Old 06-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
AS Fuses

I am trying to stock up on extra fuses for the AS. I keep it in storage so figured it would be easier asking about the fuses than driving all the way over and looking. I know what most of them are, but the 50, 30 and 20 AMP TYPE 2 fuses, is that the little glass tube type or is it like the ATC fuses. Also what does a 50 amp SLC fuse look like.

Thanks KS

Old 06-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I don't know what circuit uses a 50 amp fuse, but the only glass fuse I have on my 2009 27 FB is a 30 amp for the front power jack which is the only one that gives me trouble. All the rest are standard automotive fuses. Open the fuse panel and I would be surprised to find anything higher than 20 amp on the 12 volt side.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
My AS manual says that the 50 amp ones are for: Battery Cable Fuses SLC 50 Amp and 12-VOLT BREAKERS 50 Amp Type 2. I guess I can drive over later today and look.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Take the specs to a GOOD auto or truck parts store like O'reilly's. They can fix you right up.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Auto Zone

I experienced a good deal of difficulty locating the 50 amp fuses when I was working on the '78 about 10 years ago.

I finally found them at a West's Marine.

Recently I found them at an Auto Zone.

The '78 Sovereign requires 4 of them.

Better to carry a full set of spares as they are hard to find.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstewart23 View Post
I am trying to stock up on extra fuses for the AS. I keep it in storage so figured it would be easier asking about the fuses than driving all the way over and looking. I know what most of them are, but the 50, 30 and 20 AMP TYPE 2 fuses, is that the little glass tube type or is it like the ATC fuses. Also what does a 50 amp SLC fuse look like.

Thanks KS
The voltage/amperage determine the size. The glass tube fuses are AG (auto glass). When you say "type 2", what's the rest of the information on the fuse? I think you're reading the "type" as a previous part of the description:
LITTLEFUSE ATO BLADE FUSE STANDARD
TYPE 2 AMP
That's saying
ATO Blade Fuse
Standard Type
2 Amp

ATC fuses are the blade style automotive fuse

50 amp SLC looks like a cartridge, used inline and typically time delay (can take a surge before blowing)

There are A3T T type fuses. They may connect the inverter to a hot lead directly off the battery by a few feet. I blew one of those on day 1, they cost $35-50.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I don't know what circuit uses a 50 amp fuse, but the only glass fuse I have on my 2009 27 FB is a 30 amp for the front power jack which is the only one that gives me trouble. All the rest are standard automotive fuses. Open the fuse panel and I would be surprised to find anything higher than 20 amp on the 12 volt side.
I feel foolish having to ask, but just where is the fuse panel located in a 2009 25' FB Int.?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm not sure. On my 2012 27FB it's behind a vented cover near the floor to the left of the oven. There's a little twist lock on the top that opens the grate and there are all the fuses. Let us know if you find them!

Do you have your manual? It will identify it there too.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Found a new mystery fuse under my sink today, 1.5 amp. It is not for the water filter, I have that one marked.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Found a new mystery fuse under my sink today, 1.5 amp. It is not for the water filter, I have that one marked.

Your water filter has a fuse?
Maybe the other one is for the pump.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
AS Fuses

Depends on the age of the AS.
Maybe in the circuit breaker box for 110VAC there are big old fashioned house type fuses, but not likely.
The 12VDC on our 75 has old fashioned "glass tube" fuses like cars used to have - three of which are 50 amps (battery + & -, and battery charger). This style of fuse comes in a variety of "flavors" - slow blow and fast blow for example as designated by a secret alphabetical code most are unfamiliar with.
A newer AS will likely have the bladed fuses for the 12VDC like cars now have.
A Google image search of electrical fuses will make your head hurt.
Someday if I put solar on ours, I'll not only clean up the rats nest of wires some nice guy created, but replace the fuse block, and get rid of the soldered wiring and other interesting connection techniques.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Your water filter has a fuse?
Maybe the other one is for the pump.
1. Yes, it has a control circuit that monitors effectiveness.
2. Negative, water pump is located on other side of trailer and has its own fuse in line.

Did a little more looking. It is part of a bundle of wires to nowhere. I am guessing it is for something prewired but not installed. I have found several of these mystery wire bundles in the trailer. One in the forward area under the street side couch, one in the compartment with the water pump, one under the bed and now the one under the sink. Impression is that the wiring harness is generic and wires used as needed for different systems and options.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
1. Yes, it has a control circuit that monitors effectiveness.
2. Negative, water pump is located on other side of trailer and has its own fuse in line.

Did a little more looking. It is part of a bundle of wires to nowhere. I am guessing it is for something prewired but not installed. I have found several of these mystery wire bundles in the trailer. One in the forward area under the street side couch, one in the compartment with the water pump, one under the bed and now the one under the sink. Impression is that the wiring harness is generic and wires used as needed for different systems and options.
In mine on the street side L of the L-couch is my Inverter and a harness for a powered sub-woofer.

I've been in the pump area to winterize but haven't noticed any bundles in there. I did notice some kind of powder on the floor, not sure what that is.

Under the bed is the water heater and storage but I haven't found any wire bundles there either, nor under the sink, but I haven't looked. Good to know about the fuse for the water filter, I thought there was a battery in there somewhere. The little light comes on when you press the button to filter the water. My light is yellow, I think it's time to change the filter.

I agree on the wiring harness, easier to make it standard and use it for all of the AS of a model/size.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote