Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

AC electrical problem

Neither of the 120V AC outlets in the bedroom of my AS have power. A PO ran some romex from the breaker box to an add on, surface mount electrical outlet that he mounted on the wall on the street side of the bedroom. A really hokey and kinda scarry arrangement. I plan to remove this addition and hope to restore power to the original outlets. I have checked the original outlets for shorts to ground by putting one lead of my VOM into each of the outlet openings and touching the other lead to the body of the AS at a place where the aluminum is bare. I found that all three wires show zero resistance to the body of the trailer. I have not located the other ends of these wires yet to see if they might all be twisted together. I assume they will be somewhere in the vicinity of the back side of the breaker box. Has anyone else encountered a similar situation? If so were you able to correct it? How did you do it?
lbf78SvgnInt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I would open up the panel box and see if the dead wall plugs power feed is laying in there disconnected. If it is most likely it was disconnected for a reason, possibly a short? Pull all the dead plugs apart and look for skinned or touching wires, bad outlets, etc. I would get a little brave and try hooking it back up and see what happens. Be careful, if it doesn't throw the breaker don't chant victory, you want to make sure your trailer has a good ground in order for the breaker to trip or else if you touch your trailer and the ground you may become the ground, deadly stuff!!

You may want to consult a good electrician, people get killed by stuff like this.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:44 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ditto what chas sez

take your vom and check if it is shorted between hot neutral and ground.

if it reads ok and you can find the wires give it a try and see what happens.

pulling the outlets out and taking a look is a good idea.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote