Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
AC Power Out in Rear of Trailer

I'm plugged into city power at a State Park when suddenly the AC powered items in the rear of my trailer lost power. As far as I can tell, the fridge, TV, and outlets in the galley and dining area are on the same circuit. I had the TV on, a lamp plugged in, a phone charging and a small ceramic space heater plugged in as well. The only difference from other nights was the added phone charging. I check the breakers and turned all off then back on. I turned the power off at the pedestal and then back on…neither of those worked to get the power back. Note the AC in the front of the trailer is working and the DC lights etc. all work. Any ideas as to what this could be? I'm in a 27FB…there are two 30amp fuses as well as nine 15 amp fuses. Could this be a fuse issue? I don't have a correct size 30amp fuse to check but might be able to get one tomorrow. Note I'm new to Airstreaming and have just started full-timing this week…also, I'm not very familiar with electrical systems so very low on the learning curve. Any ideas/opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks, John

Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado

Check the outlet in the bathroom. The owner's manual I have says this outlet is a GFI outlet. It should have "test" and "reset" buttons on it. Hit the reset button.

Your rear outlets are "downstream" from this one, so if the GFI trips, the others will go out.

If the GFI is the problem, then the question is, what caused the GFI to trip off? You could have an intermittent short, or water could be getting in to something. Is it raining? Is anything plugged into the outdoor outlet? Is that outlet cover closed tightly?

Good luck.

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California

Thanks for that…the reset did the trick…power is back on…

No, it's not raining here…I'm in Arizona at the moment…the trailer hasn't seen rain since I picked it up in mid-November. And no, there's nothing plugged into the outdoor outlet.

Could there be something else or a check I could do?

I'll be taking it to a dealer to have the inverter looked at (it's not working) so I will ask them the same.

Thanks though…I'm up and running for the moment…which quite honestly, I didn't expect on a Friday night in the middle of now where…really appreciate your help!

Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
GFCI's are sometimes a bit fussy and go out for seemingly no reason. If it happens often, you may have a problem. If it happens only occasionally, you may just be unlucky. At least you now know how to fix it if it happens again.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
The heater drew too much power, run it on low. If it is a 20 amp breaker, the heater and everything else could have overloaded it. Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Maybe nothing is wrong. It could be as simple as somebody (cleaning, working around the GFI plug, etc.), without realizing they did it, pressed the test button.
'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB International
Fairchild AFB , Washington
Thank you so much for this. It's 13* in Wichita right now and I just back from 9 days with my wife and kids in Texas to find no power in the arse end of Nia. I have spent the last 30 minutes looking for that reset switch but didn't think the bathroom. I now have power again.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

mbnroberts is offline   Reply With Quote