Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
68 Safari Central Control Diagram

Good evening all!

My name is Curt and I just purchased my first Airstream in Dec. 08. A friend had this old 1968 Safari in her yard and wanted to part with it. So i made an offer and pulled the trailer home for $500.00. At the time I knew nothing about the trailer but after I got it home and started cleaning it out and digging around, I found a folder full of original diagrams and other documentation about the trailer. I also found the registration that told me what year it was, then confermed the serial number with the registration. I was suprised to find that it was a 1968 model. This trailer had been sitting for 9 years until I towed it home, someone had take out the left side window and tried to add a window mounted AC unit that rotted and leaked inside causing the entire front of the trailer floor to rot. I ripped out all the old flooring, then found that the gally cabinets also were rotted and actually fell apart when trying to remove them. But I replaced the flooring and will do my best to have a friend rebuild the cabinets and sofa's for me.

Any how, I ran across some wireing diaigrams I thought many of you might need or have been looking for. This was part of the folder I found, I scanned the manual (B/W) and have posted the phots for your use if needed.

Thanks,
Curt

this is the link to the album on photobucket
truc_05/Other Airstream - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

truc_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Hi Curt, Welcome to the community. Thanks for posting the diagrams for the central control. I believe this was the first year that Airstream used a panel like this, so someone should find this useful. Good luck with your 68 it's worth it.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations Curt!!!

Please be sure to post pics of your '68 and let us know how the renovations come along.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
here are my links on photobucket.com

This one is when I removed some of the rotten wood from the front.

truc_05/Airstream Before - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is in progress (new subfloor)
truc_05/Airstream - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I don't want to rain on your parade but you are setting yourself up for future problems. The wooden floor is an integral part of the shell to frame attachment. If there is rot at the perimeter of the floor the shell can sag down causing all sorts of issues. The new floor should go outboard another two inches all the way around under what is known as the "C" channel then the whole assembly is bolted together. Check out some of the threads in this section of the forum. Welcome to the circus.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
thanks for the advice!
I actually had all ready removed the front section (after these pictures were take) because I didnt like the way we laid out the board in the front. It didnt feel sterdy enough for me, and it sagged when weight was applied in some area. I took another board and cut it I wanna say 60 inches, then used my template to round off the edges and ran the board side to side, this time I didnt have any issues getting it to slide into the channels under the walls as I did before. The other two boards near the center I will also be cutting down into smaller sections to get it under the wall as it should be. But that is Friday's project along with I hope some paint on Saturday.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Marshalls Corner Shop

1970 23' Safari
Clarkston , Michigan
Curt,
Thanks for posting the schematic of the command central. I've been looking for this. I ordered a copy of the service manual for a 1972 and it does not have this info. The circuit board is similar to my 1970. I just completed repairing it. Had some corrosion issues and lost a trace on the board.
Thanks again,
Dean
Marshall's Corner Shop
Clarkston, MI
drm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Hi Curt, are you still out there? I have a '68 Sovereign and if you still have these diagrams, I could sure use them. Thanks! Joe
BuffaloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote