Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Manzanita , Oregon
An unexpected spark

I was wiring a temporary plug onto the end of the hot water heater circuit in my 76 argosy today.

Touched the metal plug housing to the positive battery terminal and surprise! Sparks! The AC circuit was OFF.

?????

It took a minute to figure it out.

The metal housing on the AC plug is bonded to the AC ground which is bonded directly to the trailer frame as is the battery negative. = closed circuit

probably a really unlikely event but worth noting anyways, because at certain times while working on things there are a lot of DC hots floating around, and any tool or appliance with a grounded metal housing would create this effect.

Solution don't be an idiot like me with Dc hots floating around
Brian Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Schulz View Post
Solution don't be an idiot like me with Dc hots floating around
Wow - glad you weren't hurt. So exactly what could I do to prevent this problem from happening to me? How would you do it differently if you have to do it again?
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Disconnect the negative terminal if the battery. Disconnect ALL. 120 volt AC power to the coach.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Thanks to both of you. You may have saved someone from a very unpleasant surprise.

I would love it if important safety information like this were repeated more often. Repetition can really help drive a point home.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote