Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
AC on Generator

I know that you have to have a rather large generator to run your AC but help me with this. I am looking to upgrade my AC as the PO ran it under questionable conditions and it simply does not work well enough for me at this point.

I just looked at the specs for the Penquin 15k BTU and found this information. Loaded compressor draw of 12.4 amps and loaded fan draw of 3.5 amps. My Honda has a max 2000 watt and 16.7 amp output.

The max the AC would draw is 15.9 so why couldn't I run this with 16.7 amps, knowing that everything else would need to be turned off? I am thinking of emergency situations. Thanks
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Simply because startup amperage can be as much as double the amperage of running amperage(so they say...I find it is really somewhere around 50% more in modern compressors) and to starve the compressor of this available startup amperage can and probably will eventually cause compressor failure.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I know that you have to have a rather large generator to run your AC but help me with this. I am looking to upgrade my AC as the PO ran it under questionable conditions and it simply does not work well enough for me at this point.

I just looked at the specs for the Penquin 15k BTU and found this information. Loaded compressor draw of 12.4 amps and loaded fan draw of 3.5 amps. My Honda has a max 2000 watt and 16.7 amp output.

The max the AC would draw is 15.9 so why couldn't I run this with 16.7 amps, knowing that everything else would need to be turned off? I am thinking of emergency situations. Thanks
What is the starting draw on the AC unit you are looking at? Typically it will be double the running amps. According to what you have provided you are looking at a max running amps of 15.9 amps which means the starting amps could peak in the 30 amp range well above what your Honda is capable of producing. Also IIRC that Honda rating is peak, not sustained running, and you are not allowing for any additional load from the trailer; converter, lights, hair dryers, microwaves, fridge, etc.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Generator that I have is a champion 4000W 3500 running Watt and it works great with my 15000BTU Air conditioner. This is my second generator because my last one the magneto cracked. It was driven hard for four years.

I borrowed a 7000 Watt generator from a person after my first one broke and it would not run my air conditioner. It would throw the breaker every time. I guess what I am trying to say is do your research and see what works best for you. I like the champion because it is inexpensive quite and does the job. $ 260 When on sale which I figure I could by several generators. I got four years out of the last one and we boon dock about 95% of the time and we run it constantly. I have to run it every night because I have a CPAP machine to breath. I also like to run the air at night to sleep.

Lothlorian

Brian
Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Thanks

When looking at the Penguin, it says "loaded compressor" draws 12.4 amps. I was assuming this was the max at start up. Thanks wahoonc for reminding my about the requirements at start up. I won't be taking chances with the new unit.

I am happy with the 2000i and doubt I will be replacing it any time soon.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I am happy with the 2000i and doubt I will be replacing it any time soon.
You could get a second one and the cables to parallel them. It's a pretty common setup here.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
The conditioner has a capacitor that loads up before it tries to startup the compressor, so watching a meter at startup will not give you a complete picture of electrical startup requirements.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Your Honda 2000i only puts out 1600 watts or about 13 amps max sustained load (for more then a few seconds).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote