Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Affordable Approachable Lithium

We all have read about lithium batteries and how it's the newest game in town. Incredible packaging, weight, charge and discharge qualities. All wondrous things. At a price with significant install complexities.

What if I told you a large capacity battery system with lithium qualities could be affordable and approachable? With some unique benefits.

The device is not new. The integration strategy and approach is what's new here.

Enter Goal Zero Yeti portable battery stations. I used the Yeti 1000 model which is a 98Ah portable lithium battery, with built in charger and high power inverter.

I've always dismissed the idea of replacing solid existing installed capacity with a different flavor of the same capacity. Or thousands more just to match or actually increase the installed capacity I have. But I've always wanted for real high power discharge capabilities to power a residential hair dryer, microwave, etc., something that lithium are great at.

Strategy is a dual battery bank system where the lead acid 12V "house" battery takes care of the house loads. Augmenting with a lithium battery system to handle the 120V "accessory" loads. In this way, I'm not paying for premium batteries to supplant basic uses. That premium accessory capacity is installed above and beyond the house capacity I already have. 215Ah in my 6V lead acid batts. Adding another 98Ah Goal Zero Lithium.

300Ah capacity. For $1000.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASGZ1.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	342297

Like I said, the integration is what's unique here. This also works great on older trailers to add a 120V inverter inclusive in that same $1000.

I've installed a 120V transfer switch ($75) behind my Airstream power center. This allows the Goal Zero Yeti via its own onboard inverter to power all 120V loads and outlets on the trailer as if it were plugged into power hookups. This allows me to use it for discretionary accessory uses like microwave, hair dryer, TV, and whatever else with superior lithium supported power. With a push of a single button to turn on that Yeti 120V inverter.

So what about charging?

That's the other half of the unique integration. It couldn't be simpler. The Goal Zero Yeti's have built in onboard chargers. Just add a $39 "12V Yeti Car Charger" that charges at 5 or 10 amps. Plug it into any cigarette lighter port. It has a built in voltage relay that switches at 12.8V such that it will only charge when it detects charging voltage. Such that it doesn't charge from and draw down the house batteries.

That means any charging source including the converter charger, solar, generator, car umbilical, can provide charging power to the lithium bank by virtue of it being plugged into the 12V bus.

I have 400W of solar on my trailer. My two battery banks are primarily charged evenly and nicely from that source alone.

Bonus, I can easily unplug the Goal Zero to use in a portable fashion away from my trailer. It also works great as a standalone backup in case anything in the trailer electrical system were to fail.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Very cool. Saw also your inverter thread. This is something I might adopt in a couple of years.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
This is awesome. Adding to my wish list. Jim
Old 06-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use the battle born battery

no issues in 2 years

we bring ours in in the winter as it drops below 0C for many months
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Nothing against Battle Born batts, but this is wholly a different strategy and value proposition. Battle Borns are a different LifePO4 lithium chemistry better suited for permanent install. Roughly $1k for 100Ah. Whereas the GoalZero is an all inclusive package with greater power density, built in high power inverter, charger, likewise $1k for 100Ah. Value, portability, capability, and ease of use is the trade.

Fundamentally, this install is akin to having dual battery banks. A strategy used in bigger RVs and boats. Separation of concerns. Failsafe's. Support of multiple draws to different banks such that the load is not all on a single battery at higher c-rates.

The challenge of dual banks traditionally has been the need to duplicate battery management, chargers, distribution etc. This is where the Goal Zero type batteries help as it has everything built in.

I have a 2000W inverter existing in my trailer. I literally can throw this out now with the better inverter on the Goal Zero (1500W/3000W surge for 30 seconds). That's 2000W inverter is a $400 component that is made superfluous by the Goal Zero. Looked at another way, if one wanted to upgrade their trailer that does not have lithium and does not have an inverter, that's a huge discount on the two components.

GZ also has 132Ah (Yeti 1400) and 280Ah (Yeti 3000) solutions. Imagine a Yeti 3000 installed on top of solid house batteries. That's almost 500Ah for $3k. Something that traditionally has required a significant time and money outlay on the order or $10k++

More interesting is the GZ is expandable. I can add cheap AGM batteries chained to the Goal Zero Yeti's, yet keep the lithium performance properties of that battery bank.

It has a nice readout. You can see the roof installed solar charging it on low at 60W. I tested it pairing a microwave and heater to 2200W. I might even try the A/C on it for kicks. Here's just the coffee maker.

Name:	ASGZ1.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	342407
Old 06-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
This sounds like a significant addition to my power system. I have not felt the GoalZero Yeti implementations so far were cost-effective improvements, but this seems like a really good idea. I'm going to seriously consider this as a part of my ongoing power system reconfiguration necessitated by replacing my jackknife sofa with a recliner loveseat.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Yup. I did this in my Interstate 16 months ago. We have been full time in it for over a year now and the Goal Zero 3000 has been a great addition. Our separate fridge and freezer combined use about 8A, (100W) which deplete my 220Ah AGM batteries overnight (that floor being 50%, or 110Ah). I've decided not to use a charger via cigarette lighter and I use a bank of four GZ chargers which charge in up to 10 hours if it is very depleted.

Initial writeup here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-a-177828.html

Also, new discoveries on how best to use it, just documented here (more details to come). http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...er-196410.html
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI plenty of earlier threads on the various Goal Zero 1000/3000 etc. options:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Goal...com&gws_rd=ssl

FYI/FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Glad it works for you. Looks like it would take up a lot of room. You have a nice place to put it. My only option would be the closet. Then how do you wire it so it remains portable. I see other comments that it takes forever to recharge and the inverter is 1500 watts not 2000.

You add the transfer switch and and extra $ for their charger plus wiring might as well go with a regular lithium such as Battle Born
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Glad it works for you. Looks like it would take up a lot of room. You have a nice place to put it. My only option would be the closet. Then how do you wire it so it remains portable. I see other comments that it takes forever to recharge and the inverter is 1500 watts not 2000.

You add the transfer switch and and extra $ for their charger plus wiring might as well go with a regular lithium such as Battle Born
Hi NoResults. The pics don't show scale well, but it's a fairly compact unit (10.1"L x 15.3"W x 9.3"H). Small enough that I could locate it in any one of my lower storage spaces on my 27FB trailer easily.

I have two wires plugging into the unit: 120V plug, and 6mm barrel charging adapter. Barely more difficult to unplug than my electric coffee maker. I can unplug the GZ and my trailer continues to have full electrical support from the house batteries, including 120V as I have a separate 2000W inverter (2000 was in reference to this separate inverter).

Charging speed is a matter of capacity and preference. I have mine charged and tendered by solar where speed is not really a concern. At 10amps (120W), it'll charge from fully depleted in about 1 sunny day. Goal Zero makes a number of different chargers and options, including 50amp 12V chargers, 25amp 120V fast charger. I don't need any of those for the way I'm using mine.

I got my Goal Zero on sale for $800. Add $75 for transfer switch. Plus some misc wires I had at home and did the install setup myself. The transfer switch is wholly optional, but was a cheap and easy addition for me.

These prices are in a completely different ball park than your suggested Battle Born. A single $1k investment is 1 bare battery. I can't do anything useful with that. If I install it in place of my house batteries, I've downgraded to only 100Ah capacity. One has to invest in a minimum of 2x Battle Borns at $2k to begin to play.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Seems like a good way to to add an inverter and a 100 Ah lithium battery without any technical know how.
Is the inverter 1000 watts? When I had my 1000 watt inverter I was not able to operate even the smallest microwave. This is why I installed a 2000 watt inverter.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Dan, the inverter on the Goal Zero Yeti 1000, 1400, and 3000 are all 1500W inverters. With surge capability for 30 seconds to 3000W, which is beyond what most residential 15amp circuit breakers will allow.

I have tried, and it will definitely do what it says, without power sag. That is the beauty of lithium batteries, to be able to support 1C power draws continuously.

1500W continuous is enough to power anything you could plug into standard 120V plug at home. Generally, devices don't draw more than 1500W continuously at least, as it has to follow the 80% rule for a circuit. 120V @ 15amp is 1800W max, or 80% of that is 1500W continuous. The Goal Zero should handle anything you want to plug in.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Yes, I posted a months or so ago to one of the other Yeti threads, that I had used a GZ Yeti 3000 to emulate shore power with some success. No the AC will not run, but most everything else did. The Microwave was a bit touchy, and I believe on less that full power you can skirt the 30 second surge limit. I kept my Yeti on the backseat of my Silverado, and ran the shore power connection through the sliding rear window. I had two 180W Grape Solar panels on mounted on the tonneau cover and recharged it with Solar during the day. I also had an ef2400is Yamaha generator that I used to charge via 4 standard wall chargers with a branch connector to the Anderson Power Pole input (I have plenty of inputs on my 3000 with the MPPT module dedicated to solar). I was inputting over 500W at some point.

I was camped at a festival where generator usage was limited to off hours, as the noise was not allowed while the stage was occupied. Really like NOT having to run the genny most of the time. I also used the genny to make sure the house batteries had a full charge via a BatteryMinder charger.

I now have two Yeti 3000's AND a Yeti 1000, all of which I bought during the recent Costco and REI sales. And I've added two 100W Grape Solar Panels to the roof of my truck for a total of 560W! That gives me the option to charge two yeti's at the same time (any combination of two of the four each), or use branch connectors to combine all four to charge a single yeti.

As the original poster said, it is flexible and multipurpose. No mods to my trailer at all, and all at a cost that was less than Airstream OEM Solar. And I can use the Yeti's as backup power for my house during outages here in Florida. I have an 11.5 KW roof mounted Solar System on my house, but it is inaccessible during outages, but my Portable Grape System is. And with the surplus I am generating with my home system, my Yeti's are always charged and ready to go. BTW, Enphase, the maker of y rooftop microinverters, is now marketing a system that makes Rooftop solar accessible during outages, so I am looking into that.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

. . . similarly . . . the Goal Zero units are also useful as mobile power stations during hurricane season . . . and can be loaned to family and friends who need to keep a fridge etc. going . . .

Along with small propane-fired generators which can run off a 20-lb. BBQ tank, a continuous source of power can get folks through the tough times.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Thanks ptek makes more sense now. May consider in future 20% off is quite a bit. Makes me re-think solar especially at AM Solar prices for panels.

Need to shop when I am ready.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I really enjoy reading about these creative solutions! Nice install too!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
These devices have indeed been around for awhile, with a lot of swirl in discussion. The possibilities, accessories, and learnings are changing constantly. Lots of information and options to wade through with MPPT charger this, stacking chargers that, which all gets complicated quick. Just like permanent lithium installs, the possibilities are endless.

My aim is to have an easy and effective setup to support my luxuries. The less that this is a project, and the more this is about usability, the better.

Major parts:
1) Goal Zero Yeti of your capacity choice
2) 12V Yeti Car Charger
3) Transfer switch or manual plugging in of 120V output to external hookups

Other items:
4) Solar sized appropriately to cover house battery and accessory battery (I have 400W). Remember that power ultimately has to come from somewhere. Batteries just store said power. A power generation deficit will always result in not enough reserve capacity.
5) Ability to turn off converter charger. Avoiding transferring power between the battery banks saves wasted conversion overhead.

@Tomzstream, yes I've read your GoalZero thread. Lots of useful information there. Not sure why you can't power your microwave. Is all your overhead loads, including the converter charger shut down? Microwaves generally don't draw over 1500W unless it's a high powered residential built in microwave on an independent 20amp circuit. Mine draws exactly 1103 watts as show on the GZ display and will run indefinitely with enough reserve.

Speaking of which, the GZ inverter is really efficient with very low standby draw. 3-5 watts, that I can leave on all the time if I wish.

Name:	ASmicrowave.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	342483

As I said, I have mine charging by way of my AS rooftop solar. I don't fiddle with any portable chargers or MPPT upgrades. It charges via the 12V Yeti car charger adapter that's plugged into the house 12V bus at a selectable 5 or 10 amps. I went one step further and set it up to draw from the load port of my house solar charger only because it allows a nice readout on my solar charger display. This is not really necessary but a nice feature for my setup as I can see and turn off/on the yeti charging independently if I wanted to.

Here it shows my house lead acid batts charging at 9.1 amps and GZ charging at 5.5 amps on a shady day.

Name:	AScharge.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	342484
Old 06-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Right, I suspected the controller charger may be too much a draw (I have the original with my trailer). So I try to top off the batteries while charging the Yeti from the Yamaha generator. I use the BatteryMinder for that. I agree no sense transferring from one battery to another. Other loads were probably the fantastic fans (yes I know they are 12V, but they drain the house batteries) and even the fridge. Remember, I am simulating shore power. So short of turning all that off, it's hard to get a full 15 Amps to the Convection microwave. I have run the percolator and measured 900 or so watts...

Is there a way to turn the converter off? I am thinking store mode has no effect when plugged into shore power.

My plan going forward is to place a least one fully charged Yeti in the trailer at all times and plug anything I can, including 12V accessories, directly into it. Toying with getting a portable AC, one that draws less than ten amps, for use at night. Lots of them out there, some with single and some with dual hoses (intake and output), that could be adapted to my trailer. Really wish my 23ft Serenity had the little bathroom exhaust fan that my 23ft Safari has. I'd tie right into that. I expect such an AC would suck the power out of a Yeti 3000 in a few hours, but it's a start! Lots of buzz around 12V ACs for the B vans these days, but I love my ducted AC and not messing with that. Besides, I really like off the shelf stuff that I can use anywhere, esp in my house during outages... the portable AC fits the bill.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Is there a way to turn the converter off? I am thinking store mode has no effect when plugged into shore power.
Since I've installed solar awhile ago, I've not really had a need for my converter charger. I put a manual switch on mine to turn it off independently. I'll see if I can't grab a pic later. On most airstreams, the converter is tied into a 120V circuit breaker. There should be a sticker on your power center that identifies where it's installed and what breaker to flip off.

You're doing something more difficult than what I'm proposing in this thread and perhaps warrants its own thread.

I'm not powering any 12V house loads with my Goal Zero. My house batteries have always done a great job with those. I'm strictly powering my 120V luxuries - microwave, electric coffee maker, dryer, TV, etc. In that way, I can use each battery bank independently: 1) House battery for all 12V house loads 2) GZ for all 120V accessory loads. This avoids complicating things.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Anyone thought of doing something like PTeck has done here on a 50Amp trailer?
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote