Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
Anyone have a wiring diagram for '75 excella?

I've got a problem with one of the circuits on my trailer. A new univolt (one of those wizard ones with a remote pendent) has been installed, not sure if by a pro or a PO. Anyhow, it is circuit 1 and after the light that is on that wire is on for a few seconds the electric meter pegs out so the guy that was checking this for me told me that this means there is a short somewhere. Great. So I'm wondering if anyone has a wiring manual and is willing to copy a page for me. It's a purple wire, it controls the two bathroom lights and the water pump. 1975 31' Excella 500. If noone has a book do we know where I might be able to find this info? What a bummer! Seems like every day something else falls apart

Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
75 wiring

Here you go. One is center bath the other is rear bath
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 75Wiring.pdf (642.3 KB, 179 views)

Old 03-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa View Post
I've got a problem with one of the circuits on my trailer. A new univolt (one of those wizard ones with a remote pendent) has been installed, not sure if by a pro or a PO. Anyhow, it is circuit 1 and after the light that is on that wire is on for a few seconds the electric meter pegs out so the guy that was checking this for me told me that this means there is a short somewhere. Great. So I'm wondering if anyone has a wiring manual and is willing to copy a page for me. It's a purple wire, it controls the two bathroom lights and the water pump. 1975 31' Excella 500.
The dreaded Purple Wire Syndrome!

Lisa, I am willing to bet that whoever replaced the Univolt did NOT replace the fuse box, but cheaped out and used the old fuse box that the factory put in there 36 years ago. Am I right? I believe that this box is your problem. MANY people, myself included, have had this problem.

If I am right, the answer is to purchase a new, good quality fuse box, perhaps from one of the fine parts re-sellers that are Commercial members here on the forums. What happens is that the old one loses its temper (the steel does) and the clips that hold the fuses and the socket where the purple wire connects make a poor connection. That increases the resistance in the circuit and can blow the fuse, or the voltage just drops enough that the lights won't light.

Of course, I could be wrong and there might be a short in the wiring, but Lord help us if such is the case. That's a lot of stuff to tear apart (all ceiling) to get to that wiring!

I bought a new fuse box, and a new 12V converter and will be putting them in the end of next month.

Quote:
Seems like every day something else falls apart
Look at it this way, Lisa: sooner or later you will have replaced everything!

Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mona I would look at the water pump. It is not supposed to be hooked up to that purple wire. Can you turn off your pump from the switch at the control panel. The water pump is hooked up through the switch at the control panel with an orange wire and the switch is fed from the fuse panel by a red wire. The pump takes more power and needs a larger guage wire than that purple wire. That may be the cause of your overload which blows the fuse. You don`t have a short, the circuit is overloaded. If it was a short the fuse would blow instantly.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Daniel, amazing, thank you SOOOOO much!!!
Aage- You are right, old fuse box But I called some place that sells the univolt things and they told me to call a salvage yard because I can't replace the fuse block....?? I can't remember if that was Inland RV or another place I found on here that sells converters.
Chris- Don't tell me that I don't know how the water pump would have been hooked up to the wrong circuit. The fuse/wire blows/gets super hot with the bathroom lights, not the water pump...I have an e-mail in to Airstream, maybe they will be able to shed some light.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
On mine too the water pump is orange from the control panel.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Hmm....well that would make sense since there is an inline fuse on that orange wire. I wonder what the heck could have happened!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Hmm....well that would make sense since there is an inline fuse on that orange wire. I wonder what the heck could have happened!
Creative electical work by a previous owner, or a line change during the season. You are not the only Purple Wire victim that has told me the water pump is on the purple wire... Nobody with a Sov like, me, but one or two Excella owners.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Isn't there a switch on the control panel to turn the water pump on? I wouldn't know because I don't have a control panel (yet).
If so, with the purple wire attached does that mean that it is always on?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
There is a switch on the control panel as well as in the bathroom, and it only comes on when the switch is on. But that doesn't seem to blow/heat up the fuse...I'm so confused!
Aage- thumbs down! I can't believe there wasn't a recall when these came out...uggg!!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mona I don`t know for sure about your 75 but my 73 had no switch in the bathroom for the water pump. Maybe the PO added that switch and tied into the purple wire for power to the switch and left the power from the orange wire connected to the switch at the control power. Can you post a pic of the bathroom switch. Does either switch power up the pump or only the bathroom switch.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Fuse panel

I don't know who told you that you can't replace the fuse panel. I would not put something used in if I were going to make changes. It is certainly possible and can be done with relative ease in most cases. There are plenty of members here that can help you with that. Can you post some pics of what you have?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Lee Dale

1974 31' Sovereign
Jackson , Georgia
Mona
I have a fuse panel new that you can have for $30.00. Bought it first then bought a converter with fuse panel built in.
Lee
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Chris- it appears original, I think my owners manual even mentions it but I will take another look. The water pump works with both switches.
TG- I definitely don't want to go through all that trouble to put something used in either!
Lee- Can you PM me the info about it?

Tags
1975 excella 500, 31', purple wire problem