Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
93 degrees & Airstream not getting shore power.

My wife plugged in a new waffle iron (and microwave and ac) and POOF went the power. It's 93 degrees outside we need power.

The breaker on the site pole is working.

The light on my shore power cord indicates power is coming from the grid to the trailer.

I am unaware of any GFCI breakers being tripped.

The breakers inside are all on (including two extras installed with AM Solar system).

The fuses are are all in tact.

Everything will work through my inverter via DC.

Unfortunately, I can't blow cold air using my DC and need shore power ASAP.

Any ideas on what is preventing my trailer from getting shore power?
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I would double check the breakers inside by switching them off and then back on.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS
I would double check the breakers inside by switching them off and then back on.
Thanks ... I keep hoping i am missing the obvious. I've now flipped every breaker inside and out a few times now. Feeling perplexed. I'm wondering if the "transfer box" is bad ... the thing that keeps the inverter from back feeding the shore power. Unfortunately, I'm no electrician and don't have tools handy to check wires.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
yep I would do that too - and unplug the two appliances.

My breaker which has the reset switch on it - used to trip and you could not tell with out flipping back and forth.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Check the two 40 amp automotive style fuses in your converter panel. They will be orange-ish in color, and it may be possible they have blown.
If that is not the problem, you will need a little electrical expertise to keep from getting electrocuted. Remove the converter assembly and check to make sure you are getting 120 volts to it. The converter is also the breaker panel for 120 volt stuff. Use a volt meter to check to make sure you have power from the shore feed to the converter. If you do, then check the connections on the converter/breaker panel. If not, remove the power plug from the side of the trailer, and check to make sure one of the wires on the back side of it hasn't burned off or come loose and fallen off.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Sorry, I can not be of more help. I know I have already blown the main plug. Does the end of the plug look damaged? burned? Is it possible to unplug the inverter.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Sorry, I can not be of more help. I know I have already blown the main plug. Does the end of the plug look damaged? burned? Is it possible to unplug the inverter.
He really can't "unplug" the converter, but he can carefully remove it from where it is installed, and check it for voltages.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
yep I would do that too - and unplug the two appliances.

My breaker which has the reset switch on it - used to trip and you could not tell with out flipping back and forth.
Ok, all appliances are off and unplugged. Everything I can turn off is off. I turned off all breakers, let them rest a few minutes, and back on ... no luck.

It appears that somewhere between shore power and the inverter, I'm getting cutoff. Maybe I now have a bad breaker or relay.

Here's a picture of my setup ... I think my issue might be in the black box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-75388889.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	162540   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1087400702.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	162541  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-822388064.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	162542  
Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Check the two 40 amp automotive style fuses in your converter panel. They will be orange-ish in color, and it may be possible they have blown.
If that is not the problem, you will need a little electrical expertise to keep from getting electrocuted. Remove the converter assembly and check to make sure you are getting 120 volts to it. The converter is also the breaker panel for 120 volt stuff. Use a volt meter to check to make sure you have power from the shore feed to the converter. If you do, then check the connections on the converter/breaker panel. If not, remove the power plug from the side of the trailer, and check to make sure one of the wires on the back side of it hasn't burned off or come loose and fallen off.
My fuses appear good. I think my converter is on the out side of my inverter ... Everything is getting power when i turn on my inverter. Sounds like I may need to get some electrically inclined help over here for checking to see where/if shore power is coming to ... I might can check the plug. Thanks for the ideas ... whew it's hot.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS
Plug ends look good. I can power off the inverter (effectively bypassing it) but cannot unplug it or otherwise bypass it.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Unfortunately, there is no help available on this HOT holiday weekend in Orlando. Wondering if the "relay" in my Magnum 2012 inverter is bad ... I've had issues with it since the install.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
THere have been several reports of failed "ATS" switches. Especially in new trailers.
The ATS is a relay switch that transfers your load inside to either the shore power plug on the street side, or the gennie plug on the front. When the ATS blows, you might not be able to get any power until you replace it, or wire around it.

Schematic

Shore Power----->Power Inlet A or B ----->ATS--->Distribution box.
Try connecting the shore power to the front inlet.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy
THere have been several reports of failed "ATS" switches. Especially in new trailers.
The ATS is a relay switch that transfers your load inside to either the shore power plug on the street side, or the gennie plug on the front. When the ATS blows, you might not be able to get any power until you replace it, or wire around it.

Schematic

Shore Power----->Power Inlet A or B ----->ATS--->Distribution box.
Try connecting the shore power to the front inlet.
Mine is a 2004. I only have one plug (I don't have a gennie plug), I assume I don't have an bad ATS switch?? Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Mine is a 2004. I only have one plug (I don't have a gennie plug), I assume I don't have an bad ATS switch?? Thanks
I see. Let me review the posts again and see if I can think of anything else. Sorry to hear of your trouble! I hope someone with better knowledge responds. Also, I wonder if this should be in the "General Repairs" section to get more exposure?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Thanks ... I keep hoping i am missing the obvious. I've now flipped every breaker inside and out a few times now. Feeling perplexed. I'm wondering if the "transfer box" is bad ... the thing that keeps the inverter from back feeding the shore power. Unfortunately, I'm no electrician and don't have tools handy to check wires.
This is only a hunch since I am not familiar with your model of trailer. ONLY A HUNCH.

But, when I see "transfer box" I think that might be the same component I referred to as an "ATS". It has relays in it to switch the load from the inverter's output, to the shore power. That could easily be done with an "ATS" switch.

Any switch which is "automatic" in operation has relays inside. If the relay contacts burn up, you get no contact. These relays will almost always be sealed and non-serviceable.

If you carry your schematic, you might consider wiring around that switch. Use the shore power leads to connect right to the distribution box bypassing this "switch."

That is only a hunch. I am just trying to offer things for you to consider.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
I see. Let me review the posts again and see if I can think of anything else. Sorry to hear of your trouble! I hope someone with better knowledge responds. Also, I wonder if this should be in the "General Repairs" section to get more exposure?
Lewster gave me a call. I think we isolated the problem to the inverter. Lew walked me through how to bypass the inverter. Headed to get supplies ... My sweaty fingers are crossed. Thanks ... I'll post result!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:

This is only a hunch since I am not familiar with your model of trailer. ONLY A HUNCH.

But, when I see "transfer box" I think that might be the same component I referred to as an "ATS". It has relays in it to switch the load from the inverter's output, to the shore power. That could easily be done with an "ATS" switch.

Any switch which is "automatic" in operation has relays inside. If the relay contacts burn up, you get no contact. These relays will almost always be sealed and non-serviceable.

If you carry your schematic, you might consider wiring around that switch. Use the shore power leads to connect right to the distribution box bypassing this "switch."

That is only a hunch. I am just trying to offer things for you to consider.
Other experts agree with your hunch. We think the relay/board is bad in my Magnum inverter. I'm working on bypassing now.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Hang in there! Good luck to you sir. You are in the best possible hands with these guys like Lew helping. Wonderful!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I don't see a GFI on that panel - so there must be a GFI somewhere in the trailer. Mine is on my panel of 4 breakers. Although my AC 20 amp would blow it was my GFI that would turn off.

I also had a bad lead behind the inverter - that was not tight. The screw seems to work its way loose. So over time I was not getting "good" power and it was over heating my GFI - to the point that my GFI was bad. As soon as I replaced that everything is fine again. It will trip if the park has what is called brown outs - low voltage - designed to trip in that case as well. The breaker is NOT cheap either $80+

How is your power cord - that was another issue I had - moisture in the net plug and was not getting a good ground.

Sometimes with electrical it can be coincidence too. Through my issues I found several other unattended things like my PowerJack wiring was draining my shore power.

That white 12V ground cause poor charing of my house battery to boot.

And then sometimes it is just a plain mystery

Good luck hope you find your issue.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Was the inverter factory installed. I do not have one in mine. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote