Old 02-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Adding an outlet

The new water heater has an electric heating element that will require new wiring. So, how does one go about this? Does it need its own circuit or should I tap into an existing line? I have no clue where electricity is involved .

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
What is the max amp draw for the WH? In our '73, the main breaker panel is directly above the WH. It would be pretty simple to add a breaker in the panel with a piece of Romex that runs to a dedicated socket for the WH. Where is your breaker panel?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
What is the max amp draw for the WH? In our '73, the main breaker panel is directly above the WH. It would be pretty simple to add a breaker in the panel with a piece of Romex that runs to a dedicated socket for the WH. Where is your breaker panel?

Jim
About 2 feet away from the water heater. Not sure what is inside the breaker panel in terms of expansion space. Is it a huge deal to put in a new panel if needed?

and the
My Blog

Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Is it a huge deal to put in a new panel if needed?
No. Just remember, black is hot, white is not, and green grass grows on the ground.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Not really, it just costs $$$. The panel in ours actually had one open space not used by the factory. I used that open spot to plug in a 15 amp breaker that runs directly to the microwave oven. It will only power the microwave.

Any circuit that powers only one device on a single outlet is called a "dedicated" circuit. May be the best idea for you here.

In our camper, one circuit breaker powers all of the wall sockets. A second (dedicated circuit) breaker powers just the air conditioner unit. Depending on the draw of the water heater, it might be a good idea to put it on a dedicated circuit.

Am I making sense?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Any circuit that powers only one device on a single outlet is called a "dedicated" circuit. May be the best idea for you here.........

Am I making sense?

Jim
You are, I was thinking along those lines without knowing the terms. I was also thinking it might be smart to do the same for the AC (maybe putting another outlet on the circuit to run an electric heater). I would think that doing this would mean putting in a larger box, although I dont know that.

and the
My Blog

Old 02-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
How many breakers are in your panel? Originally, ours had 2 breakers. One for the air conditioner and one for everything else. Yours may already be arranged something like this.

I rearranged everything in the panel, so it's not a 25 words or less explanation of how it's all arranged now.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
How many breakers are in your panel?

Jim
I want to say two. But I haven't looked in there in a while.

and the
My Blog

Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney, does your breaker panel have a main breaker? If so, it is probably 30 amps. It is not a good idea to run an A/C and a microwave at the same time and the same is probably true of an electric water heater and any other appliance that draws a lot. Add the amps together of the various big guys and see what it adds up to. You don't want to trip your main breaker or the CG's.

You can, however, put in a separate, small breaker box with a 20 amp breaker for the water heater only, run a weatherproof extension cord to the 20 amp receptacle commonly found with the 30 amp receptacle at CG's. You'll have to install a separate external weatherproof receptacle on the trailer. This way you can leave the water heater on and use the A/C, or make toast, zap things, run an electric heater or crank up a subwoofer all the way. So, the heating element doesn't really cost only $35.

Gene
Old 02-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Maybe its a better idea to not run the water heater on electric when the AC is going.........

and the
My Blog

Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Maybe its a better idea to not run the water heater on electric when the AC is going.........
Probably not since the water heater is a resistance unit, but check the amps on each, then do some wiring with a work around.

Of course, you may not get out of Tenn. until August at this rate.

Gene
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
brkr types

check with an electrical supply house-your circuit breaker panel will use a particular type of breaker-oftentimes there are dual single pole breakers ("thin breaker") that will fit into the same space as one original single pole ("thicker breaker"). Assuming, of course you wish to power this wh out of your main panel. If you do change out panels, may I suggest a 50 amp capacity panel, in the event you wish to add even more electrical stuff in the future? You do not have to up-size everything at once (shore line and connectors) but it may be easier to do it once.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
I'm not sure I want to know.....

Here is what I have. I am going to assume, based on the nature of the POs other "refinements" that this is a disaster waiting to happen. The Atwood water heater is listed as 1400 watts (is that 11.6 amps?), the carrier low profile is listed at 14 amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker box.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	96231  

and the
My Blog

Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I have a 1976. The factory breaker box would be considered a sub-panel in a house application but it has its own 30 amp main breaker. I can operate a 750 amp microwave, water heater, and A/C without any problems. I took one of the 20 amp breakers to Lowes and matched it with a set of slim breakers. I now have 4 seperate 20 amp breakers in my panel along with the 30 amp main and a 15 amp GFI (kitchen). I ran a seperate service line to the wather heater. I used flex conduit with 12/2 w/ground for the two extra lines. The new breakers and wiring cost less than $100. It all works well together. 5 breakers are enough to power every area of a 29' AS. The only thing to consider are the amps a space heater requires (if you plan on using them) before buying one. The 50 amp service is generally used if you want 2 ACs. Do the math to determine if you need 50 amps. Do not install 50 amp service panel without first upgrading your shore line, ground wire, and connectors.