Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
anyone have an inverter?

Would like feedback on what you think of having an inverter, does it do the job, what size would we need? We are thinking of getting one, want to know if it'll run LCD 15" tv, how long can you go using the inverter? appreciate any thoughts on this..Thanks
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I just installed a 800w inverter in my Ambassador. Only because I already owned it.

If you look at the back of your TV it should tell you how many watts it uses. Most likely around 50 watts. I'd buy a 150 - 200 watt inverter for a comfort zone. I'd get a Xantech or comparible one that you wire directly to the battery rather than the kind you plug into a cigarette lighter.

You should be able to watch TV for more than 10 hours w/o running a 100 ah battery below 50%.

Some TV's actually run on 12vdc normally and the AC cord/supply that comes with it knocks it down from 110vac. Sometimes you can wire them direct and avoid the need for an inverter.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Inverter

I have a 750w inverter that I have only used twice. From what I have read the best ones are full sine wave inverters. I just used mine for a tv or the stereo for an hour or so . I think it is nice because so many ac-dc products have a rather high price tag considering the quality of the products. The little dc plug in units are not very useful but something like a small commercial inverter is good for most applications, I use a black & decker. If I were to do it over again I would shell out the bucks for a full sine wave inverter. If you do the research (like I should have before I bought one) it sounds like they are worth it. I do think it is worth having one around.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I used to have one that I used for incidental 120V use. I never used it consistently but was handy for battery chargers, etc.
Never have used one for appliances. I was always concerned about battery drain from over use at night when I didn't have solar. Daytime was OK, solar kept up fine.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I bought an 800 watt inverter off ebay a couple years ago and use it to watch TV/DVD from time to time for short periods when at the deer hunting camp (off grid). I plan on mounting it in the hollow area of the arm of the couch after I upgrade to a 2 battery system on the tongue of the trailer and install a 100 watt solar panel system. I haven't had any problems. A friend in camp uses a 300 watt unit and it works for his TV/VCR combination.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Check the box on the power cord of your LCD TV.
There is a good chance you will see that it has 120V ac coming into the black box and 12V DC going out to the TV.

If you want to save battery power AND the price of the inverter just splice the little plug going into your LCD TV to a cigarette lighter plug, and magically you have a 12V TV.

Going right to 12V is much more efficient than inverting 12V-120V-than back to 12V.

Really, it works!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
We use ours

Very important to us when we are boondocking as my husband has a C-Pap machine (used while sleeping).

I don't know too much about it besides it is a green color. But it does run our LCD TV, my computer and Leon's C-Pap at the same time. We do need to recharge the batteries with our Honda 2000ie generator after 2 or so days - but I don't think that's too bad when you look at what I'm running off of it.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Very important to us when we are boondocking as my husband has a C-Pap machine (used while sleeping).

I don't know too much about it besides it is a green color. But it does run our LCD TV, my computer and Leon's C-Pap at the same time. We do need to recharge the batteries with our Honda 2000ie generator after 2 or so days - but I don't think that's too bad when you look at what I'm running off of it.
Michelle,

You can purchase a 12V DC cord for the Cpap machine. I obtained one from the supplier for about $20. No need to use an inverter and the power loss involved. Always best to use 12V rather than going through an inverter if you don't have to.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Michelle,

You can purchase a 12V DC cord for the Cpap machine. I obtained one from the supplier for about $20. No need to use an inverter and the power loss involved. Always best to use 12V rather than going through an inverter if you don't have to.

Bill
Hey Bill,

Thanks! This is good to know. When I checked for this option the supplier of the C-Pap machine acted as if I had three heads. But come to think of it this was Leon's "old" C-Pap machine, he had a new(ish) model now. I'll check it out.

But, I still "need" to run my laptop computer and my Treo cellphone so I can connect to the internet while we are in the wilderness so we will be running the inverter anyway.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Hey Bill,

Thanks! This is good to know. When I checked for this option the supplier of the C-Pap machine acted as if I had three heads. But come to think of it this was Leon's "old" C-Pap machine, he had a new(ish) model now. I'll check it out.

But, I still "need" to run my laptop computer and my Treo cellphone so I can connect to the internet while we are in the wilderness so we will be running the inverter anyway.
Michelle,

I have a 12V cord for my laptop (Dell) and cellphone (motorola). Try to eliminate conversion losses whenever possible.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Michelle,

I have a 12V cord for my laptop (Dell) and cellphone (motorola). Try to eliminate conversion losses whenever possible.

Bill
Ok, then the solution is to get a multiport 12v thingy and plug all my stuff into it. I'll get working on it.