Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Does the round 7 connection hitch have a wire for back up lights in it?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Does the round 7 connection hitch have a wire for back up lights in it?
which 7 pin?

there are several styles...
on the tv side some have back up lights or a ground at the #2 position

search/google 7 pin trailer wiring harness/connector for more info.

on your superduty, yes the connector has back up lights wire....

see the pic.

on the a/s side i'd suspect the wiring harness has this and that it is live in the rear...inside the wall/behind the led brake light fixture.

so you could add/install lights on the trailer or bumper as others have done

or you could get some occasional use super bright leds or blindingly bright halogens. then bring the wiring out from the fixtures or the rear stowage...and plug the lights in as needed.

or leave them to the dealer or any trailer/hitch shop to install. should be pretty easy.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford 7 pin.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	25861  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #17
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
I was kinda thinking of doing something like 2air is suggesting. My '73 has backup lights and they work (now that I've rebuilt them). On mine, there is actually an extra set of wires for both the backup lights and the brake lights tucked in between the inner and outer skins.

I was thinking of adding one of those blazing brite backup lights for those "just in case times". And maybe one of those center line brake lights in the rear window (hey, the insurance guys say they actually help avoid accidents).

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #18
_

. , .
hi jim

i added one of these to the truck...pretty nice.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/LED..._light_bar.htm

if the led taillight upgrade hadn't been done on the trailer, i'd have put another one of these back there..either in the window or along the upper window trim or beltline or bumper line...

i agree with your insurance person...3rd lights are effective.

any of the halogen off road type (kc) lights could be wired and attached to clamps...and pulled out as needed, clamping to bumper...

one issue to watch is how much juice they need. some of the halogens take a lot...

i saw a flashlight shaped thing with super bright leds 3 or 5 watts. it had a 7pin base so that it just plugged into the socket...of course this was for the truck but a 7pin mount could be used on the trailer too...

the factory back up lights on the current classic trailers are ok but not nearly as bright as the brake lights!

cheers
2air

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
While I have mine torn apart I am going to add the necessary switching and wiring for a work/reverse light. I have considered adding some of the small very bright fog lights below the bumper. I did this on my popup and it made all the difference in the world. Someone here on the board had "landing lights" installed in the rear quarters of the banana wraps. Nice smooth job and great for backing up.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #20
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Both my '75 and '79 have backup lights, but I question the utility of them. They look nice enough on a walk around, but try them at night, and there's not much to see from the truck.

Somebody here on the forum had "docking lights" installed. That seems pretty practical to me.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Here is the idea I was working off of. I can't find the post on Docking Lights. But I am pretty sure it was done by Oasis in AZ.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
Hi Goin Camping and NortrnNMguy;
I found that my 1966 Overlander International had a black wire from the tow connecter all the way to the back compartment. It is too small of a wire gauge to be used for the battery or charging, as it is only about 16 awg. I hooked this up to the BU lights pin on the connector and installed a single tractor light from Walmart. I also installed a similar light with a built in switch on the inside of the rear compartment door. These make late arrivals soooo much easier!

A note to NorthrnNMguy: I have a 99 F150 with the full factory towing package. My backup lights and all else work fine. Under the hood, there are three power distribution boxes beside each other. The two smaller ones have tape around them. The big one the owners manual tells you about; and two others. One of these is your relays for flashers etc. The other one, which is not very big, has fuses that go to your tow connector. I recently had a utility trailer that blew one of these (secret) fuses. My truck lights worked fine, but I had no turn signal power to the trailer. Hope this helps a little!

Happy camping!
Calvin
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I can't find the post on Docking Lights. But I am pretty sure it was done by Oasis in AZ.Aaron
well light seekers....

here is the thread i remember with the REALLY spiffy professional looking better than factory light modification...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ons-17807.html

tinhut had the work done by the weatherford texas dealer who also did mods on richL's trailer...

these are really nice...

cheers
2air'

Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #24

1967 17' Caravel
Bolton , Connecticut
Caravel back up lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
Just this weekend I went boondocking at a lake close by. I left late, 7 pm, arrived at the campground at 9:30 pm. We found a site, a pull thru but, I had to go the wrong way around the campground to get the door facing the site. Long story short, I had to do some manuvering to turn around.

Was I ever glad that I put the backup lights on my Caravel. The wiring was there, I just added the lights. I would have had a hard time backing up in the dark had it not been for the bright backup lights illuminating the area behind me. My TV was already equipped for the option, even has a separate circuit for them. Gotta love having a complete towing package.
Hi C Johnson,
I know this is an old thread, but perhaps you will still get this reply. I have a 1967 Caravel that I am doing some electrical upgrades to. I'd like to add back up lights, probably the ones fron Vintage Trailer Supply.
When you say that the wiring was there, do you mean that you just drilled the exterior holes and the wires were sitting in there? That would be sweet !
Thank you,
Mike
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No back up lights on my 64 Bambi II. As far as I know my trailer is not wired for them either. I switched out the rear lights for LED and did not notice any spare wires.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote