Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medford , Southern Oregon
Any downside to getting a 2nd air conditioner?

DH and I are getting close to placing a order for a 27FB. He mentioned wanting the second air conditioner in the bedroom and I thought I read that there might be a downside to having the second unit.

We'll be contacting the dealership next week but I was wondering if someone might clear it up for me? As I understand it, the airstream will come with 30 amp service but if we add the second air conditioner, the airstream will then be outfitted with 50 amp service?

Other than the cost of adding the second unit, is there any other downside to ordering the trailer with a 2nd air conditioner?
sakthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Other than another spot for potential leaks I don't see any downside.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Well, they simply replace the fantastic fan with a air conditioner, so there is already the potential for a leak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Other than another spot for potential leaks I don't see any downside.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We love our 2nd AC. Being a 34' absoutely NO air was making it down the hallway to the bedroom. We installed it ourselves so I made a few non-standard choices...we have dual 30A inlets. The regular one operates the entire trailer, just like every other 30A 'Stream...the 2nd 30A inlet operates the bedroom air. If we get into a pinch an only have one 30A outlet we can choose to run just the bed room air. If we have 50A, I uses a 50A to dual 30A pigtail.

AND since the rear air only pulls 17A...I can plug it into a 20A circuit...(and the rest of the trailer in the 30A...)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
It will always be too cold inside.

Duals on the MH, the rear one has its own power cord to be plugged into a regular 15/20 amp socket at campgrounds.
The 30 amp powers the front and everything else.
While on the road, the gen powers both.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
etobicoke , Ontario
for what it's worth...

i really can't take the heat. (fair-haired, english blood and all that...). thus, i definitely thought we'd need the extra aircon unit for our bedroom. (we just bought a 30').

after being persuaded by the guys at the dealer, indeed it turns out they're right; the main aircon unit is quite powerful and sufficient (albeit it runs on the noisy side). it has lots of separate openings and multi-directional fins, that allow you to shoot the air straight to wherever you want it - back to the bedroom, straight downwards, forwards, or what have you.

depending on just how hot it is where you're at, it's a much much superior experience, just to have the awnings out (to deflect the sun), the windows open, and the fans on, compared with running the noisy aircon unit (or two).
aimcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
If you can't get any shade in your spot, are dealing with 100F or 35C and up, don't have the full awning package (or don't want to bother with it)... a 2nd A/C isn't a bad idea. It's not much more considering the total cost already... downsides are with 2 running, you'll be pushing the limits of a 30A service...

If it cools off at night or you don't need it super-cold during the day... 1 will do...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I was kidding about it being two cold...

get too !
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
second airconditioner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakthorp View Post

Other than the cost of adding the second unit, is there any other downside to ordering the trailer with a 2nd air conditioner?
get the second unit! you will thank yourselves. You will need ear-plugs though.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you run them both off your batteries, you'll find them batteries run flat pretty quick!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
50 Amps and 2nd AC

We chose to have the 50 amp service installed when we ordered our unit. It is one of the best decisions we made. We just use an adapter for the 50 amp cord when only 30 amp service is available.

Re: 2nd AC

When the temps get into the mid 90's or higher you will not regret the second ac.

Other advantages are:

-If one quits the other can be used until it is convenient for you to have the repairs made.

-When the temps do not require the use of both AC's we use the front AC at night and the rear AC during the day while we are up to reduce the noise level.

-When u have guest the temp for each area can be set for individual comfort.

Hope this is helpful.

FWIW

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have dual air. The main disadvantage is that you then give up the fantastic fan in the bedroom. This means that less daylight reaches the bedroom, and it makes it more difficult to cool down the trailer when shore power isn't available.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Agreed - 30 needs two A/C units - 27, I would no only because my 25 was fine with one...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Agreed - 30 needs two A/C units - 27, I would no only because my 25 was fine with one...
Ours only has one. We're going to the Outer Banks in August, so I'm curious to see how it will handle it there (that's the hottest/sunniest place we usually go, so if it can handle that we should be good for 99.9% of our trips). This will be our first trip to the Outer Banks with it.

My parents have an older 34' with only one, and they're looking at putting a 15K BTU A/C in theirs. It's not as good as a second A/C, but it's quite a bit easier and should at least help somewhat. We'll probably do the same when it comes time to replace ours.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
If you travel into the heat from Oregon often, you cannot have too much cooling from the AC in my opinion. Some time back we upgraded the 13.5BTU to the 15BTU and at times I wish it was even larger! Really though, when it's hot we just close off the bath and bedroom and gradually cool down. The cat loves the warm back room anyhow! Happy Trails.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Ours only has one. We're going to the Outer Banks in August, so I'm curious to see how it will handle it there (that's the hottest/sunniest place we usually go, so if it can handle that we should be good for 99.9% of our trips). This will be our first trip to the Outer Banks with it.

My parents have an older 34' with only one, and they're looking at putting a 15K BTU A/C in theirs. It's not as good as a second A/C, but it's quite a bit easier and should at least help somewhat. We'll probably do the same when it comes time to replace ours.
This week was the FIRST time I found my 15K single A/C insufficient - for my 25 FB Safari. Of course it was 106 F. I wasn't parked in deep shade either, but had full sun from about 10:00 am ON. Seriously wished I had the full awning package. Humidity was brutal too. I was trying to do some inside maintenance/cleaning/etc. Ended up flopping on the bed with my Endless Breeze fan and a spray mister just trying to keep cool. It was SO hot that I tried to take a cold shower, but the water in the hose ran hot for 5 minutes before I got ground water!

Paula
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There have been several occasions where I would have loved to have a second unit in my 25'. Cost aside, it would be a no-brainer for me in a 27'.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I think we'll spring for the 2nd unit. Appreciate the replies.......
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
From what I read online the southern portion of the US requires double A/C units, and practically speaking as a matter of humidity control, not just triple digit temps. One cannot go wrong. The future owner can easily change this. It's a win/win.

A bit of shade in AZ goes farther to keep the vehicle cool than along the Gulf Coast, as humidity should be factored closely. Our days here in South Texas may not reach above 95F but the humidity doesn't get lower than 60% either.

My experience is that a 32' Silver Streak (better design / insulation than an A/S) cannot quite cope with local temps with a 15k unit . . but it does surprisingly well in shade past 10 a.m. with a dehumidifier also running (a big un'). When I leave (8-16 hours at a time) I turn the A/C temp fairly high and the DH to "Normal". This keeps the interior humidity at or below 55%. Yet even at .11/kwh my utility bill is still at $100/month, overall (I'm happy to splurge after six straight days into & out of the oilfield).

How to wire it in (separately or main panel change, etc) is the only real question. I've seen several nice "conversions" here (and elsewhere) so take your pick.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
From what I read online the southern portion of the US requires double A/C units, and practically speaking as a matter of humidity control, not just triple digit temps. ...
Amen Brother...
We had no real problem cooling off at 103 in Colorado with 20% humidity...BUT here in Mississippi at 90 degrees and +90% humidity it was a double AC, wide open for hours contest to make headway...The driveway looked like we had a water main break from all of the condensate
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote