Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Autolamp Tail Lights?

Hi all, my '66 Overlander has Autolamp "wedding cake" tail lamps (not the infamous and now reproduced Bargman 99's). These are 4 screw tail lamps. They are very sun fadded and cloudy and more or less orange in color. I'd like to replace the lenses if at all possible to improve the looks, but more importantly improve safety by letting more light thru. Does anyone have any of these lenses in good condition that are for sale? Do you know where I might find some? Is there any chance they are being reproduced? Thanks in advance,

Joe
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Golden Valley , Minnesota
Lightbulb

Joe you could try to use a Taillight Restoration system like the one they sell through Eastwood Automotive.

Take a look:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...78+Z&Dep_Key1=

or

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=93&I1.y=75

1979 Avion Model M 28'
2005 Ford F-150
1962 Land Yacht Safari 22'--sold
1999 Yukon Denali Silver--sold
ColtSAA45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Charles, Thanks for the tip. I did not know that such a product existed. It might just allow us to get a few more years out of the lenses. Of course, if anybody has any to sell I'll still gladly take "newer looking" ones.

Joe
Old 04-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Question Another Question

I was able to get some "replacement" lenses pretty cheaply from a salvage yard. I took a chance that they were better than the ones on my trailer - sight unseen. They arrived today and overall look to be about the same shape, perhaps a bit better - minor cracking around the screw holes and a somewhat faded color - pretty much as expected. For the record, these are Autolamp 575's with the following markings on the lenses "Autolamp 575 Chicago SAE-S-1A-L-T-63".

However, upon closer inspection, the lenses might not be that faded afterall. They appear to be made of some sort of translucent plastic in a light off white color, with the red color "spary painted" on the inside surface. I say this because the red coating is peeling off the inside of the lenses I bought. I haven't taken mine off to compare, but can this really be the way the Autolamp lenses were made? If so, does anyone know what type of paint I could use to restore the red color? If so, where is it available? I'd think you can't use regular paint because the light has to shine thru the red paint. Also, I'd want to make sure the paint was compatible with the plastic of the lenses - I'd wouldn't want it to eat into or dissolve the plastic.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
Old 04-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet restoring color to lens

Krylon does make paint that has molecular compounds that does not melt plastic and actually bonds to the surface, however, I fear this would occlude the transparency needed for your lights. The only other suggestion would be to get stained glass paint that you can buy at your local department store as it [/COLOR]is transparent and made for use on plastic or glass. This could be painted on the inside of your light cover and provide the translucency needed for braking purposes. You may want to check with an Auto Zone or even Lowe's for their suggestions. Hope this helps
Old 04-20-2004, 03:38 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Joe,
Can you post a picture of the lense? If it is the one I think it is, another source could be Mobile homes of that vintage And is some cases the lenses on those were concealed by add ons etc. My FIL has a 65 Ritzkraft, the next time I am down that way I will check out the lenses. His has a shed built over the back of it that covered the lenses.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I had forgotten, but at one time, someone had posted that there was a 'graveyard' for old AS's and that they had all kinds of parts. If you can locate that thread and find out where the place is, maybe you can contact them and see if they have the lenses that you are looking for and ship them to you.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

66 Overlander, We replaced our wedding cake taillights on our '67 Globetrotter with the brighter LED's. They have the four screw hole configuration. For safety and brightness they surpass the old ones. We also updated the marker lights to LED and added backup lights since we found the original wires.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Where did you get the LED lights from and are they a pain to install? I have heard of others going to this system. Are there any advantages?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Olney , Texas
Hi. We've got a '63 Globe Trotter and are also seaching for the Autolamp wedding cake, 3-tier, 4 screw tail lights but the search has so far been futile. Any leads would be much appreciated as those on our trailer are pretty well shot.
Thanks. Dayna
TXHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
Thumbs up LED tail lights

One thing about the LED assemblies to consider is that the light emitters are red. They don't depend on the red tail light lens like the clear incandecent bulbs do to make the color red.
I went to LEDs & it is a huge improvement in your trailers lighting at night.