Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

1975 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
'75 Sovereign electrical woes

Noob here. Just bought a '75 31' Sovereign in great shape from a guy in Missouri. He said everything was working electrically the last time he used it, but I can't get anything to power on at all.

Here's the deal:

The 230v cable coming out of the back bumper had been cut to add a different type plug to the end of it. The original cut piece was still there so I spliced it all back together nice and neat, and then used the 230v to 110v adapter that was there to plug into a 110v outlet on my generator.

I got nothing. I found the breakers under the back bed / seat, and they were both wired up and turned on. I turned them off / on a couple of times to get the dust out so to speak, and still nothing.

All fuses looked intact.

12v battery is missing, so there is nothing hooked up there.

where do I go from here?

any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome!

So that 220 volt plug had 4 lugs?

Interesting . . .

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hello and welcome to the forums.
First the shore power cable that you are calling 230V is not. It is a 110 V 30 AMP RV cable. The adapter you attached is a 30 AMP to 15 AMP adapter not 230V to 110 V adapter.
The first step I would take is to start at the beiginning and make sure your generator has power at the 110V receptacle, then check your splice and make sure it is good and you spliced the wires properly IE: white to white, black to black and green to green.
It's also possible that the original 30Amp male end of the shore power cable was damaged and that's why it was cut off.
The fuses you speak of are for the 12VDC side of things and do not have anything to do with the 110VAC shore power.

I would also suggest you seek professional help as from the way you describe things you don't have much experience with electicity which can be fatal if not handled properly.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #4

1975 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
so if the shore cable is 110v, yet it does not have a standard 110v plug, what do I plug it into to get power? I am working on this trailer at my cousin's farm, and he doesn't have any outlet receptacle that we can plug into, which is why we were using that adapter.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
The adapter is to go from 15a 110v A/C to 30a 110v A/C RV....nothing pulling over 15a should be turned on in the TT i.e. Air Conditioner... Unless you have a dedicated 30a receptacle with the proper shore power connection plug...
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use one?
Is there power from the generator outlet?
As I and mnmhays explained the adapter is to plug the 30 AMP 110VAC shore power cable into a standard 15 AMP 110VAC receptacle.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
with the trailer plugged into shore power, do any of the 110 vac outlets inside the trailer work? What exactly do you mean when you say get nothing?

Pics would be helpful.

Chris
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Greenville , Texas
Hello i have the same problame i had power one day and the next day i go outside and my trailer dead have parked in my back yard guttin it out replaceing the floor one day have a outside plug ran my 110/30 amp rv cord have power to the breaker but nothing coming out to my wall outlets or 12 volts lights bbut do have power to the box replaced the breakers bbut still no outlet currant,any one have any ideas
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I had an apartment that showed power to the outlet but nothing worked when plugged in. It had a loose ground in the previous box location. A previous worker tied the neutrals with a wire nut, but didn't twist the wires. The nut loosened a little and resulted in an open circuit that tested hot with a voltage tester. An experienced electrician found it and fixed the problem in about two minutes.

If the trailer 120 volt lost it's neutral, it will do the same thing. The hot wire is fine and a voltage tester will register power to the box. If it lost it's neutral, nothing will work when plugged in. I'd redo everything from the breaker box back to the service panel.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign