Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 93
Any idea where I can find a short 30A cord for generator use?

Hi,

I'm looking for a short 30Amp cord to use with our generators (2 honda eu2000i, one being the companion with the 30Amp connector)?

I found one on the Furrion site that is 12' and has the marine coupler on both ends, which I think would work. I haven't called yet to see if they will sell directly to me.

Any other thoughts or suggestions welcome. I would actually like something more like 6' if such a thing exists.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
__________________

barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,769
Not sure what will work for your gen but try online at Wholesale Marine. They have lots of pigtails and stuff.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/c/1/i...FQhgTAodOTqFwQ
__________________

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Eric H's Avatar
 
1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 457
Images: 9
If you can't find what you need you can make one fairly easily. Buy the cord and the connectors and wire it up!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,769
Here's another place.
Again, I don't know what exactly you need but at least you can check some of their stuff out and maybe they have what you need.

Furrion Pigtail 30 Amp Female To 15 Amp Male
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a short 30Amp cord to use with our generators (2 honda eu2000i, one being the companion with the 30Amp connector)?

I found one on the Furrion site that is 12' and has the marine coupler on both ends, which I think would work. I haven't called yet to see if they will sell directly to me.

Any other thoughts or suggestions welcome. I would actually like something more like 6' if such a thing exists.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Jeff,

I've been looking for a short cord as well. I think that the marine cord you mention is not the same connection as the RV version, but the 12' length would be perfect. I think the only way to go is to make a cord. I would much rather have the molded ends like the cord set that came with my trailer though. I have looked everywhere on line with no luck. Let us know what you come up with.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,113
Walmart has a 30a , RV , 12' extension chord if that's what you are looking for .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
jrudd1968's Avatar
 
2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 91
Images: 12
Camping World has a 25'. Just bought one for the same application. I want to be able to plug into my Honda generators from the back of the trailer to the tailgate of my truck while I'm still hooked up. The factory cord won't quite reach. I worked in the electrical industry for 38 years so I priced the parts to build one, and I could not build it for the $41.99 I paid Camping World. I wish I had thought about Wal Mart having them because the 12' would really be all one needs.
__________________
James Rudd
2001 25' Safari
2003 Dodge 2500
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 94
Polar Wire Products Custom and Prebuilt Cables

Or other custom cable makers.
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
Walmart has a 30a , RV , 12' extension chord if that's what you are looking for .
I only found a 25' cord. OP is looking for a short (12') cord. If you find it please post a link.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,847
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 55
Hi, any reason that you couldn't just roll up the excess cord and use it that way? Are you concerned with power loss? Why do you want a shorter cord?
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Because it is shorter.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, any reason that you couldn't just roll up the excess cord and use it that way? Are you concerned with power loss? Why do you want a shorter cord?

ROBERT, wasn't trying to be funny, but have been searching for a short cord-set for quite awhile. Not concerned about power loss. My trailer has the front electrical hook-up and a shorter cord for the generator is much like grabbing the shortest water hose you need. I would like to find a short molded cord-set to keep in the truck with the generator, and leave the 30' trailer cord-set on the trailer. For some reason this is very hard to find item. The marine cord-set mentioned above could be used with adapters, but would not be as clean.
Gene
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,915
Images: 1
Do you like RED? Matches the Honda

opp's only a 10'r...

Bob
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"


Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 194
A 10'r would work but it looks like I would still need an adapter on one end.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,847
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 55
Hi, I did search last night and all that I could find, needed at least one adapter or one replaceable end. Funny that they have some for 50 Amp systems.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Does anyone know why RVs use a cord-set with different ends? In other words you can not plug the cord into itself end to end like a typical extension cord.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
ddruker's Avatar
 
2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 262
Images: 1
This is a very easy DIY project at home depot or lowes. Just go buy how ever many feet of 10-3 SOOW or SJOOW bulk power cord you want, which they have in the electrical section of the store. It will cost you about $1.50 per foot. 10-3 means three conductors - hot, neutral and ground, in 10 gauge, which is what you need to support a 30 amp circuit. SOOW means heavy duty rubberized power cord, oil and water resistant, rated for 600 volts. SJOOW is the same thing but rated for 300 volts.

At home depot bulk wire is on a big rotating rack in the electrical aisle. They all stock exactly what you need and will cut to the exact length you want at no charge.

Then have them show you where the 30 amp plugs and sockets are, and buy two that match what you need to plug into. You can bring a picture or drawing of what the connectors you are plugging into look like.

To attach the plugs to the cord, you need a wire cutter / stripper (a scissors or razor knife will do in a pinch) and a philips screwdriver. Simply strip of about two inches off of the outer cable jacket to expose the conductors, then strip about 1/2 inch on each conductor, and then follow the directions and pictures on each plus and screw the wires onto the hot, neutral and ground terminals on each of the two connectors you purchased. Last step is to tighten down the cable clamps built into the connectors, and you are finished.

Only wierdness in this could be if you need a 30 amp RV socket on one end of your cable, which I can imagine they might not have at home depot / lowes. If this is the case, I would buy a short adapter at Walmart or camping workld that will convert the RV plug from your AS into a standard 30 amp circular plug.

Wiring this all up is about a 10 minute. Difficulty is about 2 out of 10.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
This is a very easy DIY project at home depot or lowes. Just go buy how ever many feet of 10-3 SOOW or SJOOW bulk power cord you want, which they have in the electrical section of the store. It will cost you about $1.50 per foot. 10-3 means three conductors - hot, neutral and ground, in 10 gauge, which is what you need to support a 30 amp circuit. SOOW means heavy duty rubberized power cord, oil and water resistant, rated for 600 volts. SJOOW is the same thing but rated for 300 volts.

At home depot bulk wire is on a big rotating rack in the electrical aisle. They all stock exactly what you need and will cut to the exact length you want at no charge.

Then have them show you where the 30 amp plugs and sockets are, and buy two that match what you need to plug into. You can bring a picture or drawing of what the connectors you are plugging into look like.

To attach the plugs to the cord, you need a wire cutter / stripper (a scissors or razor knife will do in a pinch) and a philips screwdriver. Simply strip of about two inches off of the outer cable jacket to expose the conductors, then strip about 1/2 inch on each conductor, and then follow the directions and pictures on each plus and screw the wires onto the hot, neutral and ground terminals on each of the two connectors you purchased. Last step is to tighten down the cable clamps built into the connectors, and you are finished.

Only wierdness in this could be if you need a 30 amp RV socket on one end of your cable, which I can imagine they might not have at home depot / lowes. If this is the case, I would buy a short adapter at Walmart or camping workld that will convert the RV plug from your AS into a standard 30 amp circular plug.

Wiring this all up is about a 10 minute. Difficulty is about 2 out of 10.

Thanks ddrucker. I have saved your post...will probably end up going this route.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 91
Images: 3
wal-mart
__________________

r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.