Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Bathroom / Shower Fans cause TV interference?

Anyone else have bad TV interference caused by either of the bathroom or shower fans? Our TV goes fuzzy (on air reception) when either of these fans is running. Any solutions (other than "don't shower", or "don't use bathroom" ?
kellycox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Mine does it with when I am trying to pick up a weak signal. The motor in the bathroom vent is the worst culprit... I just put up with it...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You can get an RF filter for your antenna cable, that might reduce the effect. Available at most electronics stores.

But I don't have the expertise to tell you exactly which RF filter to buy…
Old 08-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, our bathroom vent fan always interferes with the television signal.

Maggie
Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Out bathroom vent does the same thing.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I get no reception with the fans running, and crappy reception with the fans off. One of many nits. It's an Airstream.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
Classy Roscoe

Those little motors are very noisy. At one time the Chinese manufacture placed a .1mf capacitor between the lead wires to dampen the radio frequency interference caused by the make and break connection of the motor brushes.

Otherwise, make very sure all cable connections to the television are tight.

The television antenna is only a foot are two from those fans and the amplifier is inside the toad stool looking antenna on the roof.

A better fix may be to junk the dollar two ninety eight crappy antenna and spend hundred bucks for a well filtered antenna system.

All the best.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
I get no reception with the fans running, and crappy reception with the fans off. One of many nits. It's an Airstream.
^ This. Spend the bucks to fix it or just enjoy.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
The reading lights (LED) and the microwave do the same thing. Just started the other day. Suggestions anyone?
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #10
Classy Roscoe

Radio frequency interference (RFI) is a chore to fix. If you are just starting to see it I would encourage you to carefully examine the coax fitting on back of the television(s).

Make sure the fitting is tight and that the coax itself is pushed all the way into the that silver fitting that screws into the back of the TV set.

Also do the same at the power supply that feeds power to the antenna module up on top of the AS.

Usually that power supply lives behind a wall plate with a small green LED light showing thru it.

Those coax fittings are shoved into the wall behind this plate and the sharp turns in the wire are prime suspects for RFI leakage into the reception system.

Also, be sure that the AS as a whole has a good ground to shore power. Usually television receivers with good AC grounding can dump the RFI "static" to ground and limit the interference.

After a trip to Jackson Center (JCO) it becomes apparent that such coax wiring is stuffed in between the exterior and interior walls and no strain relief is accommodated. It's easy for the coax to pull apart from the silver fitting.

The folks at JCO try their best to build the best, but after the beating with the salted wet rope to get 90 units a month out the door stuff happens.

Hope this helps solve the RFI issue. Check that shore power ground.

All the best.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Thanks for all your suggestions

Folks, thanks for all the feedback (no pun intended) on my TV interference. Guess I'm not the only one by a long shot. I'll systematically try a few of the suggestions, although it's the not the end of the world, just mildly irritating. Maybe I should spend less time watching TV and more time out there exploring the woods! Seriously, thanks!
kellycox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
A filter in the antenna lead will not help. The fans (and LED lights etc.) are generating broadband interference that is on the same frequency as the TV signal and therefore can not be filtered out. You must suppress it at the source. The trick is in finding the source and how to suppress it. Radio Shack and others sell in-line noise filters for stereos. You could get one and try putting it in series with the fan power lead, as close to the fan as possible. It is designed to stop alternator and ignition noise on the 12V power from getting into the radio. It will also work to stop noise from coming out of the fan. Depending on the design you might have to wire it in backwards, i.e. put the side that says it goes to the battery to the fan and the side that says radio to the 12V power line. Be sure to get one with sufficient current rating for the fan.

Another alternative is to put a capacitor across the fan motor as Jekerrville suggest the manufacturers originally did. If one is already there, another probably won't help. Having a good ground or not won't matter. All wiring will radiate the EMI.

With the LED's the problem is the regulator/dimmer. An LED is inherently a low voltage device. The voltage has to be stepped down from 12 volts which is usually done by a switching regulator. The switching action of the regulator generates wideband interference and must be suppressed without affecting the regulation. Again, a filter as close as possible to the light might help. The above alternative, i.e. a capacitor across the 12V line might be effective. If you have a central dimmer, a filter at it might help as well.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote