Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Denville , New Jersey
A/C Compressor

The A/C compressor in my 2006 safari turns on for a few seconds and the shuts off...any ideas?????
palski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Is your thermostat on the unit or the wall? Mine was on the unit and apparently the contacts were corroded. After it started up, anyh little vibration would cause it to shut off. After a few seonds it would try to start up again, but the internal breaker would trip. IT would reset and trip a couple times and then start up and run for a while. I replaced the thermostat and that fixed it.

If your thermostat is on the wall, there is a modular telephone cable that runs from the unit to the thermostat. The connections, particularly in the unit, get corroded and become unreliable. Clean both sides of the connector with contact cleaner and a Q-tip.

If one of these doesn't fix it, I don't have a clue.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Denville , New Jersey
Smile A/C Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Is your thermostat on the unit or the wall? Mine was on the unit and apparently the contacts were corroded. After it started up, anyh little vibration would cause it to shut off. After a few seonds it would try to start up again, but the internal breaker would trip. IT would reset and trip a couple times and then start up and run for a while. I replaced the thermostat and that fixed it.

If your thermostat is on the wall, there is a modular telephone cable that runs from the unit to the thermostat. The connections, particularly in the unit, get corroded and become unreliable. Clean both sides of the connector with contact cleaner and a Q-tip.

If one of these doesn't fix it, I don't have a clue.

Al
I'll go with the thermostat in the unit...Thanks
palski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have had similar problems to those described by Al - both on the circuit board of the thermostat (whitish corrosion cleaned with alcohol and q-tips) and also with the pesky telephone type connectors both at the circuit board and under the interior AC grille.

They can do screwy things with the AC!

I just fiddle with them plugging /unplugging+ contact cleaner and (so far) eventually, it all works - until next time! It is truly a pain. Not sure these connectors are best suited for this application! There are similar phone type connections up to onto the AC control board -I have not cleaned those yet but probably I should as they are likely in a worse environment.

Incidentally, those cables look like standard telephone cables, but they are not - the actual connectors are the same, but at one end of the cable, , the connector needs to be reversed.

Lewster on this forum put me wise to this and it is confirmed in the Dometic manual. Just in case you decide to change a cable!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote