Old 04-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
7 Pin Connector on an Argosy

Hey Everyone!

Newbie for sure.

I am going to pull a 76 Argosy with a 7 pin female connector. I have 4 pin female connector on my SUV. I've done research on a converter but not sure exactly what I need, since all the one's see on the net don't seem to look right. I will not be able to re-wire at the site. I am buying it and then we are off. 6 hour drive.

Am I nuts or is there a way to make sure I have some sort of brake lights?

Thanks

Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You need a 7 pin male connector on your TV. You also need a brake controller on your TV.
Without the above you will not be legal and will not have operating brakes on the trailer.
A 4 pin connector only provides for tail lights, turn/brake lights. Not for brakes.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks. I understand that, but I am looking for the specific part I need to accomplish that. I have a 7 pin on my SUV but it's been disabled. The 4 pin is working but the Argosy has a 7 pin female connector.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You use a 7 pin , not a 4 pin boat trailer plug, you need 7 pin plug for brakes and lights, no short cuts here..:
Old 04-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
You need to get the 7 blade trailer light connector on your tow vehicle working, BEFORE you tow. I doubt that it is disabled. More likely, it needs to be completed.

1. Unless your tow vehicle came with a brake controller, you need to have one installed. It is illegal to tow in some situations without working brakes on the trailer. Your tow vehicle has specifications that set the trailer weight limits that may be lower than the law allows. Read the owner's manual. If you travel outside of GA, other states will have different laws. https://dps.georgia.gov/sites/dps.ge..._sheet_054.pdf

2. Many tow vehicles come from the factory missing the fuses for trailer lights. Check to see if some are missing. Or, call the dealer to ask about your specific vehicle.

3. If the trailer's umbilical cord has the round pins that will not fit the flat blade that is on your tow vehicle, you can purchase an adapter or replace the cord end with one that matches your tow vehicle. Note the function (not color) of each wire. The wires on older trailers are different from newer vehicles, so you really have to pay attention to get it right, when replacing cord ends.

4. The converter has nothing to do with towing, you do not need one to tow. You need a charged battery in the trailer for the emergency trailer brake to activate, in case the trailer accidently becomes separated from the tow vehicle. With the 7 blade connector on the tow vehicle, the trailer's battery is charged by the tow vehicle.

Good luck!
Be safe!

add edit:
If you do not understand all of these things, get someone to help you that does!
Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
7 pin connector

I dont mean to hyjack this thread but while on the subject of pin conectors perhap someone has a suggestion for my issue. The weight of my main 7 wire connector drags the pins down at the actual connection to the TV beause of the cable weight. Any ideas to secure this connection ??
Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
I dont mean to hyjack this thread but while on the subject of pin conectors perhap someone has a suggestion for my issue. The weight of my main 7 wire connector drags the pins down at the actual connection to the TV beause of the cable weight. Any ideas to secure this connection ??
I wrap a short bungee around the jack then place the power cord in the hooks on each end, about a foot apart. Squeeze the hook with pliers tight enough to hold the power cord without damaging it. A bungee lasts me a couple years before it starts looking bad.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quick and probably illegal

I saw some 4 to 7 adapters at a tool store, so they do make them.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
7 Pin Connector on an Argosy

The 4 to 7 pin adapter WILL NOT WORK FOR TOWING THE ARGOSY.
As stated above you need a fully functional 7 pin six wire system which must be wired correctly.
The function of each of the 6 wires are as follows.
Ground
12 volt charge line
Left turn/brake
Right turn/brake
Tail/marker lights
Trailer brakes
Since the old Argosy was not wired the same as modern trailers. You must identify each wires function and connect them according to the pin out for a modern tow vehicle.
You can find the pin out info for modern equipment on websites like etrailer.com
It is CRITICAL that you have a brake controller in your vehicle that you know functions correctly to energize the electric brakes on the trailer.
Your trailers empty weight is north of 4,000 pounds. In certain situations you may not be able to stop your rig with only the TV brakes.
If you are not confident in wiring the system correctly and checking the functionality of all lights and especially the trailer brakes. You need to get qualified help.
This is imperative for yours and others SAFETY!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Thank you for all the support. So the end of the thread is this. You can connect all the wires you want, but if the light sockets are so corroded not a connector in the word will get those break lights on it can be futile. What I learned attempting to buy a 1976 Argosy: Bring 4 pin Auxiliary lights with you. (you can buy them at any Walmart, or Autozone) However, also bring a 12 foot extension. They only come in 20 foot lengths. Also, be prepared to buy new tires. Two words: Dry Rot. One more hint. Make sure you have stabilizer bars on the hitch. Sway at 60 mph will make for a long day.

We made the 12 hour drive safe and sound. More post's to come for sure. Ready to rehab our dream.

Thanks again.