Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Batteries not charging

I had new charge wizard installed Nov. seemed to be working. Two wks ago plugged in no voltage going to batteries checked voltage at charger 13.55 volts
at battery 12.54. Unplugged 12.54 volts at battery 12.54 inside camper 12 volt plugs. lights work on battery power the battery disconnect turns power on and off. Took in to local Rv shop they said it was a solenoid which they replaced this a 25 ft 2004 safari model by the way returned home plugged in still having the same problem. Any thoughts would be helpful thank you all. Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Update although the batt. disconnect light comes on as soon as trailer is plugged in unless I also turn the the batt. disconnect to use it will not send voltage to batt. from charger/converter. This seems odd that it gets voltage from batt. to camper if disconnect light is on without turning the button again. That makes the disconnect light confusing it seems that light on would mean system on now I will need to check voltage at batt. to make sure batt. is charging. Is this the way they all work? Thanks Rand
Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Battery disconnect switch

I posted on this very topic a couple of weeks ago. It would be nice if the disconnect switch had two lights, one to show when the trailer is plugged into 110v and one to show when the 12v system is attached to the batteries. I rigged up an LED volt meter to show this....see post.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...er-130725.html

George

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The use/store switch red light will come on if in 'store' with shore power to the AS. It just shows that 12volt power is on. I have a solar panel system, and the voltage display on it is my clue to battery power being on.

If shore power is connected I leave the switch in 'store' to save my batteries from the crappy converter that's in the AS at present. When I get the 4stage setup installed I won't worry about this so much. The solar system has a good MPPT charger with temperature sensing and does not boil the golf cart batteries like the Parallax that came with the AS. A few hours of sunshine and the batteries are happy again.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
I've had my AS 11 yrs and it took installing a 4 stage charger to discover how the batt. disconnect switch works. Makes me feel like a dummy. It does seem that it should have a three stage off on and charge indicator lights. Up to this point I have been charging batts. with a external 3 stage charger and a solar set up 2 100 amp panels and a morning star controller. Thanks George and rmkrum some lessons are learned the hard way.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I agree it needs another light to indicate the battery is turned on. I'm very tempted to look into that panel, trace out the wiring, and come up with something that makes more sense to me. I'd like a green light to indicate power on, and the red one to say the battery is actually connected. There's gotta be a way to engineer this better.

But yeah, using solar and a battery tender to maintain the batteries was a very good choice. Better for the batteries. I have a better converter waiting for a warm day to install it as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote