Old 08-18-2004, 12:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question 72 overlander radio speakers

in my 1972 27' overlander there are three oem speakers, two in the forward area and on in the state room between the galley and the head. i have been unable to locate where the radio was originally installed, thus where the wires from the speakers may be found. can anyone help.

thanks-

emanon

Old 08-18-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Radio in '72 Overlander

Emanon -

I sold my '72 27'Overlander a year ago. The (upgraded) FM stereo and cassette were housed in the tambor covered cabinets above the front couch/fold out bed. A wiring diagram can be obtained by ordering a Service Manual from Airstream in Ohio. As I remember, it lists exact placement of speaker wires along the legth of the trailer. I passed all this info along to the new owner and no longer have access to it.

Good luck!

Mark

Old 08-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

mark-

thanks for the reply. this trailer also had an aftermarket radio installed under the control panel. the radio is now gone. i was able to find a +12v and ground wire but no wires that match those at the speakers. i'm jonesin' because i can't watch baseball on the radio.

thanks-

larry
Old 09-11-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

I haven't noticed any speakers in my '71, but...

when I took out the control panel, I found a bundle of wires that looked like speaker wires. I bet if you pulled your panel, you'd find them pretty easily.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Speaker Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon25
in my 1972 27' overlander there are three oem speakers, two in the forward area and on in the state room between the galley and the head. i have been unable to locate where the radio was originally installed, thus where the wires from the speakers may be found. can anyone help.

thanks-

emanon
I've also experienced the missing speaker wires. Mine had fallen down behind the fiberglass insulation, but I did find them by fishing around. From what I found in my Overlander it seems the OEM system used a common ground (all the ground wires from the four speakers were put together). And they were connected to the ground wire as well. This is not normally acceptable for modern CD/AM/FM units that need to have each speaker ground connected separately to the amp.

So, once you do find the wires, you may have to do some minor cutting and re-wiring. I used an ohm meter to determine which ground wire went with its positive line. I have the color code if you get to that part.

I did have a tough time finding 4" replacement speakers shallow enough to fit, but finally settled for two pairs of 4 ohm speakers with spacer rings from WalMart that actually sound awesome. I can't believe I'm saying this since I'm a tube amp fanatic, but it really sounds good! The whole Airstream resonates nicely at about 100 watts output!

Anybody out there want my OEM Jensens? They're a little noisey, but they are original!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Hey guy,
I would be happy to take those speakers off your hands! I am going to be out of town this week but if you PM me with the details...shipping and what nots....I can get back to you on Thurs.
Joe
Old 09-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecj76
Hey guy,
I would be happy to take those speakers off your hands! I am going to be out of town this week but if you PM me with the details...shipping and what nots....I can get back to you on Thurs.
Joe
after reviewing the drawings and doing lots of head scatching and digging thru the fiberglass, i finally matched up all the wires to four speakers two front, two aft. so i will be leaving them in place. they are in no way remarkable, should be available at a car audio store. even the grilles look like they'd be easy to find.

only tricky part was that all four speakers had one black wire and one color-coded wire. to find the correct black wire, use a 9 volt battery. hold the colored wire against one terminal then try touching black wires to the other. when you hear a sound from the speaker, you've found the matching black wire.

emanon