Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #1

Question Back-up lights

Our 1990 32 ft Excella has a clear lens in the tail light assembly which I take to be a backup light. It's not active.

I thought I'd find a terminal block for the umbilical under the couch, but there was nothing other than the batteries and converter in there.
So much for looking for a wire to trace !

This is our third Airstream, the other two are '71 and '74 models. All have what looks an awful lot like backup lights, none has ever worked.
At State Inspection time, I always find myself forced to talk the mechanic out of rejecting the trailer due to non-working back up lights.

Does any one know if these lights are ever wired for operation, or is this someone's idea of decoration ?
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The lights are there to work. I posted this a few days ago and there was a member, I think it was Kevin, that has the backup lights working.

I plan on having mine adjusted to work.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Actually, here is what Kevin posted from thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...r&pagenumber=2

What is your Brake Controller of Choice?

Greetings Eric!

RE: Backup Lights

I have them wired on my Argosy, and wish that I had that option on my Airstream (it was an under $20.00 option in '64 but the previous owner's didn't order it on the coach - - one of the few overlooked options). I am virtually certain that the wire is already connected on the trailer end. If someone other than an Airstream shop wired the car end of the connector, it is very possible that it wasn't wired to the backup light circuit. Since each of my tow vehicles have been wired by my Airstream dealer, the backup circuit was already properly connected on the car end. It is a nice feature to have, but the intensity of the light from my Argosy's backup lights is such that it isn't very useful in after dark parking - - does provide a nice warning to pedestrians and others behind the trailer that the rig is moving backward.

Kevin
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (Towcar-in-Training)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Old 04-01-2003, 05:56 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The lights more than likely work, but the question is do you have a backup feed wire coming from your tow vehicle? if the wiring was not a factory install, many mechanics do not bother, unless you ask.

If you look in your manual you should have a pin out on the connector on the trailer. The 12 VDC feed from the tow vehicle can be jumpered to any light connector. Some of our unit members light their unit at night using a jumper like this. The same type of jumper could be used to check the operation of those pesky backup lights. FWIW the lights are ok if backing into site in the darkest of nights. The best aid to backing at night is a helper with a flashlight.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I had to repair both of the backup lamp sockets on my Overlander as they didn't work. They put off fair amount of light but not nearly enough to see back much. I think they are of more use just as reverse indicators.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:15 PM   #6

Quote:
The best aid to backing at night is a helper with a flashlight.
Well, some help, but not much.... at close to 60' in length, 2 way radios are a must. Even in the day time....

Quote:
I think they are of more use just as reverse indicators.
That's what we thought. When we were in NJ, State Inspection was "self inspection, by owner" !!!! A real joke. In VA, it's more serious. It won't be long before they insist we have those lights working.... even if they are totally useless.

I guess, this is a 2nd reason to work on the plug. We've "gotten away" for over 10 years without charging the batteries from the tow vehicle....sometimes up to 1 week of bondooking at a time...with only one battery. We are going to get spoiled.

Thanks
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

The backup lights on our 1972 Overlander weren't working and droave my husband nuts for almost 6 years as he experimented every spring with a neew thought on why they wouldn't come on.
Finnally when we had the trailer in for several other items he asked the mechanics to take a look. All it needed at this point, having replaced & rewired everything he could think of as a better ground. Now each time we hook up and test all lights he is thrilled that the backup lights come on like clock work.
mareinmn
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:11 PM   #8

1972 29' Ambassador
Sumner , Texas
Backup Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas
I had to repair both of the backup lamp sockets on my Overlander as they didn't work. They put off fair amount of light but not nearly enough to see back much. I think they are of more use just as reverse indicators.

Chas
Chas,
I removed the backup light covers to discover that the bulb base and the base of the entire fixture assembly was severely rusted. Where can I get a replacement for this entire assembly?

Thanks,
Tom
1972 Ambassador
TSandersParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:02 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Try www.inlandrv.com or www.airstream.com