Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Thanks ... I keep hoping i am missing the obvious. I've now flipped every breaker inside and out a few times now. Feeling perplexed. I'm wondering if the "transfer box" is bad ... the thing that keeps the inverter from back feeding the shore power. Unfortunately, I'm no electrician and don't have tools handy to check wires.
This is only a hunch since I am not familiar with your model of trailer. ONLY A HUNCH.

But, when I see "transfer box" I think that might be the same component I referred to as an "ATS". It has relays in it to switch the load from the inverter's output, to the shore power. That could easily be done with an "ATS" switch.

Any switch which is "automatic" in operation has relays inside. If the relay contacts burn up, you get no contact. These relays will almost always be sealed and non-serviceable.

If you carry your schematic, you might consider wiring around that switch. Use the shore power leads to connect right to the distribution box bypassing this "switch."

That is only a hunch. I am just trying to offer things for you to consider.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy
I see. Let me review the posts again and see if I can think of anything else. Sorry to hear of your trouble! I hope someone with better knowledge responds. Also, I wonder if this should be in the "General Repairs" section to get more exposure?
Lewster gave me a call. I think we isolated the problem to the inverter. Lew walked me through how to bypass the inverter. Headed to get supplies ... My sweaty fingers are crossed. Thanks ... I'll post result!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy

This is only a hunch since I am not familiar with your model of trailer. ONLY A HUNCH.

But, when I see "transfer box" I think that might be the same component I referred to as an "ATS". It has relays in it to switch the load from the inverter's output, to the shore power. That could easily be done with an "ATS" switch.

Any switch which is "automatic" in operation has relays inside. If the relay contacts burn up, you get no contact. These relays will almost always be sealed and non-serviceable.

If you carry your schematic, you might consider wiring around that switch. Use the shore power leads to connect right to the distribution box bypassing this "switch."

That is only a hunch. I am just trying to offer things for you to consider.
Other experts agree with your hunch. We think the relay/board is bad in my Magnum inverter. I'm working on bypassing now.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Hang in there! Good luck to you sir. You are in the best possible hands with these guys like Lew helping. Wonderful!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
I don't see a GFI on that panel - so there must be a GFI somewhere in the trailer. Mine is on my panel of 4 breakers. Although my AC 20 amp would blow it was my GFI that would turn off.

I also had a bad lead behind the inverter - that was not tight. The screw seems to work its way loose. So over time I was not getting "good" power and it was over heating my GFI - to the point that my GFI was bad. As soon as I replaced that everything is fine again. It will trip if the park has what is called brown outs - low voltage - designed to trip in that case as well. The breaker is NOT cheap either $80+

How is your power cord - that was another issue I had - moisture in the net plug and was not getting a good ground.

Sometimes with electrical it can be coincidence too. Through my issues I found several other unattended things like my PowerJack wiring was draining my shore power.

That white 12V ground cause poor charing of my house battery to boot.

And then sometimes it is just a plain mystery

Good luck hope you find your issue.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Was the inverter factory installed. I do not have one in mine. Jim
Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Was the inverter factory installed. I do not have one in mine. Jim
No, it was added when I added solar.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to hear Lew called since he knows your system better than anyone.

It was sounding to me like your main breaker had failed. Your OP seems to say your wife had the A/C, microwave and waffle iron all on at the same time. That would surely trip the main, 30 amp, breaker, if I am reading it right. If the breaker does not reset, it blew out inside. But I defer to Lew.

Gene
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Glad to hear Lew called since he knows your system better than anyone.

It was sounding to me like your main breaker had failed. Your OP seems to say your wife had the A/C, microwave and waffle iron all on at the same time. That would surely trip the main, 30 amp, breaker, if I am reading it right. If the breaker does not reset, it blew out inside. But I defer to Lew.

Gene
Everything works when I power on inverter. That wouldn't be the case if the main breaker failed ... would it???
Old 07-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Everything works when I power on inverter. That wouldn't be the case if the main breaker failed ... would it???
If the inverter is wired to bypass the converter main breaker, then everything would work. The inverter may have its own internal breaker to 120 v. and then the 120 v. from the inverter could go directly to the branch circuit breakers. That seems strange to me, but if the 120 v. supply from the inverter is attached to the buss bars after the main breaker, then that would mean the main breaker is bypassed. The buss bars are copper bars behind the breakers with one hot side and one common; breakers attach to the buss bars. If you have a multimeter (probably will have one soon) you can check each connection to see if it is hot.

I'm guessing (perhaps babbling); Lew knows all. There has to be some sort of switch to manage solar, shore power, inverter and converter. Each component may have a switch for these purposes and it sounds like the usual suspect is in the inverter.

Gene
Old 07-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:

If the inverter is wired to bypass the converter main breaker, then everything would work. The inverter may have its own internal breaker to 120 v. and then the 120 v. from the inverter could go directly to the branch circuit breakers. That seems strange to me, but if the 120 v. supply from the inverter is attached to the buss bars after the main breaker, then that would mean the main breaker is bypassed. The buss bars are copper bars behind the breakers with one hot side and one common; breakers attach to the buss bars. If you have a multimeter (probably will have one soon) you can check each connection to see if it is hot.

I'm guessing (perhaps babbling); Lew knows all. There has to be some sort of switch to manage solar, shore power, inverter and converter. Each component may have a switch for these purposes and it sounds like the usual suspect is in the inverter.

Gene
Haha, Gene ... you were right. Once I uninstalled the inverter a little button revealed itself on the lower side. Lew and I forgot about that little bugger! We now have air conditioning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1996861668.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	162601  
Old 07-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
How did the reset breaker on the inverter trip? Was your wife using too many things while operating on batteries and inverter? It sounded like you were on shore power, but maybe 120 v. shore power is routed though the inverter and it would trip the breaker there instead of the converter main breaker.

Next time I see Lew I'll remind him that despite his master's degree in EE, he's still young and inexperienced by 11 years compared to me.

Glad to hear you are being cooled again. The owner's manual says not to run the A/C and a microwave or other high amp appliance at the same time. We have a smaller microwave and it may not combine to 30 amps with the A/C. A waffle iron certainly would if the other two are on. Most of the time we turn off the A/C when we run the microwave, but sometimes forget. It has never tripped the breaker, however.

Gene
Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
How did the reset breaker on the inverter trip? Was your wife using too many things while operating on batteries and inverter? It sounded like you were on shore power, but maybe 120 v. shore power is routed though the inverter and it would trip the breaker there instead of the converter main breaker.

Next time I see Lew I'll remind him that despite his master's degree in EE, he's still young and inexperienced by 11 years compared to me.

Glad to hear you are being cooled again. The owner's manual says not to run the A/C and a microwave or other high amp appliance at the same time. We have a smaller microwave and it may not combine to 30 amps with the A/C. A waffle iron certainly would if the other two are on. Most of the time we turn off the A/C when we run the microwave, but sometimes forget. It has never tripped the breaker, however.

Gene
We know better than to run the air and another appliance, but somehow we simultaneously ran air, microwave, tv and a waffle iron this morning. Sooo, we experienced our mysterious power outage while on shore power. All the usual breakers and fuses remained in tact.

Yes, everything runs through my inverter. I isolated the issue to the inverter. I then completely uninstalled the inverter and bypassed it (with Lew's help over the phone) ... then noticed that cute little button was popped out. Called Lew, we laughed, then I put it all back together. The Silver Lining is that I now know how to make my air work if my inverter does decide to die. LOL ... Really enjoying the cool air now.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Great ending! Dog gone reset button!