Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2002, 10:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Bath lites a new type of lite

I guess I can't stop remaking everything. Can ya say compulsive obsessive ??
Long ago, I learned about the great halgon lites. They have a very long life and are adjustable in wattage with the selection of lamps. I wired a couple into the bath so as to make the same lites work on 120vac or 12vdc. Not all lite kites can be rewired, but it is very simple. In the bath, I installed 2 lites with 30 watt floods. Wow, lots of lite to shave.
....... Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pb130005a.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	28  
Old 03-15-2002, 11:48 PM   #2
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Talking More info on halgon...

So halgon lights can run off both 120 and 12v? Is there an inverter or transistor inside the casing that allows the light to get the same energy? Or are you using an external inverter?

I would really like to put halgones in my trailer. For some reason I never thought about it. Should make the next trip to Home Depot more fun!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 08:38 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Halgon lites clarify...

To clarify my 12 or 120 volt post. The halgon lites are 12volts only. When using and buying a home kit at Home Depot there is a transformer included to connect to the 120vac line. The transformer rduces the voltage to 12volts. The lite does not know about ac or dc. It is possible to operate any 12volt lamp from 120vac with a transformer. A transformer may increase or decrease voltages as required. A floresent lite fixture incheases the voltage to about 3000 volts ar less than 1/2 amp to illuminate the gas within.
The trick of using a halgon lamp is the wiring. A single pole double throw switch with center off is required. In one "on" position, the lite is powered by 12vdc, and the other "on" position, the lite is powered thru transformer. This is not rocket science. When the shore power is connected, transformer is ready to work.
As many as 3 lites maybe powered by transformer. Home depot has both 12volt and 120 volt halgon lites. Package must have transformer. Frank