Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
1972 21' LY Globetrotter

1972 21' Globetrotter
Pico Rivera , California
Smile Adding a exterior 2nd battery-72 GT

Hello All,
I have a 1972 Airstream globtrotter with a single battery in a single lower outside compartment just behind the wheel. I do a little dry camping and sometime want to add a second battery.

I have read that when you want to permanately use dual 12volt batteries. You hook up pos of Bat. #1 to pos. battery #2 then to trailer. Then Neg. #2 to Neg. #1 then to trailer. with all cables equal lenth.

My challange/problem is I cannot hook them up permanantly, I do not have the room inside the compartment. So when I want to have the second battery, my thought is placing it outside on the ground while I am camping. And hooking it up just like jumper cables. Pos #2 to pos #1 then to tralier. Neg. #2 to neg #1 then to trailer.

Just like jump starting a car.
Does anyone see a problem with this type of connection?

Sincerely
Manook
manook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have the same problem. So I made up a cable that has a receptacle (female) like that on the TV and wired it up to the extra battery. Now I just plug the trailer into the receptacle that is connected to the extra battery. My TV is a pickup truck. When I want to charge the extra battery while not hitched to the trailer, I put the battery in the bed of the truck and plug it in to the same receptacle that the trailer plugs into with the use of another cable that has a plug (male) on each end. The battery gets charged when I'm driving the truck.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
2nd battery

I added a second battery under one of my couches. I use Delco AGM batteries and changed from a single group 27 to two group 24's. The "interior battery is in a box that I did fashion a soft gasket for and i also put a small vent hose into the exterior. A couple holes and some more battery cable---no problem.

Use high end AGM batteries, they minimize the potential of gassing.

I tested putting a second group 27 into the interior a couple months ago (tough getting by the gaucho frame). Since the "install will fit I will probably go over to two group 27 batteries in a couple of years.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote