Old 05-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
A B Electrical Switch

In the cabinet by the BluRay player, I have a shore outlet and inverter outlet side by side. I have to move my DirecTV plug from one or the other depending if I am using shore or inverter power. Is there an A B Switch to make this process without having to unplug the outlet?

Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
I saw this unit installed in a 2016 Classic last month and went home and ordered one on Amazon. The AF member spoke very positive about this switch and it gets good reviews. I am going to plug my Directtv receiver, blue ray player, Apple TV and maybe one other devise into this and be able to easily switch without pooping out the unit and switching hdmi cables. I'll also be able to watch different input in the bedroom if I want to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1463544384.313352.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	262705

Life is good!
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #3
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcgar View Post
I saw this unit installed in a 2016 Classic last month and went home and ordered one on Amazon. The AF member spoke very positive about this switch and it gets good reviews. I am going to plug my Directtv receiver, blue ray player, Apple TV and maybe one other devise into this and be able to easily switch without pooping out the unit and switching hdmi cables. I'll also be able to watch different input in the bedroom if I want to.

Attachment 262705

Life is good!
Allan

Thanks for trying to help, but if you read what I wrote, I was referring to the power.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Simple solution is a power strip. With additional outlet plug in's

Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
In the cabinet by the BluRay player, I have a shore outlet and inverter outlet side by side. I have to move my DirecTV plug from one or the other depending if I am using shore or inverter power. Is there an A B Switch to make this process without having to unplug the outlet?

To actually answer your question. There is no A/B switch.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Is there an A B Switch to make this process without having to unplug the outlet?
No.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
To the OP.
If you do NOT use the proper hardware you can create a VERY DANGEROUS and LIFE THREATENING situation.
A device used for similar situations is referred to as a transfer switch. Even these devices must be wired correctly to prevent back feeding.
Back feeding into the power grid could kill a utility worker who thinks he has shut down the power. The inverter in reality is no different than a generator. One would never consider plugging a generator into a a device already powered or hard wired to the grid.
You are in effect hard wired to the grid with your shore power cable. Even if the cable is unplugged a mis wired system could create a situation whereby the male end of the shore power cable is hot along with every other 120 volt AC device in the coach.
YOU MUST HAVE A THOROUGH UNDERSTANDING OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A B Electrical Switch

It could be done safely with a double pole double throw switch, an outlet, a junction box to house the switch and outlet, and two male plugs to plug into each trailer outlet.

You can find a DPDT switch for much less than this if you search, especially if you opt for a 15 amp switch.

Hubbell HBL1386I Toggle, Double Pole Double Throw, Center Off, 20 amp, 120/277V, Ivory https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006L72SUQ..._YzjpxbYCYB5NF

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:21 AM   #9
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I found this rotary transfer switch on Amazon and wired it to switch my CPAP machine from shore power to an inverter. It is basically 6 single pole switches in 3 rows with 3 position. Left = 3 left switches on, right off; Center = everything off, Right = three right switches on, left off. No cross connection.

I jumpered the top leg of each gang together which is the leg the CPAP wires to and created a 3 gang center off SPST switch. L= shore power, C = off, R = inverter. Works great and was only $7.21 with free Prime delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Positions-Chan...=sr_1_7&sr=8-7
Old 05-27-2016, 01:29 AM   #10
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I probably should have said a double throw switch for 3 circuits instead of SPST.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
I found this rotary transfer switch on Amazon and wired it to switch my CPAP machine from shore power to an inverter. It is basically 6 single pole switches in 3 rows with 3 position. Left = 3 left switches on, right off; Center = everything off, Right = three right switches on, left off. No cross connection.

I jumpered the top leg of each gang together which is the leg the CPAP wires to and created a 3 gang center off SPST switch. L= shore power, C = off, R = inverter. Works great and was only $7.21 with free Prime delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Positions-Chan...=sr_1_7&sr=8-7
Would you show me your setup? It would seem I need a third duplex where the switch would power up. I want to see how you successfully did yours and duplicate it on mine. Thanks a bunch.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:23 AM   #12
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
rotary switch wiring

Quote:
Would you show me your setup? It would seem I need a third duplex where the switch would power up. I want to see how you successfully did yours and duplicate it on mine. Thanks a bunch.
I put mine in a wall box which I would prefer not to open back up so I drew the attached diagram. A top view showing the jumpers and outgoing wiring, a bottom view showing the 2 hot legs coming in and an isometric. This should show you how to wire it. You should not need a separate switch to power it up, the center position is off and either side is on. I did wire a separate on/off switch to turn on the inverter.

My airstream has 15A circuits so the wire I used was from a heavy duty grounded extension cord with #14 stranded wire, white (hot), black (ground) and green (neutral) and I put open end lugs (blue) crimped on the ends which fit into the switch connections well.

You may have to save the image and zoom in. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120V  Rotary Switch Wiring.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	263411  
Old 05-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #13
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
rotary switch wiring

I drew the white wire grey and it shows on the original jpg. but does not show on the posted image. It would be wired on it's switch the same as the other two wires.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:45 AM   #14
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
I put mine in a wall box which I would prefer not to open back up so I drew the attached diagram. A top view showing the jumpers and outgoing wiring, a bottom view showing the 2 hot legs coming in and an isometric. This should show you how to wire it. You should not need a separate switch to power it up, the center position is off and either side is on. I did wire a separate on/off switch to turn on the inverter.

My airstream has 15A circuits so the wire I used was from a heavy duty grounded extension cord with #14 stranded wire, white (hot), black (ground) and green (neutral) and I put open end lugs (blue) crimped on the ends which fit into the switch connections well.

You may have to save the image and zoom in. I hope this helps.
This awesome!!! Don't open the box, if you can show me what it looks like and where. I'm looking at how to possibly do it on mine, but want to make sure how someone else did it. thanks!!