Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Backup Camera, it seems so simple, why don't they...?

Just like glancing at my rear view mirrors, why can't the back up camera have a button for a 10 second view of your hitch? How many times have you heard a noise and wonder if the safety chain is dragging or did I really lock the Coupler? Once while pulling a flatbed trailer, I heard a noise and had to pull over where there was almost no shoulder (a huge safety issue). I thought perhaps I had lost some cargo but the pin holding up my jackstand had vibrated out and the bottom of my jack stand was grinding against the pavement. PLEASE manufacturers, give us a 10 second rear camera view while driving forward; Give us a safety feature that would cost you nothing!
Do you agree? Who can we contact?
RLWardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
On our factory installed camera in order to do what you are suggesting the camera itself would need to be positioned differently and have an adjustable lens so one could angle it own toward the hitch rather than the back of the trailer. I use it mainly to watch how close vehicles are to our trailer, not for backing up.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
When I replaced the head unit in my TV I had my integrator make it so I can turn on my backup camera anytime (I also have a front camera that can do the same). Depending on your make an model you may be able to have something like this done. Just find a reputable mobile electronics installer in your area (not Best Buy) and explain to them what you would like and see if that is something that they can take care of.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLWardd View Post
Just like glancing at my rear view mirrors, why can't the back up camera have a button for a 10 second view of your hitch? How many times have you heard a noise and wonder if the safety chain is dragging or did I really lock the Coupler? Once while pulling a flatbed trailer, I heard a noise and had to pull over where there was almost no shoulder (a huge safety issue). I thought perhaps I had lost some cargo but the pin holding up my jackstand had vibrated out and the bottom of my jack stand was grinding against the pavement. PLEASE manufacturers, give us a 10 second rear camera view while driving forward; Give us a safety feature that would cost you nothing!
Do you agree? Who can we contact?

Have you contacted the manufacturer if your camera? They may already have a work around for your issue.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a backup camera in my MH and it was amazing what I couldn't see. Twice, when I had flats in my single axle trailer, the trailer looked fine until a trucker waved me to the danger. The tire was gone as well as the fender and the rim was beat up.
I couldn't see the trailer tires, or behind the trailer, but I could see the hitch. Made it great for connecting.
I worried enough about random noises that I'd take an exit and weave back and forth to see the trailer tires in my mirrors.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a backup camera on the truck's tailgate and a rear view camera on the back of the Airstream.
Both video signals are going to one monitor.
I use a toggle switch to select which view- back of truck or back of trailer.
I switch to the truck's camera to make sure I am not jack-knifing when reversing in a tight turn and then switch to the trailer's rear view camera to know when to stop.
It's the little things...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I have a backup camera on the truck's tailgate and a rear view camera on the back of the Airstream.
Both video signals are going to one monitor.
I use a toggle switch to select which view- back of truck or back of trailer.
I switch to the truck's camera to make sure I am not jack-knifing when reversing in a tight turn and then switch to the trailer's rear view camera to know when to stop.
It's the little things...
That sounds like a sweet setup - my Pioneer head unit shows the truck camera and a separate monitor for the Airstream camera (Voyager)

Old 05-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
My dedicated, hard-wired, rear-view camera system came with one camera, which I mounted on the inside of the rear of the trailer, and a monitor which is mounted on the dash of my truck. The monitor has provisions for multiple cameras, so I bought a $15 camera on Amazon that I mounted on the back of my truck. I may now switch the monitor between the two cameras, one showing what's in back of the trailer & the other showing the hitch.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Pretty soon, between the back up monitor, the GPS, The hands free phone/bluetooth music, and the TPMS, your average TV will look like a 747 cockpit!
Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All of my equipment is aftermarket- installed at our local car stereo/home audio store.
They also can install an override for the not allowing the camera view except in reverse.
With the override adapter installed you can see the camera view any time in addition to DVD movies.
I think this override can be installed fairly easily even on factory systems.
It is just something put on the internal part of the gearshift, like maybe the device that turns on the reverse lights.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Pretty soon, between the back up monitor, the GPS, The hands free phone/bluetooth music, and the TPMS, your average TV will look like a 747 cockpit!
Mine already does, including the ham radio head, the attached microphone, the big screen nav/engine monitor on an old iPad, the backup camera monitor, the reverse sensor display (connected wirelessly to the trailer), multiple phone mounts with charge cables everywhere, the Bluetooth speaker on the sun visor, etc.

What's not to love about a 747 cockpit???
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Mine already does, including the ham radio head, the attached microphone, the big screen nav/engine monitor on an old iPad, the backup camera monitor, the reverse sensor display (connected wirelessly to the trailer), multiple phone mounts with charge cables everywhere, the Bluetooth speaker on the sun visor, etc.

What's not to love about a 747 cockpit???
LOL - at night it looks like Times Square in my cab

Old 05-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I actually enjoy all the "instruments"/information within my view-
Speed, fuel level, charge level, oil pressure, RPM, engine temperature, transmission temperature, SiruisXM station or song on the iPod, GPS maps, view behind the trailer, climate control settings, trailer tire pressure, trailer tire temperature...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLWardd View Post
Give us a safety feature that would cost you nothing!
Start creating a hookup checklist. Airplane pilots have checklists for almost any conceivable situation (to tie into the "cockpit" analogies some are drawing here). It won't save you from everything but it should help avoid the niggling doubts about having pulled up the jacks, connected the umbilicals, chains, coupler latch pin, etc.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
On our factory installed camera in order to do what you are suggesting the camera itself would need to be positioned differently and have an adjustable lens so one could angle it own toward the hitch rather than the back of the trailer. I use it mainly to watch how close vehicles are to our trailer, not for backing up.
I have a Ford F-150 with a back-up camera, and I can SEE the hitch when backing up. Makes it easy to connect the ball. However...........
I CANNOT use it when going forward.
I LIKE his idea.

C'mon auto makers: Do the right thing.
As he said, 'taint hard.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Our 2017 2500 ram has 2 backup cameras, one for in the box, one for the for the hitch. You can use either one while going down the road....works good
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Our 2017 2500 ram has 2 backup cameras, one for in the box, one for the for the hitch. You can use either one while going down the road....works good
My 2016 RAM 2500 has only the one on the tailgate but I can turn it on at any time, in reverse, forward, or park.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
It seems to me that if you're worried about your hitch, it's worth pulling over to the side and stopping and throwing the TV in reverse so you can see it, or (gasp) actually getting out of the TV to take a look at it.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When we bought our MH the factory backup camera and monitor had died, so I bought a wireless camera and monitor. It it set to show the whole Jeep and tow bar. I bought it at Camping World, so I probably paid way too much for it. When we get our truck and Airstream the truck will have a factory backup camera. It may be sufficient for aligning trailer and truck, but most likely I'll add another camera and monitor mounted to properly show what's happening as I try to hook up. I'll add a wireless camera at the rear of the Airstream so I can see what I backed into.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumineer View Post
Start creating a hookup checklist.
Great idea. I did that on the MH because some things were easier done in a certain order. For instance, get out the wood blocks for the jacks before deploying the slides because the bay would then be under the slide. Same with departure. It's so hard to "LOOK UP" that many drive away with the antenna up or the window awnings out.
Then. when you have it like you need, take to an office supply and get it laminated.

I also had things I'd put on the steering wheel. "Remove before flight" to remind me of things like "store the hose" and don't leave it on the picnic table as you drive away.