Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Arrow Antenna Dilemma

I have the original 1975 antenna, It is in need f repair. Is it worth restoring this?

Or purchase a new style. Are there any good replacements available?

balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I have the original 1975 antenna, It is in need f repair. Is it worth restoring this?

Or purchase a new style. Are there any good replacements available?

If this is the Skyliner, my enquiries indicated that it is no longer made, and that the only spares available were the connector block from the co-ax to the antenna. My antenna was so badly affected by corrosion that total replacement was the only option. I was lucky to find a used "as new" Skyliner in an RV dealers for $10. Many owners opt for the Winegard batwing. If you use the search facility for these names you will find many useful opinions. Good luck. Nick.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

It's hard to believe but antennas do wear out. The oxidation on the elements and connections, which there are a lot of, degrade the signal. Also the wire builds up a capacidence being flexed over the years degrading the signal. The bat wing amplified antennas are really great. Our home antenna is huge compared to the AS antenna and the AS antenna gives us a far better signal. Heck, I should get a new antenna for the house now that you brought it up. Your best bet is to get a new antenna. Problem is how do you get the new coax wire into the trailer.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Antenna CABLE lead failed

I have this small problem, the coax lead has separated where it disappears under the antenna mount. Is there a tried and true method to fix this or am I in a place far far from home? Griff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
...Problem is how do you get the new coax wire into the trailer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
...the coax lead has separated where it disappears under the antenna mount...
Why could you not attach the new coax cable to the old coax and pull the old cable out pulling the new in behind it? Is it attached to the ribs or interior walls?
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Antenna Coax

The little stub that is sticking out is all bound up with caulking and is not in a mood to move. I was thinking about drilling a hole forward of the mount and fishing the wire out and making a H2O tight assy. and riviting it in place with a male connector sticking up. Then screw a new cable from the the ANT. to it. What do you think? Griff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote