Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Amish Heater

I've been thinking (that's what keeps me in trouble), about the heat in the trailer. I have seen advertised on TV, Amish Heaters (other brands also) that keep a large area worm while the casing stays cool to the touch, and cuts down on the utility bills. Has anyone tried this type heater in their tin can. Just wondering---any way to save a buck, ya know....Tom
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've heard critical things about Amish heaters. The claims are mostly sentimental. They're no different from any other electric, propane or natural gas space heater. They won't keep your floor with the accompanying water pipes warm. Best thing to do that is an OEM furnace with the designed ducting that at least takes some warm air to the tanks below the floor.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
It's just a pretty box(their opinion) with a bunch of heat lamps in it. Plain old electric heater. It cuts down on utility bills only if you don't heat the rest of your house.
I think it is a good con job.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Those answers couldn't have been faster by phone. Thank you for your replies. God be with us all.......Tom
Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
While Early spring and late fall camping we take our I-heater with us. It is the smaller of the two models. I does keep the front 2/3 of the trailer warm just fine. (We pull the bathroom door closed) If the weather is at freezing or below it will run non stop while sitting on the floor. But if set on the stove top it will cycle on and off but the floor area will be COLD! It is nice and quiet, it does not get too hot, it also will not heat the area quickly. Our furnace works just fine but we use the I-heater to save propane.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
It appears we thinking down the same road here. I also have the furnace and HVAV for heat. I have seen the advertisement for that stove, and have wondered, does it work. Thanks for response. Tom
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I have an EdenPure heater. The only reason I do is because I got it at a thrift shop for $8. It works fine, is quiet, and adequately heats the interior of the Bambi. The same thing can be accomplished with a $40 thermostatically controlled ceramic heater. They are about a quarter of the size of the EdenPure, and use the same amount of electricity (usually 750 & 1500 watts). I've used both, and have found the only difference is, your cat can't sit on the ceramic heater.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Thank you for the information. I am going to check out what you said. And....if I curl up with a cat next to a stove, I'm in the wrong trailer.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
All electric heters and all electric using equipment produces heat at the rate of 3.41 Bth per watt. No copper coils, heated with quartz lamps, no Amish fireplace mantles, no advertising which says nothing and relies on fake satisfied customers will change that fact of physics. There is no magic in electric heaters. A nice quiet Vornado from Wally World with a good thermostat, will cost about $50 and will heat just as well, and at the same cost, as the $400 ones.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
At least I see I am not the first to think of using these electric heaters. I appreciate everyones input. I will delve into the purchase utilizing all responses, and forget about the Amish (stoves yes..food no). Thanks a lot guys and gals.....Tom
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My supply house just started carrying these. I keep hoping a client will want one soon so I can see how they work.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Mocus : I'll bet if you ever ate here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2seVFoFBfhU

You'd think very highly of Amish comfort food !!
Join the Facebook A'34 group today !!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/206443579449380/
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Amish - really?

Amish people are pragmatic. They wear polyester because it's durable. Even though most don't have electricity in their homes, some sects us it in the barns so they can sell the milk to non-Amish dairies which won't accept hand milked or unrefrigerated products. Many though not all Amish avoid being photographed, because it's worldly (vain). Popular tourist destinations have affected the quality of craftsmanship in a large number of Amish communities. Before you go into an Amish restaurant - take a look in the dumpster - in quite a few you'll find commercial size cans of fruit filling and packages of premade piecrusts. Sigh.

Amish heater? Amish ELECTRIC heater? Doh!
Most Amish still use Iceboxes and wood, coal or kerosene stoves. (but then advertisers wouldn't sell so many if they called them B***S*** heaters would they?.

Quilt making and wood working - Well Amish toys are now generally ASSEMBLED by Amish, but the wheels are imported from China, etc.
Frankly master craftsmen do still exist, but a reasonably careful woodworker with modern tools, laser sights, etc., that can cut and turn precision pieces with a better result than anything built with hand tools by a craftsman of modest experience.

Because most people don't really know a good quality quilt from a Chinese knockoff (most of which are just awful) there are a lot of Amish quilters who are selling quilts they'd have used as horse blankets 20 years ago.

Was it P.T. Barnham who said there's a sucker born every minute?

Paula
Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Scamish heaters

RE: SCAMISH HEATER

Most household electric heaters have a maximum rating of 1500 watts.

1500 watts is roughly 5000 BTUs. 1.5KW x 10 cents x 24hrs = $3.60/day for one room

At the end of the day, it doesn't much matter if you produced your heat/watts from an over-priced “Amish” heater, a twenty dollar ceramic heater, a hair dryer, quartz rods, a 1500w oil radiator, five 300watt heat lamps, or ten old 27”crt televisions... The room will end up at about the same temperature.

My preference is open quartz rod radiant without a fan. The fans, like on the Holmes and Sunbeams just cool the plastic chassis and make very annoying noise, and waste watts.. The oil radiator is a good heater THAT YOU CAN SIT ON and quiet too.

I built my own 5000BTU “Super Nova” for $15 and junk around the house...

[I suppose “Don't try this at home” caveat applies]

Bought a Sunbeam in the Spring, marked down from fifty to fifteen dollars at Walmart. I removed the tip switch and fan, disabled the overheat breaker, tossed the plastic case, and control switches. Installed the rods and reflector in a 3' section of 3 ¼” x 10” range hood/heat duct, rewired with individual 20A switches for the two 750W rods, and screwed it onto a mysteriously disappeared from the kitchen 9” x 13” cake pan for the base.

It is very handy to speed dry sheet-rock mud, paint, varnish, Bondo... Awesome at removing place and press floor tile. With both rods on, you cannot sit within five feet of it without getting over-heated, it keeps a 300SF room in the house comfortable, and pre-heats my insulated one-car garage close to T-shirt comfort in about three hours.

For the Globetrotter, I'm going to try the 800Watt Olympus which has two smaller quartz rods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	super nova.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	152656  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I cackle every time I see that disinfomercal

One of these has worked for years as aux heat.

Bob
Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Winder , Georgia
Has anyone completely removed their LPG furnace and rely solely on electric heat?
blackhawksid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawksid View Post
Has anyone completely removed their LPG furnace and rely solely on electric heat?

Not by choice....when the LPG took a dump on our 63 Safari the Polonis took over for 5 Seasons. OK but not great. Still use it in the Classic on occasion.
The LPG has always been the better long term option for us.

Bob
Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
"Has anyone completely removed their LPG furnace and rely solely on electric heat?"

I have not removed our LPG furnace but I do rely on electric heat. This Louisiana weather doesn't allow for much heater use. I use a very small ceramic heater to get the chill out the air and on the rare occasion I need more than that our new AC has heat as well..
missyloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
I've been thinking (that's what keeps me in trouble), about the heat in the trailer. I have seen advertised on TV, Amish Heaters (other brands also) that keep a large area worm while the casing stays cool to the touch, and cuts down on the utility bills. Has anyone tried this type heater in their tin can. Just wondering---any way to save a buck, ya know....Tom
I guess anyone that has tried a "worm," better get another past time. Warm looks better...why didn't someone fall me out?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Was it P.T. Barnham who said there's a sucker born every minute?

Nope, P.T. Barnum

(you can laugh at my "curtains" as response, Paula: the sew-er made them with an office stapler and spray adhesive. But it's an improvement over what was removed).

As to electric heat I'm less in favor as time goes on. The power cords heat up, the TT electrical system is worked harder . . . propane just isn't that expensive.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote