Old 10-09-2004, 08:41 PM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
OK - I can't resist! I have my notebook computer mounted on the console in order to use the DeLorme navigation system --- lots of fun, and truly valuable from time to time.
Try this: http://www.grandtec.com/webcam.htm

Old 10-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Maximum USB cable length is 5m, with most of the USB 1 devices limited to 3m. That will work in your truck.

You can get a wireless camera (802.11) and establish an ad hoc network. It can easily go the distance, and there are plenty of wireless network cameras that do not require a computer.

Bluetooth is normally a short distance (50 ft. or less), but could be extended with extraordinary means.

802.11 wireless is the way to go if you want to use a network camera.

Be sure that the camera has an outdoor capable iris for sunlight. Also, most of the computer cameras do not use IRad, so night vision may be limited.

73/gus

Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Tinsel,

If you mount the camera upside down, doesn't the image come out upside down on the monitor?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:09 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I leave my front window awning/rock guard open and keep the rear window curtains open so I can see directly through the Safari with my rear view mirror.

I've only had to replace the front awning/rockguard a few times now. 57MPH seems to be the sweet spot...any faster and it starts to pull away.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
OK - I can't resist! I have my notebook computer mounted on the console in order to use the DeLorme navigation system --- lots of fun, and truly valuable from time to time. Could you somehow mount a computer monitor camera using "Bluetooth" or one of the other fancy computer gadgets - like the built-in wireless capability - that I know absolutely nothing about??? That way, I could simply switch screens when I wanted to take a look out back. Aside from "wireless," could you use the camera hard-wired to the USB port?
If you have a wireless card for your notebook you could get a wireless network camera which you power off the trailer system using a small inverter. This is what I'll be doing as I also carry the notebook with GPS.
You should be able to use the usb port but the price of a usb cable that long could be more than the wireless and more trouble.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My HP notebook supposingly has WiFi built in - with an antenna in the lid. Do I still need a card??? I'm far more knowlegable about Model "A" Fords!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**camera for MH**

I'm looking to purchase a camera and monitoring system for the (new to us MH) we recently purchased. I would like to know if there are any cameras and monitors that stand out as being better or more versatile. I've read through some of the threads listed here about back-up cameras and understand that most people prefer a reverse screen monitor; can this picture on the monitor be set up to view directly as well as a reversal picture?

Thanks,

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We initially looked at NV Systems, http://www.nvsystems.com/. They have just what we wanted for our 30' Classic - the wireless camera with 4" display and receiver in the truck, reversed image, with night vision IR lighting. However, a couple of things:

1. Read these conditions:

a. CREDIT CARDS ARE CHARGED AT TIME
OF ORDER TO INSURE ORDER IS CREDIBLE. Plus he will not take them directly, only through PayPal.

b. RETURNS - REFUNDS & EXCHANGES
In case of a defective product(s), Nevada Systems, Inc. (NSI) will
either repair or replace them under the terms of the warranty.
Returns are subject to deductions for shipping costs and a 25%
restocking charge and must be returned within a five (5) day period
from date of receipt of product(s). The restocking charge is waived
if the product(s) being returned is applied toward the purchase
of another one of our products.

2. He said he wasn't sure how well the wireless would work within the AS to truck configuration. Under the terms, we could not return the camera unless it was defective. If it just didn't work in our configuration - that was not an approved return - besides the 25% restocking fee.

So, while these may appear to be just right, most of the equipment is not name-brand, and the terms are not what I would accept. Read the fine print.

Bottom line - beware. We have not found just what we are looking for anywhere else. But we're still searching.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
Old 12-13-2004, 06:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

All I can say is that the hard wired system gives optimal performance. There is no static / interferance in the video and the view would be like looking in the rear view mirror. I have repaired and installed the reversed image units but the drivers really never used that feature. They have calibration marks on the monitor to indicate how many feet you are form an object which is a big help. With our setup when somthing apperas to be touching the corners of the video monitor STOP because it is right at your bumper. Just mount the camera in the middle of your back window or outside whichever you like. Our unit has sound so if it was mounted outside someone could shout verbal instructions while backing.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:36 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Did you wire through your trailer? If so, how did you run the wire? Did you add another connector at your bumber for this?

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
Old 12-13-2004, 06:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
We initially looked at NV Systems, http://www.nvsystems.com/. They have just what we wanted for our 30' Classic - the wireless camera with 4" display and receiver in the truck, reversed image, with night vision IR lighting. However, a couple of things:

1. Read these conditions:

a. CREDIT CARDS ARE CHARGED AT TIME
OF ORDER TO INSURE ORDER IS CREDIBLE. Plus he will not take them directly, only through PayPal.

b. RETURNS - REFUNDS & EXCHANGES
In case of a defective product(s), Nevada Systems, Inc. (NSI) will
either repair or replace them under the terms of the warranty.
Returns are subject to deductions for shipping costs and a 25%
restocking charge and must be returned within a five (5) day period
from date of receipt of product(s). The restocking charge is waived
if the product(s) being returned is applied toward the purchase
of another one of our products.

2. He said he wasn't sure how well the wireless would work within the AS to truck configuration. Under the terms, we could not return the camera unless it was defective. If it just didn't work in our configuration - that was not an approved return - besides the 25% restocking fee.

So, while these may appear to be just right, most of the equipment is not name-brand, and the terms are not what I would accept. Read the fine print.

Bottom line - beware. We have not found just what we are looking for anywhere else. But we're still searching.
NVsystems does not answer emails either. I sent two stating I was ready to buy but had a couple of questions. No response. Also called a few times and always got a recorder. All this, plus the above policies equals no business from me.

Still searching for a better retailer but haven't found any yet. Plenty of wireless cameras but few with the reverse image. I like the idea of wireless ease of install, even with Tinsel explaining how he wired his without too much trouble. Gus, if you find another source of wireless cameras with reverse image, let me know. Thanks.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

As shown in the pictures from the camera. I ran the wire under the molding into the side bed cabnet and goes down to where the ac wires run in a compartment to the bath. Then behind the bath cabnets to a dc conduit under the floor that comes up at the converter, goes outside to a plug that is attached to the main trailer interface. I guess I should take a picture of how the plug to the tow vehicle and post it. Bottom line is that you can not see the wire at all.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Pflugerville , Texas
Talking Inexpensive Backup Camera

Santa found a inexpensive security camera for me, B/W monitor and cables. I think the plan was when I couldn't get it to work in the 310 it will be installed in the house. This is what I found out, more by luck then smarts. If you mount the camera upside down and swap the leads on the vertical deflection yoke the picture will be up-side-right and mirrored, just what I wanted. It came with an A/C wall adaptor but will run on 13.5 volts DC or internal batters. I won't know how well it performs for awhile. (I cann't even spell EFI ) bill
Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
FYI....

Starting in late 2004 Airstream ran extra wires to the license plate box from the front pigtail connector on the coach. This wire was run so that the frame can be replaced with a frame that has an integrated backup camera in it. This was done with an eye to easy upgrade for this exact purpose.

I would check with the factory, but some of you may be reinventing the wheel.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote