Old 01-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #15
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Uwe and Buttercup,

I was wondering if your coaches friges have electric ignitions addding to the drain
Not mine.

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've seen four 6 volt batteries recommended as noted above but that is for someone who has the space for that many batteries. It makes for one heck of a battery bank. Airstreams just aren't set up for that in most configurations. I had two 12 volt Delco Voyager batteries, one on each side of my '77 Excella next to the tongue and each were rated at 105 amp hr. I never was at a loss for battery power. My '86 Sovereign only has one Duralast deep cycle rated at 115 amp hr in a compartment next to the curb side by the tongue. So far I haven't had any battery problems while using a 30 watt solar panel and plan on buying two 100 watt panels next year. I've thought about having the Airstream factory add another compartment on the other side but I hear it cost around $500. Not sure I will do that.

I know that Andy from Inland RV is not big on the two 6 volt combinations. He posted on the forum years ago that it is easier to pick up a new 12 volt deep cycle battery than a 6 volt deep cycle much less two. I'd say he has a point.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I have a 16' Bambi which only provides a single 12 V battery. I considered adding a second battery (either another 12 V, or the 2 T105 6V). You can get a battery box designed for 2 batteries - either Group 24 (like the 12 V that came with the trailer), or for two golf cart batteries. They would be mounted on the A frame, right in front of the cover for the propane cylinders, with some minor modifications to add a platform across the top of the A frame to mount the dual-battery box.

I use my trailer about 50/50 in campgrounds that have hook-ups, or National Forest Service camps that do not. Since the Bambi doesn't have a lot of reserve for extra weight, I decided on an alternate approach. I bought a second Group 24 12 V and a single battery box, and I carry it along in the back of the tow vehicle only on trips where I'm going to a camp without hook ups. I modified a battery jumper cable with terminals to screw onto the aux battery posts with the wing nuts, and after I've parked the trailer I just set the 2nd battery under the A frame, and hook both batteries together with the cable.

So, I have a little extra work, but in return I have some added flexibility. I only take the 2nd battery along when it's needed (if a get a chance at a whole week in the summer , or in the fall I'll take the extra along so I can run the forced air furnace and not have to worry too much about 'running out' on a cold night.

We already had a Honda EU generator for the house, to use when we get a power outage and need to run the furnace in the house. I bought a good plug-in battery charger that let's me 'quickly' recharge the trailer batteries when needed by running it directly from the Honda EU. When camping in cold weather I take the generator and the charger along, also in the back of the tow vehicle.

If I'm mostly camping at places with hook-ups, where I only need a single battery, I rotate them out from month to month to keep them in comparable condition. When not in use, I keep the batteries on a battery tender.

I also added a Trace TM500 battery monitor in the trailer so I can monitor the condition of the battery(ies), and know when to recharge. This setup has worked very well for our dual-style camping.

If I had a bigger trailer with lots of reserve weight capacity, I would probably have gone with the permanent mounting of 2 batteries to avoid the 'battery shuffle'.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Try looking into a Concord sun extender sealed glass mat battery. I use one which fits perfectly under the sofa and is 12 volt at 305 amp hours. Weight is 165 pounds.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #19
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
AGM battery options

We have studied this off and on for six months and were ready to pull the trigger on two T-120 Trojans on the tongue of our 2005 International CCD22. But it had to look nice and sort of original, so I would buy a gas bottle cover like goes on the new CCD22's (used for $200-300) and pay to go get it or have it shipped (another $50 or so, depending on where I find one), and another $50 for relocating my gas bottles forward (they weigh less) and putting the batteries under the front window on the tongue and on and on. It was going to run me over $400.00 by the time I did all this and bought the batteries for about $150.00 for the pair. Soooo, read nice article by PhredSez from 2005 about AGMs. Really pricey but, Wait! Don't have to do ANYTHING but create a pair of mounting rails to restrain the battery (one 305 ah AGM) under the bed, with a pair of j-bolts. No venting, no more distance to terminal block. Space isn't used anyway (storage bins already don't touch this space). I break even or save money, and have much much better battery life and almost zero maintenance.
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:05 PM   #20
1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Sun Extender

Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
Try looking into a Concord sun extender sealed glass mat battery. I use one which fits perfectly under the sofa and is 12 volt at 305 amp hours. Weight is 165 pounds.
Tried looking here

but didn't see anything called a "Sun Extender" or even anything rated above 255 amp hours.

Where did you buy yours?

Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #21
1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Originally Posted by T Man
Tried looking here

but didn't see anything called a "Sun Extender" or even anything rated above 255 amp hours.

Where did you buy yours?

Tinsel Loaf,

I may have found it here

Is yours the PVX-2580L ?

I could likley fit this under the curbside twin bed as was suggested earlier in this thread.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here's my battery solution.

I created a compartment in one of my streetside closets. I used 2 Trojan Size 27 batteries since the battery boxes were too small for the Trojan T105s. Both boxes are connected and vented to the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Compartment 1 (1024 x 768).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	18715  

1958 Overlander
2011 Wolf Creek 850N TC
2011 Ford F-250 Crewcab (6.2L), 3.73RE

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog: