Old 02-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Axle Wiring Diagram

I am looking for a very basic diagram to show me how to wire my new Dexter axle that has electric brakes, up to the area where my break away will be. I am about to complete the decking on the recently repaired frame. Thought this would be a great time to run that line up forward when it is all in the open. Should I run a parallel line for the ground all the way up?
Here are some pictures.
I hate to do electrical, it is a completely foreign concept to me. I could use some experienced help here.
Thanks.
BB 55 Bubble (Beau)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0454.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	31695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0455.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	31696  

Old 02-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Wiring

I think first you should replace the brown lamp cord with the correct wire size, 14 gauge double insulated is what coach builders use today, there is no polarity issue so any wire to the magnets as long as 1 is ground and the other is positive when engaged.
ZoomZoom

Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i agree the lamp cord should go.

john
Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Lamp Cord?

The wire that is in the photos is what came OEM from Dexter. If it is inferior I will of course replace it. But what of the extra wires that are spliced together? Is it manufactured that way to accommodate multiple wiring configurations?
I did call Dexter axle but the tech I talked to had no idea of what I was referring to.
Where is the best Ground location? Dexter suggested I run the ground forward and use the tow vehicle as the ground, does that sound correct?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
The jumper is to be connected to the tow vehicle power (ie: brake control) or trailer wiring as some may call it.

Seems a bit strange that the brakes are not connected on both sides with the connectors though! In other words - why isn't the brake connected to the "lamp cord" on one side (picture on the left).

Let me try lehmans terms - "lamp cord" to brake #1 - through axle to brake #2 - jumpers connected to trailer wiring (one hot/one ground).

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Henry
Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
BB, I will be glad to tell you. The magnets on the brakes do not care which way the DC electricity comes from. All they want is a hot and a ground. The frame on the Airstream as well as every other frame is subject to surface degradation, thereby not allowing for the best operation of the brakes, therefore requireing a dedicated ground. At the 7 way plug, most likely you will have a blue wire that is the hot from the controller on the tow vehicle. Now, I use a two wire jacketed wire available at Tractor Supply and other places, to run the wire back to the wheels, one is black, the other is white. I connect the black wire to the blue from the brake controller for the hot side. I use a 'Y' to connect the white wire, one leg going to the frame, and the other leg going back as the dedicated ground. I also "y" the black wire, running back each side of my trailer, rather than crossing over from one side to the other at the axle. Either way is fine. I then attach the white side to one of the wires from each wheel. I use the black to hook to the remaining wire from the wheels. I wire my breakaway switch the same; one wire to the white, the other to the black. The power wire for the breakaway comes from the house battery bank, the power jack is a good place to tap for power. I make all my connections with solder, and use shrink tubing over them for protection. The wires you hook to the black leg need to be protected, as a nick could result in a short of the brake power. To test for power at each wheel, have someone activate the brake while you walk up to each wheel, holding a compass. The compass should immediately point at the wheel.
Hope this helps.
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
i agree the lamp cord should go.

john

Lamp cord from Dexter??

Some body has got to be kidding.

Cutting costs??

Hmmm.

Andy
Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
That is definatley lamp cord there ,no doubt about it .it will be of a small
gauge wire inside the insulation ,most likely 18 or 20 gauge ,better to install wire the proper 14 gauge as zoom zoom has said .

Scott
Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Not sure.

I bet the "lamp cord", as it is dubbed, is 12 gage wire, if installed by Dexter. I too think it looks strange. If it were mine I would run the black/white jacketed wire, as others have noted. Simply remove the grommets and attach the black/white wire to one end of the "lamp cord" - this will allow you to easily pull the new wire through the axle tube body. Replace grommets - done!

Check this link: http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Typic...em_Diagram.pdf

Regards,
Henry
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Site Team

, Minnesota
I didn't use the 'cross-over' wire on my Dexter, but I recall it was not lamp cord. It may have been 14ga, or 12 as Henry says.

Regardless, even 16 ga would be bigger than necessary for a 3.0 amp load.