Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Laurens , South Carolina
A/S Amuck

Okay, we took our maiden voyage this past weekend and our '79 A/S Safari flipped out. We have had everything hooked up at the house and has been working fine for about 2 months. We left, went to the mountains and when we got there the water pump would not come one. It was as if the control panel switch was not working nor the switch in the bathroom. In order to have water we straight wired the water pump from the battery. All the fuses are fine and we have power to the control panel but no power to the pump or the exhaust fan over the stove. However the exhaust fan has begun to work again. Now we have also developed an intermediate clicking with the converter/charger. The compressor on the air conditioner has also quite working, fan works fine but compressor does not even try to click on. (may be a thermostat problem?) What could be the problem and where should we start looking.

Despite all the problems we had a great time with our new A/S.
Ttuck118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Glad you had a good time despite the problems.

It sounds like you may have had 2 (or more) issues. The water pump and the exhaust fan both not working would make me think that the 12 volt circuit that feeds these items was not working. A loose fuse or a corroded fuse on the 12 volt distribution panel would be my first guess. When the fan started to work, did you try the water pump with the normal wires?

The clicking converter and failing Compressor might be related to the shore power at the campground. Did you measure the voltage and/or check the polarity?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I can walk into my trailer blindfolded . . . reach out and touch something and it won't be working and I can start ordering parts on my credit card.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Ttuck118 In view of your many, seemingly unconnected 'occurrences', I think it's time to contact Ghost Busters - I think your AS has become the temporary habitat of Mr. Murphy and his many 'laws' that are difficult, at best to overcome....

In reality, electrical problems are a real bit** to run down - break out your multi-meter and trace the path of each circuit till you find Mr. Murphy lurking nearby, where you can squash him like a bug!

Ray
Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Laurens , South Carolina
Well we found out the problem with the water pump and control panel. The new fuse we put in must have been weak because it blew it too. We replaced it with what we know is a good one and it is working fine now. However, my husband did find a couple of hot wires that were spliced in for a cb radio I guess. We disconnected them so we wouldn't have to worry about that shorting out.

However, the converter is still clicking when plugged up to 110 (is that normal) it is still charging and everything seems to be working fine.

The air conditioner is still not working and we know that it is not the thermostat b/c we have replaced it, so we are taking it to a service center today and going to let them look at the ac.
Ttuck118 is offline   Reply With Quote