Old 07-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Naples , Florida
Batteries when using shore power

When I am hooked to shore power for extended periods of time should I disconnect batteries to prevent problems?

randydeshong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You can just put your Use-Store switch in Store.
Larry

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
What I have found that works best for the longevity of the batteries is to monitor and cycle them. This has worked for me when living aboard our Boat, currently our Motorhome and now expected for the '58 Traveler.
I monitor the battery voltage to ensure that they don't go below say 50% or typically at 12.2 Volts. When they get close to that 50% mark then I will charge them back close to 12.7 Volts (~90%) and then do this cycle again and again. I do have Solar Panels on the coach and will be using them on the Traveler since they help to prolong the charging cycles. This also reminds me to monitor the condition of the Batteries and Charging.
While this isn't for everyone I have been able to prolong replacing the batteries because they are not cheap. On the coach I am using Trojan T-105 Flooded Lead Acid Batteries although am using two group 24 AGM Batteries for the Traveler.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by randydeshong View Post
When I am hooked to shore power for extended periods of time should I disconnect batteries to prevent problems?
The answer depends on the converter charger that you have in your trailer. For the longest time, Airstream installed single stage chargers in the trailers. Those single stage chargers charged the batteries with a high voltage, which is great whe the batteries were run down, but not so great when the batteries were closer to fully charged. So lots of us who had battery problems because of this replaced the OEM charger converter with "smart" chargers which step down the charge on the battery as the battery charges up. What this means is your water in the battery won't boil out as easily. I understand Airstream is putting smart chargers into the new trailers. So. What year trailer do you have, and what charger converter?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
You can just put your Use-Store switch in Store.
Larry
Larry, most of the 2018's don't work that way. The use/storeswitch has to be in "use", or else nothing in the trailer will work, 12v -wise.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Larry, most of the 2018's don't work that way. The use/storeswitch has to be in "use", or else nothing in the trailer will work, 12v -wise.
Hi

At least some of the 2017's also go "dead" when you hit the 12V disconnect. When in "disconnect" the solar is still hooked up to the batteries.

So yes, there are a lot of variables.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
.... For the longest time, Airstream installed single stage chargers in the trailers. Those single stage chargers charged the batteries with a high voltage, which is great whe the batteries were run down, but not so great when the batteries were closer to fully charged......

Mike
Hi

Sorry but this just bugs me:

A single stage charger would have only operating mode (a single stage). A two three or four stage charger has two three or four operating modes.

So if it has only a single mode, that would have to be fixed voltage at infinite available current or constant current at infinite available voltage. Both are impossible.

A normal two stage charger starts out at a limited current and maintains that current to a fixed voltage point. It has a spec on it like "55 amp charger". If you look at the spec sheet on any charger in any RV I've ever seen, it's got a current number on it.

Bottom line is that even the most basic charger you would ever buy is a "two stage charger". You can look at the descriptions on three and four (five ... six ...) stage chargers, the first two stages are always the same. If we are going to talk about three or four stage chargers, then we need to at least talk about all the devices in the same way.

Note that this is completely independent of the debate over the value of the third stage on the current crop of stock chargers ....

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote