Old 01-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
12V fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
The trailer has 2 6V batteries and a nice monitoring system, after all the endless calculating and worrying about usability it turned out to be a non concern. The batteries get a charge whilst driving and or from my Honda EU3000 or shore power; I don't have any solar yet. I have not even come close to using 25% of the battery bank yet as my trailer is pretty efficient, even after several days boon docking. Next I'm adding LED flat panel lights which I haven't seen anyone else use on here yet so that will help too. On the Sovereign (33') I'm doing next I'll install a larger variant much like you are discussing no question. As an added bonus the Isotherm is a beautiful piece of kit unlike the RV appliances I checked out.
I am close to getting a 4.2 cu foot Truckfridge. I currently have only 1 12V battery (100 AH) and 200W of solar panels on the roof. I'd rather not add a bunch more of either and typically camp in the southwest with good sun. All my lights are LED and I don't have an inverter since we don't use any 110V appliances while camping. Do you think I'd be all right for boondocking or should I go for the dual golf cart battery and/or more solar power?
Thanks

Old 01-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #30
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzog View Post
I am close to getting a 4.2 cu foot Truckfridge. I currently have only 1 12V battery (100 AH) and 200W of solar panels on the roof. I'd rather not add a bunch more of either and typically camp in the southwest with good sun. All my lights are LED and I don't have an inverter since we don't use any 110V appliances while camping. Do you think I'd be all right for boondocking or should I go for the dual golf cart battery and/or more solar power?
Thanks
100ah is only half of that since you can't deplete the battery all the way. So you have 50Ah. I personally would look into adding a second battery. You don't need a lot of power right now from your statement, but a second battery will keep your system always in the green.

A Danfoss is on my spring time upgrades list too. Cheers.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
100ah is only half of that since you can't deplete the battery all the way. So you have 50Ah. I personally would look into adding a second battery. You don't need a lot of power right now from your statement, but a second battery will keep your system always in the green.

A Danfoss is on my spring time upgrades list too. Cheers.
Thanks. I went ahead and bought the Truckfridge unit. I'm going to install it with extra insulation around the sides and ventilation in the back. I'm going to do some experiments to see how much power it actually draws and then make a decision about the extra battery. My goal is to be able to go three days without sun so I think you may be right about another battery. Have fun with your project.