is an image of my batteries and my best guess as to what they are being used for. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Used for parallel connection, I won't need this for the two 6v
2) The main negative line, this will be attached the negative battery terminal that's not used to connect the batteries in a series
3) Ground wire? Same as above, connected to negative battery terminal
4) I'll use this to connect the 6v batteries into a series, going from positive to negative on separate batteries
5) ???? might be related to audio
6) ???? might be related to audio
7) I believe this is for the electric tongue jack, will be attached to the positive terminal
8) The main positive line, this will be attached to the positive battery terminal that's not used to connect the batteries in a series

Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Looks to me like you have it right. Who knows what 5&6 are for without tracing them. I do not think #4 will be long enough to go from the positive to the negative on your 6 volt series batteries though.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
As I see it, 8 (pos) and 2 (neg) become the primary connections, cable 1 goes to 5 to put the 2 batteries in series. (it's the longer of the 2 cables) 4 comes off.

I'll bet 5 & 6 go to the inverter. That looks like an in-line fuse on 6.

5 neg would go to 2 neg, 6 & 7 pos would go to 8 pos.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to hear. I noticed the green wire does actually make it inside the trailer, not sure if it would still be ground wire. Regardless, I think the transition to 2 6v should go pretty smoothly, crossing my fingers.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGal04 View Post
Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to hear. I noticed the green wire does actually make it inside the trailer, not sure if it would still be ground wire. Regardless, I think the transition to 2 6v should go pretty smoothly, crossing my fingers.
Green is typically a chassis or case ground. In small appliances it's the middle / round / third prong on a 3-prong plug.

Of course, that's what it's supposed to be. If you have a multimeter you can do a continuity test between the green terminal on the negative post and the AS shell to be certain. It may also go to the main bus and be used as another type of ground. Nevertheless, it should be a ground of some sort, maybe for the electric tongue jack.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Green is typically a chassis or case ground. In small appliances it's the middle / round / third prong on a 3-prong plug.
In DC wiring, the wires are much more colorful than in AC wiring. I wouldn't rely on the green is ground rule; for example, in my trailer, green is the running lights positive wire. Black and red are the only ones you can kinda sorta sometimes rely on, and there's even a counterexample in that picture (black wire going to positive terminal, the red tape indicates its positive, which is great, but if you saw that mid-way through the run you'd have no idea). You really need a voltmeter to do much beyond looking at 12 volt wiring.

In this case, though, that green wire is definitely a ground for something, since it's hooked to the negative terminal. It's a little small to be a chassis ground for the trailer. Probably the negative wire for the tongue jack or something like that.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
[QUOTE=AirGal04;1423136]Hey guys - In the next few days I'll be moving from 12v batteries to two 6v batteries. I want to make sure I don't mess up the wiring in the process and could use the forums help to identify some cables running to my existing setup (from a previous owner). Below is an image of my batteries and my best guess as to what they are being used for. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

7) I believe this is for the electric tongue jack, will be attached to the positive terminal

I would install a 30-amp, slow-blow fuse at the battery--in case of a short somewhere between the jack and the battery.

The jack would probably have the same fuse near the jack.

In other words, the safest route is to have two fuses on this line.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Battery Cable Identification Help

Deleted

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote